N-Europe

I gotta agree with Cube, no ones heard them. Hell I haven't even heard of them until now. Then again I'm a tone def musical reject who only listens to the radio.

Okay, I'm gonna be fair, here, I concede that, some of them, most people may not have heard from, BUT... are you seriously telling me you don't know who Alanis Morissette, Tori Amos, Björk or Pj Harvey are? I mean, none of these names are familiar to you? If not, you're just like Cube, an alien! I mean, these are all fairly mainstream artists who are very well known! It's the equivalent of me going to the film thread and asking what do Ron Howard and Christopher Nolan have in common and someone answering "nobody knows who they are". Yeah, neither of them is Spielberg or Scorcese-famous, but they're both very well known in the medium, just like these musicians are very well known in their medium (music), even if they're not Madonna-famous. And what's flaring is that I guarantee you that you know songs by all 4 of the artists I mentioned, you just don't know that they're the ones behind them... so here's the real question: is it that nobody's heard them or is it that you just don't care about the subject matter?

This isn't a rant nor am I angry or anything like such, it's just that it's a bit annoying when people only recognize 5 big names from the music industry... I mean, we're not talking about obscure artists like... say... Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis or William Basinski, these are very well known people who sell out huge shows on a regular basis... So yeah, pardon me if I feel like you're just being a bit too pushy on the counter culture.

However, like I made it clear in the white text, that's just the way Cube is, and I quite enjoy him the way he is. He's quite unique, which is more than I can say for most people. Oh, and you're on the safe zone too, don't worry... I was just "clarifying", even if somewhat aggressively. :geek:

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay for Oxigen. At least leetpants admitted he only listened to the radio though, so it's mildly acceptable.

A good few years back now I only listened to the radio, which pretty much introduced me to bands like Coldplay, - ::shrug: - Foo Fighters , - around the time of In Your Honor , but I then 'backtracked' their earlier (better) stuff - Kasier Chiefs , - the first album, when they were actually decent Imo- Keane , Muse, - who I still adore - Snow Patrol, - oh and Oxigen, I listened to When It's All Over We Still Have To Clear Up again recently and enjoyed it a lot more :P - anddd I think that was it at the time...

But I then built on my music collection from there over the years and it has diversified somewhat thanks to someone I know who got me into bands like Biffy Clyro , Dandy Warhols , Editors , - I actually liked them before that but from then I bought their albums - Elbow , - I really love their music - Guillemots , - saw them live once, they were excellent :) - Interpol , - I have much love for them - Kings of Leon , - I really like their singing style though they have become more coherant recently - Maximo Park , - I'll always love their first album the most but each album is really enjoyable - MGMT , - really like - annnnd Silversun Pickups who are probably one of my favourite bands that I was introduced to.

As for from just browsing here / developing my own musical interests, I have ended up picking up albums from a good few artists such as... Kate Bush , - I was curious at the time :p - Metallica , - always had been menaing to give them a listen - Modest Mouse , Pearl Jam , Portishead, - thanks Paj - Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead , - Fake Plastic Trees = <3 Royksopp , - I'd heard of them before but it wasn't until recently picking up Junior that I backtracked - and last but by no means least Temple of the Dog Dan is to thank for that one, awesome album, was listening to it again only yesterday infact. ^^

So yeah, my personal taste for music has grown quite a bit over these past few years and for better or worse - depending on your personal stance - this is the music that I like, I'm always open every now and then to hearing something different though. ;)

Oh and as a sidenote, I'd heard of about six out of those eight bands that you mentioned Chair and even though I'm not familiar enough with them to comment on what they have in common, I have listened to a reasonable amount of Alanis Morissette and I do indeed like to a degree. :)

Edited by S.C.G
spelling errorz ftl :P

Nobody has ever heard them?

How can you not have heard Robyn's song it was everywhere at 1 point. Not that I actually like it mind.

You Have No Ides What You're Getting Yourself Into by Does It Offend You, Yeah?, a band I know very little about and havn't heard any songs by them. Should be interesting.

That was one of my favourite albums last year.

Dawn of The Dead is clearly the best song from it but all the songs are great.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

and now I need to listen to the album again

Nobody has ever heard them?

