N-Europe

EA Playground

Cube

Electronic Arts will later this week officially announce a brand new title for Nintendo's next-generation console. The game, tentatively titled EA Playground, is developed by EA Canada is set for a fall release on both Wii and DS. Each version will take advantage of the unique attributes of the systems to deliver players multiplayer-enhanced experiences inspired by such titles as Wii Sports. We recently chatted with EA Playground's executive producer, Dave McCarthy, to learn more. Here's what he had to say:

IGN Wii: What is EA Playground all about?

Dave McCarthy: EA Playground is all about capturing the sheer fun of being a kid. We've designed a dream playground full of interesting characters, cool collectables, and most importantly, a mix of easy to pick up and incredibly fun playground games. There are some classic favorites in there along with some new twists. It's all packaged together in a meaningful single player "campaign" to play your way through the schoolyard. In addition, there's also an approachable and fun multiplayer party experience that will appeal to all ages.

IGN Wii: Can you tell us about some of the games in EA Playground and how they utilize the Wii/NDS control schemes?

Dave McCarthy: When we started designing the game we had a ton of good ideas to choose from. After all, kids are incredibly creative when it comes to having fun in a playground setting. We put together our short list based on fun factor, approachability, multiplayer appeal, and the opportunity for control innovation. The cool thing is that we were left with a mix of games representing a range of genres, so there's always something different to try out in the playground.

On Wii, there's a mix of games that cover frantic actions mapped to gestures (e.g. throwing and dodging in Dodge Ball) and others that take advantage of navigating the entire world (e.g. RC Car Racing). While set in a similar universe, there are game types exclusive to the NDS version that use stylus mechanics (e.g. Bug Hunt) and even microphone input (e.g. Spit Balls). I won't get into all the games and mechanics quite yet, but I think it's safe to say you'll be entertained with the creative approaches our team has taken to playground games.

IGN Wii: What's the multiplayer mode like?

Dave McCarthy: I personally think that multiplayer parties are the ideal way to play EA Playground. Whether you do four-player local parties on the Wii or wireless sessions on the DS, you'll find that all games are multiplayer supported and that frantic simultaneous play is the order of the day. The games are all easy to pick up and play (e.g. remote-only on Wii), along with easy game entry, so it's the ideal game to crowd around with people of all ages. Just pick your games, specify your "rule set," choose a character, and track scores in your party session. You'll also find that as you progress through the single player "campaign" you'll unlock more games, characters, and environments to play with.

IGN Wii: Does EA Playground revolve around a storyline?

Dave McCarthy: Given that we've designed EA Playground for kids of all ages, we wanted to offer a twist to the traditional single-player campaign experience that kids could easily relate to. When I was a kid, I obsessed over my sticker collection and I see that same fascination in my own kids today. So what we've done is populated the game with a wide selection of cool looking stickers you can collect based on playing various games, completing special dare challenges, and exploring areas of the playground world. You can customize the look of your sticker book as you triumph through single and multiplayer games, and show it off to all of your friends.

ea-playground-20070501042446690.jpg

ea-playground-20070501042447409.jpg

ea-playground-20070501042452581.jpg

What the shit is that...

Exactly, the Wii doesnt need more of these types of games. Minigame fests catering to a popular Nintendo stereotype. If developers are smart they will make games that are not currently available on the console if they want true success. A good FPS with online play, vehicles, wii remote controls for example would sell millions.

Looks like a downgrade of Mario Party. Don't know why everyone is bitching so far about the game - it is essentially the same as Mario Party within a different gaming universe with different multiplayer games.

At least new mini games ... after MP 1-6 most of the mini games are awfully similar.

In before Zelda Freak and Zechs Marquize saying it's a crappy game for kids.

Anyway, I've been liking this kind of games more and more, they're fun, I can play them in short bursts and everyone can play it with me, so count me in if it's good. Funny to see how EA is actually one of the most competent 3rd parties working on Wii right now.

Anyway, I've been liking this kind of games more and more, they're fun, I can play them in short bursts and everyone can play it with me, so count me in if it's good. Funny to see how EA is actually one of the most competent 3rd parties working on Wii right now.

I agree with Hellfire! I love these types of games, finally my mates are getting into them because of the Wiimote and so now we play them! I'd be the only one playing on these sorts of games normally!

Also, EA have been great on the Wii so far, this could turn out to be really fun!

The only thing that will make me buy this, is if some of the games do have depth of complexity on a par with Wii Sports, to an extent where I keep coming to them and playing them again... such as the likes of the Dodgeball part!

EDIT:

one thing that may have been cool for this would have been the ability to import your My Sims characters seems like they have gone for another style of character in this...

I know its a game for kids but that isn't such a bad thing in a business sense because thats the main user of wii is a younger audience. However I think if you look at the second picture in the main post, judging from the clarity of the HUD means that it could be from the wii version. I'm not judging this because its a kids game but textures, where are they in that game.

I still don't know why developers will show crap screens of their games. And my personal opinion is that I find them short, unimaginative, and repetitive.

I agree. As I work for a living I have less time to spend playing games so prefer to play them in short bursts. :)

The concept sounds good so long as each game is suitably full-fledged, but seriously, what were they thinking with those character designs? The environments have a nice look about them, but those kids are horrifying.

bets on it's using the exact same engine as my sims. it even looks the same.

I'll give ea the benifit of the doubt here. they have been fantastic on wii so far and i don't remeber them ever trying a mini game fest before. I'm interested only if it is a slight challenge and not completely kid friendly

...I'll give ea the benifit of the doubt here. they have been fantastic on wii so far and i don't remeber them ever trying a mini game fest before. I'm interested only if it is a slight challenge and not completely kid friendly

I'm in agreement here, EA have been great so far, they really have surprised me. I can't say I expected anything decent from EA!

...on another note, Ubisoft have really disappointed me! It's like my impressions of each company switched this gen!

I'm in agreement here, EA have been great so far, they really have surprised me. I can't say I expected anything decent from EA!

...on another note, Ubisoft have really disappointed me! It's like my impressions of each company switched this gen!

yeah me to, before the wii came out was excited at the prospect of Red Steel and Rayman and thought it was a sign of things to come but then we've just seen shite port after shite port...and we havn't heard much about any new IP, we know Red Steel 2 is in development and thats all.

I mean ok some of us ain't happy with EA's output as it is aimed at the casual Wii market. But from a business sense it makes so much well sense, they are in the industry to make money after all and games like My Sims and EA Playground will sell.To be honest though I am happy with the "hardcore" games they have released thus far, a good port of Godfather, a new version of SSX. I think as the user base increases we will see more hardcore titles as I still think there are a lot of people waiting to be given a reason to get a Wii.