N-Europe

I do love good lyrics. That feeling when a song just gets it's hooks in to you and you know you can listen to it over and over and over again.

For me, you just can't beat early Springsteen lyrics- he captures something utterly heroic in the desperate; exploring the dark edge of America. Perfectly set to the sound of The E Street Band too- that bluesy, grubby jazz based sound just works so brilliantly with his raspy vocals. It's just incredible.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

Money Note is one of the songs of the year, as it takes the piss out of Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey and Dolly Parton (literally name-dropping them).

Best bit being the bridge, where she spoofs Mariah. "I just want to beat Mariah!"

My lyrics of the day (not necessarily the best, just ones I like);

I'll be your sorceress, your heart's magician.

I'm not a witch, I'm a love technician.

We could use the cage.

I've got a lot of rope.

I'm not full of rage.

I'm full of hope.

This is not a crime and you're not on trial.

Bend over baby, I'm gonna make you smile.

It's well a good trying to take the piss out of people, but when you look like a two bit wack job yourself it's a bit like pissing in the wind.

Whilst I thought the music was ok, I didn't particularly like the way she sung or her general style.

SFIJ is literally way better than Jagged Little Pill, I warn all of you who are naive.

Money Note - Camille

I love.

That was a fucking brilliant video.

But, I have to admit I found it hard to understand a hell of a lot of what she was saying.

It's well a good trying to take the piss out of people, but when you look like a two bit wack job yourself it's a bit like pissing in the wind.

She's already had a critically acclaimed album, Le Fil, and to quote her "this time I just wanted to have more fun", so she has an excuse.

That was a fucking brilliant video.

But, I have to admit I found it hard to understand a hell of a lot of what she was saying.

Alot of it is in French.

The first bit is "Il me marque le franc" which means "I miss the franc" (if my French hasn't got too rusty yet)

Alot of it is in French.

The first bit is "Il me marque le franc" which means "I miss the franc" (if my French hasn't got too rusty yet)

Hah, Oh, then that would explain it. *is embarassed*.

Still, bar the odd style she sings in (It needs some getting used too) I did rather like it.

I mean look at them, so awesome:

That video was (the) fucking nuts. Crazy Japanese kids.

Album of the Year

Foals - Antidotes

Honorable mentions: Kills, Midnight Boom - Ratatat, LP3 - TV On the Radio, Weird Science

Oh yea and Bon Iver's Album is pretty amazing, only discovered it today though so can't say for sure.

Single of the Year

Santogold - Les Artistes

Honourable Mentions - Cassius & RedSP, Foals - Paper Planes, M.I.A - Black Panther, Crystal Castles.

On an unrelated note, I realized how fucking amazing Johnny Cash is today.

Paper Planes, M.I.A

I was about to jump on this and tell you that Kala came out in 2007, so Paper Planes didn't come out this year, but the single was rereleased, so technically counts.

I hate that everyone knows it, when the rest of the album is more fun/better.

Because recently I found out The Boy Least Likely To are releasing an album next year (always tempting to say 'this year' as it basically is) listening to 'The Best Party Ever' again.

That is what I'd imagine would happen if ReZ and Eenuh made a video while on hallucinogenic drugs.

Wonderful band for those 'cheery on the outside, bitter on the insider' kind of songs. I particularly like 'monsters' as its all about the people you went to high school with who then had unplanned pregnancies and act as if they're better than you.

Oh and My tiger my friend, my little God send is written on my bathroom wall because it fills me with joy.

It was indeed. Was also in some DFS advert I think (presume so, I would definately known if it were SCS).

'Hugging My Grudge' and 'I'm Glad I Hitched My Apple Wagon To Your Star' are also fun. In fact check out the whole album :p I found it in Fopp for 99p once. Bought it and gave it as a random gift to a friend who was feeling down because its so gleeful.

It was indeed. Was also in some DFS advert I think (presume so, I would definately known if it were SCS).

'Hugging My Grudge' and 'I'm Glad I Hitched My Apple Wagon To Your Star' are also fun. In fact check out the whole album :p I found it in Fopp for 99p once. Bought it and gave it as a random gift to a friend who was feeling down because its so gleeful.

Cheers for the info, I shall definitely be checking more of their stuff out. :)

--

Paramore - I Caught Myself

Another song Paramore wrote for Twilight. I take it "Decode" was from the guys perspective, and this one is from the girls? Anyway:

Paramore - I Caught Myself

Another song Paramore wrote for Twilight. I take it "Decode" was from the guys perspective, and this one is from the girls? Anyway:

Another song by them I couldn't care less about. It's so inconsequential as a piece of music.

I can see why you like them/her, she attended the same school of singing as Katy Perry. (Just noticed there)

Now a much better song;

Johnny Feelgood - Liz Phair

Not her best (that would be on her first album), but this such a great song.

I could take this in doses large enough to kill!

How about not equating death with stopping?

Until earlier this year, I always thought that was "How 'bout not equating death with starving?"

I thought she was making some statement to whoever she was talking to about perhaps not thinking that death is all around us and can happen to us, and that it's not just something that we see on the news, that isn't really anything to do with us.

Interesting either way.

'I Caught Myself' by Paramore is an alright song. The main problem with it is that it's been released alongside Decode, which is a far better song. It's also not as good as some of their other slower, lighter on the guitar songs with some so-so lyrics. But enough on them for now.

+1

I've gone from really liking paramore, to hating them, back to liking them because of decode. Fantastic song for hayley to sing whether it's attached to twilight or not.

It's a shame paramore has such a stigma attached to it! Hayley actually has a really good voice.

edit: I'm not sure how you connect liking katy perry to paramore, just because they went to the same school...like that makes any difference?