N-Europe

Ok, prove it, without using the opinions of others.

By the way, I think Led Zep are one of the best bands ever, while S Club 7 annoy me almost as much as your debating technique...

Want me to prove it? Listen to S Club 7. Then listen to Led Zeppelin. Did that? Still can't see why? Well then, feel free to commit suicide. :awesome:

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Jesus, dude, don't start with Maiden, Deth or Slayer. Stick to some Metallica to begin with; songs like "One," "The Unforgiven," "Nothing Else Matters" (ie. The ballads) and then stuff like "Battery" and "Orion" (You said you liked classical, this is one beautiful Bartok inspired 8 minute instrumental) etc. And then when you identify what it is that you can appreciate, or even like, try to look for the same qualities in other bands. I know with Megadeth, the lyrics and singing can be ridiculously jarring to begin with, but you get used to them, because it's the underlying instrumental proficiency that makes them so awe inspiring.

Good metal, like good Jazz is an aquired taste.

I dunno dude, I might give the songs you metioned a chance, but I'm not going to force myself to like the music just because these bands are very good at what they do.

Who knows, maybe I'll like them one day, but at the moment I'm fine listening to the stuff I like at the moment, whether it is shit or good.

Cheers for the advice anyway. :smile:

I dunno dude, I might give the songs you metioned a chance, but I'm not going to force myself to like the music just because these bands are very good at what they do.

Who knows, maybe I'll like them one day, but at the moment I'm fine listening to the stuff I like at the moment, whether it is shit or good.

Cheers for the advice anyway. :smile:

Yeah, it's fair enough if you don't like them, at least you gave them a chance :);).

Show me.

My pokemans?

I dont know if the discussion is still on, but the point is, everyone thinks its opinion is better. Thats why we have it. But opinion and taste don't have to be directly related to quality. If someone says Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys are good musicians, I'll torture them myself, if they say they like it, I'll laugh at them, but it's they're right to like it, because art relates to feelings and everyone perceives it differently. Now, anyone can and will say "X's opinion sucks", that's normal, but saying "His opinion/taste is bad and that's a fact", that's just being stupid and it doesn't even make sense. Fact and opinion are separeted matters.

I know you're more aggressive on teh interwebs when it comes to opinion and you know full well I insult and get annoyed by lots of people's taste in games, but there has to be a limit.

My pokemans?

I dont know if the discussion is still on, but the point is, everyone thinks its opinion is better. Thats why we have it. But opinion and taste don't have to be directly related to quality. If someone says Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys are good musicians, I'll torture them myself, if they say they like it, I'll laugh at them, but it's they're right to like it, because art relates to feelings and everyone perceives it differently. Now, anyone can and will say "X's opinion sucks", that's normal, but saying "His opinion/taste is bad and that's a fact", that's just being stupid and it doesn't even make sense. Fact and opinion are separeted matters.

I know you're more aggressive on teh interwebs when it comes to opinion and you know full well I insult and get annoyed by lots of people's taste in games, but there has to be a limit.

But that's exactly what I'm saying! I defend their right to have an opinion and like shitty music! I've always said that opinion and taste aren't the same thing! If you go read my previous posts, I said just that, over and over and over!

What I can't stand is when they say that bad musicians are good. I have no problem with people liking stuff, what I don't like is them calling it good music when it's not. :S I have no grudges on opinions... Hell, even I like a shitload of bad bands. It'd be rather difficult to live no accepting myself. =P

Quality is fact. Opinion is not. That's what I've been saying all along. =S

Ah, but the magnitude of quality is based on opinion. :indeed:

I'll shut up now - I tried...

SO what you're saying is... if The Beatles hadn't come out of their garage and became public, they would've sucked, coz there were no opinions on them?

What I want you to understand is that quality is there, wether people embrace/notice it, or not!

SO what you're saying is... if The Beatles hadn't come out of their garage and became public, they would've sucked, coz there were no opinions on them?

What I want you to understand is that quality is there, wether people embrace/notice it, or not!

No, but if you had happened to hear them in their garage, you would have an opinion, and think that they either sucked or were awesome. I get the impression when you say quality, you mean good quality, as apposed to the level of quality.