• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

wow, I got the Bloc Party - Flux: The remixes album and the remixes I most enjoyed on it were the I still remember ones. Especially the SebastiAn one.

Although the "Music Box and Tears" one is great as well, very chillaxed.

I'm all for the Bjork loving. She's like a female Thom Yorke if I was to get controversial :p

Viva La Vida (or Death And All His Friends): Quick Summary.

Yeah, listening to Coldplay's new album...and initially I just didn't know what to think about it. It's totally different from anything previous. Perhaps in line with some of the major stadium tracks on X&Y but the church organ love/synthesiser overuse alongside clap happy drums is initially offputting. It also follows the same formula of build 'em up, knock em down and rinse and repeat which somehow feels forced at times. No doubt it will take 100 listens before I again understand why 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' is the pinnacle of what Coldplay will ever offer. Life In Technicolour seems like the standout track at the moment and wil no doubt appear in a million rom-com's this year :p

So yeah, didn't want to go too in-depth as most albums take a long time to settle into your head but, initial impressions are that Coldplay have forgot how to write catchy 'pop-rock' tunes and instead try to go for a mature sound which feels like nothing special at all. Instantly forgettable? I'll come back to it but it doesn't grab you like their previous albums (although X&Y was a tough one to get into.)

After all their previous rubbish they've thrown at us, Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends is an awesome album.

Although the acoustic version of Lost is miles better than the normal version (due to the fake-sounding drums in the normal version, plus it sounds much more emotional).

Went to see Mary J Blige at the NEC tonight...

Fuck, she was amazing.

She sang with such emotion, and power. I think everyone in the room was overwhelmed by her incredible performance.

Only thing was, she sang 3 songs from her latest album, which her tour was named after....

Also there was no programme D=

Got a poster though :D

Mary J Blige has now become one of my favourite artists, WOW.

I'm all for the Bjork loving. She's like a female Thom Yorke if I was to get controversial :p

Viva La Vida (or Death And All His Friends): Quick Summary.

Yeah, listening to Coldplay's new album...and initially I just didn't know what to think about it. It's totally different from anything previous. Perhaps in line with some of the major stadium tracks on X&Y but the church organ love/synthesiser overuse alongside clap happy drums is initially offputting. It also follows the same formula of build 'em up, knock em down and rinse and repeat which somehow feels forced at times. No doubt it will take 100 listens before I again understand why 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' is the pinnacle of what Coldplay will ever offer. Life In Technicolour seems like the standout track at the moment and wil no doubt appear in a million rom-com's this year :p

So yeah, didn't want to go too in-depth as most albums take a long time to settle into your head but, initial impressions are that Coldplay have forgot how to write catchy 'pop-rock' tunes and instead try to go for a mature sound which feels like nothing special at all. Instantly forgettable? I'll come back to it but it doesn't grab you like their previous albums (although X&Y was a tough one to get into.)

Interesting, I was wondering if Life in Technicolour that you've listened to on the full album is the same one I've been hearing on the internet which is a very nice 2 minute instrumental track.

I've just given Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends a proper listen to. I take back what I said about Lost! - I loved everything apart from Reign of Love and Chinese Sleep Chant, both of which are a tad short, dull and rather forgettable.

I'm actually going to buy the CD.

Went to see the Foo Fighters at Wembley on Saturday night.

Saw them a few years ago at the Manchester Arena. Not been to the new Wembley before - it's awesome and doesn't smell of piss like the old one did.

Anyway, the concert was ok, nothing really stood out musically - I don't think the Foos are anything special live but I was in awe of the the experience of being in the midst of nearly 90000 people.

Overall, really enjoyed it! Seeing a bit of Led Zep at the end was sweet too

I saw Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks last night at Glasgow's Oran Mor.

Despite never really having heard their stuff, I went along with a friend for the chat/jokes.

It was actually really fun. Stevie (as we nicknamed him) was really funny. Halfway through he jumped really high when playing guitar and hit his head on the low ceiling. It was pretty funny. Also, he kept getting the start of this one song wrong, and after like 3 tries of trying to play the guitar intro he just said "Fuck it. It's a shit song anyway".

He's pretty cool for being 42 or however old he is.

Also, their newer stuff is really good. There was like a 5 minute instrumental bit, which started really quiet and slow, and gradually built up, until at the end the drummer was like screaming hitting the drums in a flurry. Actually mental. It felt funny because the drummer was like at least 40, and looked like she could have been Kym Marsh's mum.

An ejoyable night out.

FLASHING

LIGHTS

Awesome song :D Kanye ftw.

I just got COldplays new album, quite impressive! Really liking the title song Viva la vida...i think i was sold from the iTunes advert tbh!

I'm loving Citizen Of The Planet by Alanis Morissette. A dance remix of this could be big.

Why would you ruin a good song? It's actually amazing as it is...

*shakes head*

Listening to the whole of You Are Free by Cat Power.

Her voice is so calming and beautiful. Love her. This is my favourite of her albums.

Opeth - Watershed = Album of the year. Seriously, this page is not worthy of the mention of that album. I shall have a detailed review of it later.

Decided to give this a go. Half the album is pretty awesome. The other half I don't like because I hate growling voices.