:nono:

You guys seriously don't know Bjork and Morissete? really!?

As for from just browsing here / developing my own musical interests, I have ended up picking up albums from a good few artists such as... Kate Bush , - I was curious at the time :p - Metallica , - always had been menaing to give them a listen - Modest Mouse , Pearl Jam , Portishead, - thanks Paj - Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead , - Fake Plastic Trees = <3 Roysopp , - I'd heard of them before but it wasn't until recently picking up Junior that I backtracked - and last but by no means least Temple of the Dog Dan is to thank for that one, awesome album, was listening to it again only yesterday infact. ^^

So yeah, my personal taste for music has grown quite a bit over these past few years and for better or worse - depending on your personal stance - this is the music that I like, I'm always open every now and then to hearing something different though. ;)

faintly life affirming reading! Good to know some of the good posting in here isn't wasted- despite Haggis' best efforts to prove otherwise. :bouncy:

faintly life affirming reading! Good to know some of the good posting in here isn't wasted- despite Haggis' best efforts to prove otherwise. :bouncy:

: peace: Speaking of life affirming, that pretty much sums up Temple of the Dog, it's a really enjoyable album and it makes you feel better after listening to it I find. :smile:

Well Gizmo, Ellmeister! I've listened to the new mwY album about 10 times now. The cheeky games of the fox and the beetle king and the fig are all well and truly embedded into my mind... but the album is too short, they're still all too fucking happy and I don't feel that they're as unique as they were before.

In terms of evolution, they've certainly matured over the albums from whining about a girl, to god, to a quizzical submission to their fate and -- now? There's a sort of drone-like, apathetic monotony to what they have to sing about. Folkish and drunk with sweet puddle-lane style fairy tales, they've dismissed their Grimm jacket and are fiddling for children now. They are grown ups and I, for one, feel they got through their adolescence far too quickly, and without nay nearly enough scars.

Their fanciful, sneaky-parenting terms of "mammory glands" cervical canals has no thump that can be called kin to the carnal line "where midnight needles go to work" or even the brutal imagery of "january 1979, I saw a terrible crash, I couldn't help but laugh". It is like they are actively seeking to avoid conflict. Where the spider trilogy webbed Brother, Sister with joy, inevitability and then loss, they instead turn to accordian ditties that resurface occasionally to reel the listener back into an entropical state of bland bliss and, for the worse, insist on repeatedly repeating themselves which stinks of bible-bashing high-on-life that only serves to leave the band standing firmly but propped on the legs of their religion.

Don't get me wrong; I love the band. Maybe I just think that they seem to sound too happy, considering it is widely believed that this will be their final album together.

I agree with alot of what you say. It is very noticeably more upbeat than their older stuff, but I don't necessarily dislike that. It's just different. In fact, I quite enjoy the contrast between Aaron's vocal style and the music.

I love the little animal allegories. Good fun, but also theres something a bit more there to think about. One of my favourite lyrics of theres is "A speckled bird that walked across the road, when it could have flown, and it made me smile" and it's like they took that, and the Spider songs, and just expanded on them.

My primary concern is how in-your-face the religion stuff now is. Like when they go into "What a beautiful god they must be" and repeat it like 10 times, it just makes me cringe. I've taken to skipping the track at that point, in fact. Before the religion was only ever there in some of the imagery that they use, but it's now much more explicit.

And whats this about it being the final album?

I know of Morissette from Dogma and I think my parents have Jagged Little Pill lying around somewhere. Tori Amos I only know about from this forum, Bjork and PJ Harvey.....nope. I don't doubt that you're correct in saying I have heard songs from them but I don't know the names and artists of many songs I like.

You guys also need to take into account that here in the states what's on the radio is gonna be different. /crappy excuses

I agree with alot of what you say. It is very noticeably more upbeat than their older stuff, but I don't necessarily dislike that. It's just different. In fact, I quite enjoy the contrast between Aaron's vocal style and the music.

I love the little animal allegories. Good fun, but also theres something a bit more there to think about. One of my favourite lyrics of theres is "A speckled bird that walked across the road, when it could have flown, and it made me smile" and it's like they took that, and the Spider songs, and just expanded on them.

