• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

For the love of christ! stop saying stunning!

Apologetic and defensive etc.

------

I've just realised how surreally awesome it is that Tilda Swinton narrates Patrick Wolf's The Bachelor. Having an Oscar winner on his side.

I'm not even hyperbolising when I say it's the best album of 2009 so far. Two Suns and The Bachelor - the king and queen of albums in 2009.

I love that he's succeeded in saying "Fuck you" to the mainstream music business, by releasing it off his own music label. If I had been aware that he was taking donations to help fund it, I would have donated.

After spending too much time playing that Freezepop of Guitar Hero too much I decided to take the step and actually listen to some more songs from them.

Over all I am really liking it and I´m not really that much into that sort of music.

It has a bit of a hypnotic tune on their songs and their songs are very catchy.

Annoyed! Muse tickets were sold out online by 8.55, which is useful since they were supposed to go on sale at 9.00. Managed to get a hold of 3 seated tickets over the phone, but who the fuck wants to sit at a Muse gig?

I shall continue my efforts to secure some standing tickets regardless.

How was your luck, spirited?

Edited by Gizmo

Albums released in 2009 that I own; (i.e are on my itunes, and so have/can give a good listen of/idea of the quality within)

Sounds Of The Universe - Depeche Mode

Fight Like Apes And the Mystery Of The Golden Medallion - Fight Like Apes

Actor - St.Vincent

Dark Was The Night - Various Arists

Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective

The Crying Light - Antony & The Johnsons

Approaching Normal - Blue October

Grey Britain - Gallows

Veckatimest - Grizzly Bear

Around The Well - Iron & Wine

A Woman A Man Walked By - PJ Harvey & John Parish

Two Suns - Bat For Lashes

Fever Ray - Fever Ray

All I Ever Wanted - Kelly Clarkson

The Fame - Lady GaGa

It's Not Me, It's You - Lily Allen

The High End Of Low - Marilyn Manson

Jewellery - Micachu

Years Of Refusal - Morissey

Middle Cyclone - Neko Case

Sunny Side Up - Paolo Nutini

The Bachelor - Patrick Wolf

I Feel Cream - Peaches

Polly Scattergood - Polly Scattergood

Fine Fascination - Red Light Company

Junior - Royksopp

The Eternal - Sonic Youth

Abnormally Attracted To Sin - Tori Amos

It's Blitz! - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Hannah Montana: The Movie (...)

Red are ones I haven't listened to yet.

Blue are ones I started but got bored and haven't continued since.

Bolded are excellent albums everyone should pick up.

A lot of those will probably end up bolded, but I haven't listened properly to them. (Like grizzy bear maybe)

Can I suggest one album that you should listen to from this year.

Grammatics self titled it is IMO a fantastic album and one you'll probably hear very little about although it has got some brilliant reviews.

Even if you don't like them it can't be much worse than the Hannah Montana soundtrack

My favourite tracks at the moment happen to be:

Rise against - Saviour

Seether - Beer

Deftones - Knife Party

Hero of war is a good song, not amazingly good lyric wise, but its a powerful song, infact nearly all of rise against songs are powerful. They are brilliant to see live which adds to it all.

I like littleboots song, my friend introduced me to her a while back, before she was out in the charts, I've never gotten round to downloading though, sigh.

Remember I cried blood when I found out Gaga was covering Don't Give Up by Peter Gabirlel and Kate Bush (shitly)?

Just heard the new rapper-of-the-month song with her singing the chorus. I can't believe it. I don't think she could have ripped of M.I.A/Santogold anymore. It's ridiculous. This Wale character obviously wanted MIA and she said no, she'd rather not have to guest on shit songs, so he got Lady Fuckface to imitate MIA?!!

I'm going to ram this rod in her.

Sohodolls - Stripper.

"Heeeey! Strippaaaaaaaar! I like your underwaaaaaar!"

--

Then, just because I rediscovered how much I love this song to bits.

Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles

--

Christina Aguilera's new album will be a double disk of 23 songs and will be called Light & Darkness. The Light disk will be all future/electro sounding (la la Lady GaGa/Ladytron eg) while the Darkness disk will be a mixture of her usual soul/ballards.. First single is rumored to be called Mind Control and expect a leak in a few weeks of it. Album is out September. She has also covered Ladyhawkes My Delirium.

Not that I'm massively bothered, unless the single is amazing.

Edited by Slaggis

If you were to make a mixtape CD of 10 songs that define what your music taste is, which would you choose?

Mine:

Glass - Bat For Lashes

Hunter - Bjork

In The Flowers - Animal Collective

Citizen Of The Planet - Alanis Morissette

Relief Next To Me - Tegan & Sara

Breathing - Kate Bush

You Don't Have To Be Afraid - Kaki King

Angelene - PJ Harvey

Cosmia (Y's Street Band EP version) - Joanna Newsom

Precious Things (Live @ RAINN) - Tori Amos

^ Oh, that's an interesting one. I'll have to think about that. My taste is so varied that it'll be interesting to see what I come up with. I'll post what I get later on.

----------

Been listening to Mojo Pin by Jeff Buckley. So awesome. Love it. To be fair, apart from that an Hallelujah, I haven't exactly listen to much of the album Grace as they've sort of wrangled my hold. I'll check the rest out over the coming days but just love Mojo Pin. Really good song. Love it when the guitars get into it fully.

