N-Europe

Serious Thread: Scottish (and hey, why not Welsh!) Independence.

Blackfox

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course we should be independant. We are better than England anyway!

More seriously, I think it's hard, but entirely possible. The SNP are doing well in the polls as far as I know ahed of May 3rd (Scottish elections). If Scotland does split off there will be the good sides and the bad sides, but in the end I think it's a really hard one to call.

For one we will actually be a country.

You know its illegal to hang a scottish flag on a goverment owned building? No flags on schools, hospitals. You can bet your ass though that the england flag is allowed down south.

There's also govermental issues such as if war is declared then scotland loses any power it has and everything is controlled by england. Armed forces, nukes everything heads straight down to london while we get the shit bombed out of us.

I not entirely for independence, but I believe that scotland should be treated more like a seperate nation and not a region of england as it most usually is.

Lol something else that anyone in Scotland will tell you.

Sports:

England team win you hear commentators praising England

Scotland win and suddenly the team becomes "British"

This is what happens at the moment with pretty much anything historical. Slavery was all done by the English, but it's the huge, rich, and powerful empire was British.

You know its illegal to hang a scottish flag on a goverment owned building? No flags on schools, hospitals. You can bet your ass though that the england flag is allowed down south.

It is? I've never once seen the English flag on any buildings other than pubs, shops and houses. We aren't nationalistic.

The only flag you ever see on government buildings is, if anything, the Union Jack, which is, as the name suggests, the flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

ye are british, there is no point seperating like the Irish did

To be fair, the Irish were never really whole to begin with. Has an Irish nation ever lasted over 50 years? (honest question, im not being sarcastic)

I dont really think there should be a complete split, but certainly more power to the Scottish Parlament would be nice. If we do split then im back off up to Scotland to enjoy some of this extra money that'll be floating around the government.

High oil supply + low population = good medical care, good schools and low taxes :grin:

the Scottish NHS gets 125% of every pound the Scottish Goverment take in tax - whereas English NHS get 75% of every pound that Westminister takes. Fair? No.

Why would that mean England get more money for the NHS if Scotland are independent? Health is a devolved matter meaning the Westminster doesn't get a say in it.

I'm happy as we are now for Scotland. We, unfortunately, won't be able to support ourselves if we become independent. We just don't make enough money.

Daft thread.

Why not ask if we should make London independant? Same sort of result, London would infact be the richest nation in the world!

You know Scotland is already 50%ish independent already?

So you feel Scottish instead of Brittish?

Yes, I never say I'm British, always Scottish.

Its actually quite funny that some Scots cry about Independance, because, as Moria said, there would be a real struggle for money. But it's especially fiunny since out of all of Britain, Scotland has the most independance anyway.

It would also be almost impossible due to all kinds of things, epsecially the armed forces, though it could go into a semi-independance, where some things stay (and to me, the Union Jack/Flag only really represents the British Armed Forces anyway, as there's nothing else to be proud of).

If Scotland or Wales became fully independant then they wouldnt have much of an economy. I hate the whole devolved government shit, this is a whole country and shold be governed so.

and what is it with racist scots? having a grudge with the english based on scottish stereotypes and ancient history?

I can't see the problem with Scottish independence. I don't think there would be a struggle for money as many people claim. I mean look at Ireland, they were once part of Britain and thanks to investment by electronics firms and a small population they now have a GDP per capita almost equalling that of the United States and beating Britain by a long way. So Scotland could easily do the same using the remaining oil and gas in the North Sea as a boost pad for further revenue and investment.

Lol something else that anyone in Scotland will tell you.

Sports:

Yep, I've noticed that as well. If a Scottish person succeeds in a sport they straight away get lauded as British, but as soon as they fail they go back to being Scottish. :grin:

By being the most Eurosceptic country. Thankfully your government understands the importance of being part of the EU. As for the immigrants, supposedly UK natives had a better education and conditions and should be able to get a job (I know this isn't exactly true), I also doubt that your immigrant problems comes from within the EU.

i think you need to get your facts straight.

1) Why would we join the EU? what benefit is there for us to do it? We have one of the strongest economies in the world once we join the euro that is gone and we are totally dependent on other nations pulling their fingers out of their asses and working.

2) the UK is vastly different culturally (although that will chang with Political correctness but that is for another thread) to all other EU contries. The EU directives in place in the UK have already upset a vast majority of the population. The UK and Europe are not compatible.

3) the majority of immigrants are from with in the EU, as they have no restrictions because they are a member state. Anyone outside the EU will have extra problems as they have no rights in the UK. There are a few exceptions as there always are.

back on topic we should all be seperate countries or 1 country.

1) Why would we join the EU? what benefit is there for us to do it? We have one of the strongest economies in the world once we join the euro that is gone and we are totally dependent on other nations pulling their fingers out of their asses and working.