My primary concern is how in-your-face the religion stuff now is. Like when they go into "What a beautiful god they must be" and repeat it like 10 times, it just makes me cringe. I've taken to skipping the track at that point, in fact. Before the religion was only ever there in some of the imagery that they use, but it's now much more explicit.

And whats this about it being the final album?

I loved the animal lines from the old albums, too! But think about the trash in teh alleyway, watching trains go by, or the cracked and dirty plates, the torches together...

I preferred the animals as part of this whole world of intricate meaning, where the larger focus is on how these meanings are projected by the narrator - instead this album says "look, the meaning is projected by god through all of us, so who are we to try and shade any meaning?" which is meant to be a sort of moral conclusion by the narrator, but instead the quantious questions asked over the 3 previous albums are never answered. That sudden last jump into God's faithful arms is a lot to ask for an agnostic audience.

There's a clash, spiritually, that I won't be able to overcome with the album. I can still listen to it and admire it, but I don't think it will become entwined with my world view like the otheres are. I liked the angst, the darker emotions and the subtler approach to experimenting with their music, but I also respect the music they have created with this new album.

Maybe one day I'll like it more :P

As for this being their last album? I think I've just been reading speculating fans around the web for a few months - nothing concrete :)

giving Jagged Little Pill a couple of listens.

Actually pretty good. A little rough around the edges, but captivatingly so. I doubt it'd work if it was smoothed over.

Jagged Little Pill is great, One of those albums that is just brill throughout. She did (for the anniversary) JLP Acoustic, and it's definitely smoothed over. It's...fine. But not comparable to the original. Excep Not The Doctor, which gives off a different atmosphere.

Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie is better though. Less hooks, mor esubstance (imo). or at least more aurally interesting.

S.C.G you are indeed an inspiration to many, with lovely varied music taste.

You guys also need to take into account that here in the states what's on the radio is gonna be different. /crappy excuses

From what I'm aware of, US radio is bollocks. I mean the ones in Florida when I was last there basically had a "Best of the 80's" Cd they kept playing. I was there for 3 weeks and must have heard Hungry Like The Wolf 15 times.

I'm pretty sure Morissette got a large chunk of airplay back in the day, Bjork maybe a bit, and PJ I highly doubt.

But then the UK public has much better taste in general than the US public. (Radio plays and such-wise)

It's more that the US is too big for any kind of national radio or public service system like the BBC. Everything is local, commercial and divided. Ergo, only the music being pushed hardest by major labels turns up anywhere outside of the niche hours.

It's not all bad though. John Peel based his show on the format used by DJs in NYC who had direct control over their playlists and had their own agendas, scenes and movements to represent.

I'm a bit late, but I just remembered something relevant to the album song order discussion.

Daft Punk - Interstella 5555

Makes a really good story using the whole album in order. I may have to get the DVD eventually.

I gots the album. It's great! :grin:

Fixed?

;)

Michigan's in Northern USA. Borders Canada.

[Farmer]They don't play no banjos there, sir.[/Farmer]*

*(Can't do Redneck, so I do Bristol instead.)

Actually one of my teachers played the Banjo. He was pretty good. He mananged to do Dueling Banjos by himself, it wasn't perfect but it was decent enough.

I don't have any sort of MP3 player either, I just use my Car Radio and Laptop.

Actually, my phone can do music but I don't use it.

lol, Paj. Oh yeh, I remember him. Such a legend. He didn't play the banjo often but he was pretty good for someone who couldn't play it properly (at least that's what he told us). His patrolling of the school yard on rollerblades was the best thing I've ever seen (other than a PE teacher trying to chase down a student in my year for peeing outside a classroom). Crazy, crazy man. You would never want to be on the wrong side of him cause some of the things I've seen him do to pupils is insane and scary as hell. Flipped two tables to get to someone in one of my lessons :o. Still, I managed to get away with calling him a fucker purely because he asked for a 6 letter word that described him and we had just finished watching Eddie Izzard. :D

Anyway, back to music. Erm... took a listen of Life Is A Song by Patrick Park earlier. Have been listening to it quite a lot thanks to Caris sticking it in his mix he sent me. Great song that one. Looking forward to getting my cds tomorrow as I'm itching to hear some other stuff from Johnny Foreigner.