Not a list of favourite songs/artists, but songs a list that encompass genres/styles that I can't get enough of. Unfortunately the names like Sinead O Connor will bring ot mind sad ballads, but the first song isn't that at all.

- I Am Stretched On Your Grave - Sinead O'Connor

- All Neon Like - Bjork

- Bluebells - Patrick Wolf

- Over - Portishead

- Future Lovers / I Feel Love (Live) - Madonna

- Gunshy - Liz Phair

- Father Lucifer - Tori Amos

- My Donald - Rachel Unthank & The Winterset

- The Apple Stretching - Grace Jones

- Hands Around My Throat - Death In Vegas

There's no out an out rawk on that, but Death In Vegas suggests that. Folk is represented by Rachel (real folk), lo-fi guitar stuff by Liz, fucked up harpsicord/classical influence by Tori, Trip-hop stuff by Portishead and Sinead (and Bjork) and awesome electro/disco pop by madonna.

I am so hyped for The Gossips "Music For Men" album considering "Heavy Cross" is so amazing. Read an interview that she did in the latest issue of Attitude, I love how much she kept emphasising that it was basically an album for gay men (As in, she'll feel the album is a success if it's played in gay clubs and loved).

But, hopefully it'll be better than their previous album, which was completely hit and miss. (Jelous Girls, Standing In The Way Of Control and Listen Up were fantastic)

Oh, and the album cover. I thought it was a man...but it's not. Lesbians scare me. :p

--

Literally just heard 30 Seconds To Mars - The Kill and I have to say I love it. Though, the little bit of screaming in it ruins it. I'm so behind the times. Rest of their stuff any good?

Edited by Slaggis

she kept emphasising that it was basically an album for gay men (As in, she'll feel the album is a success if it's played in gay clubs and loved).

Which probably means that the album will be shite, considering the majority of gay men have appalling taste.

Literally just heard 30 Seconds To Mars - The Kill and I have to say I love it. Though, the little bit of screaming in it ruins it. I'm so behind the times. Rest of their stuff any good?

It's very meh.

I deleted them off my iTunes, because they were cluttering my life up. They don't take anything away, but they don't add anything either.

They do a meh cover of Bjork's Hunter, which makes you want to listen to the real version.

My list of 10 songs:

Mother Earth/Ice Queen - Within Temptation (can't decide between the two)

Going Under - Evanescence

Mojo Pin - Jeff Buckley

Ocean Drive - Lighthouse Family

The Kids Aren't Alright - The Offspring

Peace of Mind - Boston

Victory Is Won - Santana

For A Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic - Paramore

Poison - Alice Cooper

Into Dust - Ashtar Command

Was hard just to pick 10 songs from individuals as I have over 200 in my library. List could be better but it covers a decent area of music.

Which probably means that the album will be shite, considering the majority of gay men have appalling taste.

I can't see that happening though tbh, considering Heavy Cross is amazing. Then again, I suppose it could go the same way as the last and have only a couple of standout tracks. But meh, have to see when it's released, but here's hoping.

Though, her mention of Katy Perry fucked me off amazingly (She said she was a disgrace to the gay community, or something) purely for Kissed A Girl. Massive over-reaction much? I hate how instead of chosing to mention stuff like Prop 8 and what not, she feels the biggest battle the gay community is facing at the moment is...Katy Perry. Annoys me so much, it's a fun song, that's it.

Oh, I've rambled.

Edited by Slaggis
Automerged Doublepost

I liked 30 Seconds To Mars for about 30 seconds, 2 years ago. I like Jared Leto as an actor in some things, and I like that Homogenic by Bjork is (rightly) one of his favourite albums, but they're meh as chair said.

It does annoy me that people might think they wrote Hunter.

Though, her mention of Katy Perry fucked me off amazingly (She said she was a disgrace to the gay community, or something) purely for Kissed A Girl. Massive over-reaction much? I hate how instead of chosing to mention stuff like Prop 8 and what not, she feels the biggest battle the gay community is facing at the moment is...Katy Perry. Annoys me so much, it's a fun song, that's it.

Oh, I've rambled.

But the fact of the matter is that it pisses everyone off that she's come along with that song and falsely represented the gay community. And stupid people (American Bible Bashers) think she does represent the gay community.

The line "Don't mean I'm in love tonight." kills that song. Kills it dead.

Hear's something interesting for those of you into Kanye West..

Kanye is producing Jay-Z's new album BluePrint and on it is a single called 'D.O.A', which stands for Death Of Auto-tune. Funny thing how Kanye produced the song and said in an interview that autotune is basically pointless when he went and released an ENTIRE flipping album based around that shit. Seriously it took him this long to realise?! *sigh*

As for the 10 songs:

I Used To Love H.E.R - Common

Superman - Eminem

N.Y State of Mind - Nas

I Can't Quit You Baby - Led Zeppelin

Master of Puppets - Metallica

Dirty Diana - Michael Jackson

Gone Away - The Offspring

So(ul) Amazing - Blu & Exile

Concrete Streets - Jurassic 5

Heart Of The City - Jay-Z