Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I was watching High Fidelity the other night and I must say the three dudes in the record store pretty much cover 70% of the people in this thread between them :P

I don't like Bjork. Why? Probably because I haven't listened enough. That "it's oh so quiet" song was quite fun in a pop-kind of way, and at the time I was like 11 or something. I saw her video of a more recent song - the one with the megaphone and the strings? - and had to change the channel.

I think there is a fair amount of music out there which I've been told is good, and that in itself makes me try too hard to "see" what's so good about it. I'm not going to force myself to like something so I'll just wait and see :)

Not many people seem to have their audioscrobbler's turned on. I can't figure out how to turn the plug-in on once I've closed it from the start bar, hence my last.fm being 2 weeks out of date...

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

I think there is a fair amount of music out there which I've been told is good, and that in itself makes me try too hard to "see" what's so good about it. I'm not going to force myself to like something so I'll just wait and see :)

Yeah, this is what I'm like. I've been told Radiohead is Awesome, but when I listen to Ok Computer / In Rainbows, I just find both albums unimpressive.

I mean, I love the idea of Fitter Happier, but even then listening to it its quite boring. The rest of OK Computer just doesn't excite me at all. I can tell it is good music, but I can't be bothered listening to it.

Jigsaw Falling Into Place is a good song, but it's not "Fuck me. This song is immense" good. I will listen to it, and do listen to it, but I would never say it's awesome.

Some bands, (like Hot Chip for instance) I can't work out why people like them. To my ears, Hot Chip is depressing shit. I've listened to The Warning like 10 times, and each time it was as shit as the listen before.

Then there's some music that I can just tell I love on the first hearing. I knew I loved Camille when the first song of Le Fil came on on my CD player.

For me, Bjork was a mega grower. I didn't like her for ages, and now I can't imagine my iTunes without her in it.

The only Bjork song I have is "Triumph of a Heart" which was on a compilation album I got a while ago and I really don't like it.

Dunno why I even still have it actually >_>

Oh thats one of my favourites!

I love the beat in the background, and the lyrics are awesome:

The nerves are sending shimmering signals all through my fingers

The veins support blood that gushes impulsively towards

The truimph of a heart, that gives all, that gives all.

I love the video aswell. Literal cat sex. Actually sleeps with an oversized cat.

Jigsaw Falling Into Place is a good song, but it's not "Fuck me. This song is immense" good. I will listen to it, and do listen to it, but I would never say it's awesome.
I had the exact opposite. The song is just so immense - there's just such a sense of structure and attention to detail in the song, it's really incredible. Same goes for Bodysnatchers of the same album. That song really gets unleashed when they segue over to the bridge (Has the light gone out for you? / Because the light's gone out for me) has got to be one of my favourite few seconds of music of all time.

I had the exact opposite. The song is just so immense - there's just such a sense of structure and attention to detail in the song, it's really incredible. Same goes for Bodysnatchers of the same album. That song really gets unleashed when they segue over to the bridge (Has the light gone out for you? / Because the light's gone out for me) has got to be one of my favourite few seconds of music of all time.

I just listened to "Bodysnatchers"...Yeah, I see what you mean. :smile:

And as for "Jigsaw Falling Into Place", that's my most played song on last.fm. I didn't think it was "immense" at first, but it rapidly grew on me.

Ironically it´s the opposite here, I can only think of a few musicians that get slated more than her by people here (14-28 year oldish)

Makes sense, I don't like her music, I can live with that. But when she tries to gather more attention (and succeeds) by just being weird and capitalizing on that it makes me hate her guts. Ooo look at me, I'm so alternative and weird! Lots of people (not saying it's the case of anyone here), just "like" her, because of that.

Meh, those most slated are often the most liked. Meaning she gets slated means people have actually listened to her to some extent. You can't say the same for good metal. You have to give it a chance, I didn't think I'd ever get into metal but I'm listening to Rage Against the Machine, Metallica and Megadeth regularly now.

Being accessible isn't same as being liked anyway.

There are loads of kinds of Metal though, I can't stand when the singers vomit their internal organs instead of screaming, they ruin so many songs for me because of that.

Yes! :D

When i hear Avril Lavigne i instantly think of Haggis! :heart:

Haha, that's awesome! :D

Everytime I hear Pendulam I think of my best mate, he loves them to bits. When I hear High School Musical I think of another of my best mates too, she hates it so much, it always reminds me of her loathing.:heart:

--

WOW! Gwen Stefani "L.A.M.B" is certainly a great album, like a couple of people said. After close listening, I love it. The best pop album I've heard in ages, and much, much better than her recent effort. "Cool" is such a great song.

The more I listen to it the more I love it. Should be absolutely awesome live, roll on June.

I hope to see them this summer at well at Werchter.

But then I realise I still don't have tickets since I don't have anyone wanting to go the full four days with me. >.<;

Got two of the five CDs I bought this month: Radiohead 'The Bends' and Snow Patrol 'Eyes Open'. They're both excellent. Thought I only knew one song from the Radiohead CD but there's actually a few I've heard before. =D

Still waiting for my other CDs though, which I ordered weeks ago. They told me to wait five more days before contacting them again. =/

There are loads of kinds of Metal though, I can't stand when the singers vomit their internal organs instead of screaming, they ruin so many songs for me because of that.
Yeah, those are the bands that give metal such a bad name. There's a lot of talent in the metal genre though.

I hate it when bands think they're cool for doing it all the time, but I don't mind some doing it for fun:

Awesome song :heh:

Also, that vid's awesome Oxigen :D

Yeah, those are the bands that give metal such a bad name. There's a lot of talent in the metal genre though.

The only metal bands I like are the ones who have two singers, one screamer and one orthodox singer. Good example is Alexisonfire (well they have three singers but that's beside the point).

I lieks alexisonfire but they're not metal. I remember playing "No Transitory" to a metalhead mate and he was all like "hey this is a'ight..." then the dude sings "so this is what they call... un-der the weath-Errr" and my buddy's all *hands over eyes, sighing* :P

Dude, Alexis~ is just screamo. Senses Fail, Silverstein, Eighteen Visions should all be your thing. The Used too (first album only or die) and, of course, mewithoutYou.

I'm sure I've said this before - anyone here heard of Flight of the Jesus Dog? It's far from screamo, I assure thee.

Yeah I really should buy a ticket for the green, it dosn't help that I spent £170 on T in the Park's tickets and the line up is shockingly bad.

Apparently Will Young is playing, and he is performing some of his stuff "taken in a new direction".

Basically he's trying to be indie.

I'm in mixed minds about Operator Please.

Their new album Yes Yes Vindictive is good. It has several solid songs "Just A Song About Ping Pong" is great.

However, the lead's voice is kinda annoying. It's whiney. It reminds me alot of the vocals from Paramore (Paramore fans would probably like Operator Please). Seeing as I don't really like Paramore, the comparison is a bad thing for me.

That being said, I love the song Pantomime which is the slowest song on the album. It's on my "I love at the moment" playlist.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!