2) the UK is vastly different culturally (although that will chang with Political correctness but that is for another thread) to all other EU contries. The EU directives in place in the UK have already upset a vast majority of the population. The UK and Europe are not compatible.

3) the majority of immigrants are from with in the EU, as they have no restrictions because they are a member state. Anyone outside the EU will have extra problems as they have no rights in the UK. There are a few exceptions as there always are.

I see no hard facts in your post, just your views.

Quite frankly that British euroskepticism is incredibly annoying.

look at point 3 those are facts as i originate from outside the EU i know the immigration system quite well.

The fact i was illuding too was the one where my "learned friend" (always wanted to use that) stated that most immigrants came from outside the EU. They most deffinately do not.

Why is it so important for the british to join europe? it seems to me that Europe have more to gain than britain does. If this wasnt so why are we being slatted for our "euroskepticism"

it seems to me that Europe have more to gain than britain does. If this wasnt so why are we being slatted for our "euroskepticism"
This confirms my thoughts exactly. It's not a bloody competition. Even if Europe would gain so much by Britain 'joining in' (which by my memory they have been for decades) and Britain would gain just a little, wouldn't that be great? Britain helps out Europe and they gain something back to. The attitude of sitting on that egocentrical island some of you have just to let other countries not profit from you and you from others (which was in fact the entire point of the EU) is ignorant. There are so many disadvantages of not being part of it that I can't begin to list it.

Why is it so important for the british to join europe? it seems to me that Europe have more to gain than britain does. If this wasnt so why are we being slatted for our "euroskepticism"

You know, I'm sure that Britain is already part of Europe, considering we're part of the European Union...

What about the advantages? you seem to miss those out. We dont want the Euro simple as that what is the bloody problem? Yes we are part of the EU as a result we have some stupid ass laws that are governed by the EU, that we had no choice over i might add.

Because someone in europe thought "hhhmmm wouldn't it be great to have one big european community" everyone must agree i think not. The thing i dont get is if we are such an "egocentrical island" why the hell does everyone want to come here?

EDIT: at Moria we are part of europe but not totally as we have not adopted the Euro hense our economy is not linked with the rest of europe.

1) GB is part of the EU. As for the Euro, seriously, that strong economy means nothing. France, Spain and Italy are strong economies, Germany is even a stronger economy than UK.

2)UK ain't vastly different, get of your high horse. Every country inside the EU has its unique story and tradition, and being part of it doesn't change a bit who we are. And don't think you're the only country with divergences against EU's policies.

3)SchengenAgreement_map.png

See this? This is the Schengen agreement map. See the UK there? And the light blue countries aren't part of that, and it means that UK is probably the only EU country where I need a passport.

look at point 3 those are facts as i originate from outside the EU i know the immigration system quite well."

I find this extremely ironic.

The fact i was illuding too was the one where my "learned friend" (always wanted to use that) stated that most immigrants came from outside the EU. They most deffinately do not.

Why is it so important for the British to join Europe? it seems to me that Europe have more to gain than britain does. If this wasnt so why are we being slatted for our "euroskepticism"

Most immigrants are indeed from within the EU, what I said is, those aren't the ones that give you more trouble. And I'm certain that the UK has a lot more too loose than the rest of the EU members, if it left the union.

This confirms my thoughts exactly. It's not a bloody competition. Even if Europe would gain so much by Britain 'joining in' (which by my memory they have been for decades) and Britain would gain just a little, wouldn't that be great? Britain helps out Europe and they gain something back to. The attitude of sitting on that egocentrical island some of you have just to let other countries not profit from you and you from others (which was in fact the entire point of the EU) is ignorant. There are so many disadvantages of not being part of it that I can't begin to list it.

We get nothing compared to what we put in.

Most immigrants are indeed from within the EU, what I said is, those aren't the ones that give you more trouble. And I'm certain that the UK has a lot more too loose than the rest of the EU members, if it left the union.

Nope...I don't think so. We have good relations with a lot of countries, especially Commonwealth ones.

it means that UK is probably the only EU country where I need a passport.

Good...At least we've got something right.

Yes, I never say I'm British, always Scottish.

I never say British, I say English instead, as British has all that crap that Americans seem to think that English and British are one and the same. For example, I once saw an American refer to "British soccer fans rioting".

The correct terminology is "English football fans rioting".

And people who call an posh English accent "a British accent" need a damn good slapping.

thread hi-jack ahoy! :)

on the point of the Euro, it serves the bigger countries better because they'll have more sway on the ECB who set the Euro-zone wide base interest rate.

I will say the EU has been good to Britain, and yes we put in more than we get out money-wise, but is it really wrong to help out the poorer countries when we are living in a very rich one?

the only thing that annoys me is that the French will not give up the huge farm subsidies they get every year that they don't really need