NEurope

I gave Celebrity Skin by Hole a good few listens through and I'm pleasantly surprised. I may actually buy it.

Live Through This is 100x better. CS is good, but the production irks me. It has so little emotional resonance compared to LTT.

---

So Brit Awards. I watched for the performances, every single award winner made me fucking sick. JLS? Fucking hell. I saw they had an autobiography out as well! WHO GIVES?

I like Lady GaGa, but let's not lie. When she's up against Animal Collective/Florence etc...we all know who's better.

The live things were great. Lady GaGa was awesome, a really awesome tribute to Alexander McQueen, and I love how she didn't actually do a song, just a joke perfomance of bits from Telephone but with new lyrics and then a stunning version of Dance In The Dark (note the lyrics are about famous people who kill themselves. Kinda annoed me when Courtney Love and Geri Halliwell were like "I wish she'd played something we knew!". Rude bitches.). I like that she had all those pre-recorded sounds on that guitar thing. Kasabian, Florence/Dizzy and Jay-Z were also good.

I sat hand-over-mouth for Cheryl Cole. How could she not realise she was miming that badly? I thought it might be a audio-synch problem...the vocals are live-sounding and you she talks at the end and you can hear her breathe. It was awful if it was miming though (which I assume it was...)

hahahaha Cheryl gave one of the worst Brit performances I can remember!

It was like watching a dubbed Japanese Martial Arts movie!!

Pretty much agreed with all the awards tonight... and Peter Kay was surprisingly very good!... Dillon, Jason...!

It just makes no sense. Couldn't she keep up? That's why it seems like it might be a sync issue, but nothing else was out of sync...

Hauntingly bad.

Yeah it was wierd, guess she just couldn;t hear it perhaps?... but it was beyond aweful! And what was with her scary mouth!... 0

She was the only person to mime aswell (from what I could tell), and she couldn't really blame it on having to dance because if you watch it back she barely did! Must have just been ultra nervous so requested to... but then really she shouldn't be there in the first place!

She could have just done 3 Words or Parachute which are much more "calm" or slow-paced (and way better, but yeah) or whatever so less dancing involved. I doubt she HAD to do her biggest hit...

So today I finally gave The Milk-Eyed Mender by Joanna Newsom a listen... I figured I owe it that much to hear it out before Have One On Me comes out :p anyway thoughts...

If Ys is the undisputed lyrical and and all-round audible masterpiece - which it is - then The Milk-Eyed Mender is a piece of patchwork - just like its cover - now it's a really stunning piece of patchwork overall but some of the pieces it's made up of just don't quite fit yet they are there as part of it anyway.

As a debut album though it's pretty decent on the whole though her voice is slightly grating on some tracks even though there are still some beautiful lyrics in there; it's interesting to see how her vocal talent has come on in leaps and bounds since then though as her voice in Ys is simply stunning.

Here's hoping that her third album achieves equilibrium by taking the strengths of the previous two as the foundations and builidng upon it to reach new wuthering heights. :)

Sadie's my favourite, despite slamming your head into a window at the start. Not even trying to make you want to listen. "SAYDEE!". Ow. But you live, you learn.

You live, in spain.

Guess who got tickets to the Rage Factor gig this morning!

So excited. Flights to london and back will cost more than a ticket would normally be, but meh. It's gonna be one hell of a gig. Plus, I'm seeing Pendulum about a week beforehand, so thats two of the best live bands around back to back.

Borat-NICE.jpg

Guess who got tickets to the Rage Factor gig this morning!

So excited. Flights to london and back will cost more than a ticket would normally be, but meh. It's gonna be one hell of a gig. Plus, I'm seeing Pendulum about a week beforehand, so thats two of the best live bands around back to back.

Borat-NICE.jpg

So pissed off. My fuck up of a friend promised he'd get us tickets (I'd registered and given him reg + post code) as I was in a seminar at uni, and I had another friend going who also said she'd get me mine just in case. The first one was 'too hungover' and the second couldn't work out the website. Idiots. Angry.

Apparently there was 500,000+ registrations and only 70,000 tickets. We got ours on like, the 3rd refresh or something too. Luck was on our side!

Edit: Just read that apparently it was only 40,000 tickets. So thats less than 1 in 12 chance of getting them..woot!

I actually forgot to register, though I thought it was a bit shit that you could only sign up two people and you could register even if you didn't purchase the song.

Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster (24 tracks) - £3 @ Amazon!!

Along with some other Brit albums, like Florence, Kasabian, JLS, Lily Allen etc...

Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster (24 tracks) - £3 @ Amazon!!

The 16 tracks off The Fame are not worth buying, but the 8 off The Fame Monster are so essential that I'd spend so much money on them alone, so your £3 was well spent.

The 16 tracks off The Fame are not worth buying, but the 8 off The Fame Monster are so essential that I'd spend so much money on them alone, so your £3 was well spent.
Well the only tracks I previously had were Bad Romance and Paparazzi, so I got Poker Face, and there are some other good ones out of the originals.

But yes the 8 new ones are great!

Chairdriver's Track Of The Day;

In The Flowers - Animal Collective

I am blown by this song. I am blown by Animal Collective in general.

By its vocals, coupled with the lyrics and the mastery of sounds, the song paints the picture of a night one could never forget - a slow build-up, an explosive plateau of such height, and an ending that spirals downwards depressingly - the first and last of which evoke the sense of longing to again feel the brief fleeting moments of the climax. This is emphasised by the construction of the song - it takes so long to get to the obvious great bit, and once it's over, it takes so long for the song to finish.

Excuse me for typecasting, but this song reminds me of Dannyboy-the-Dane so much; there's such a longing for love and relationship intertwined within it. There's also something so masculine about it; not in the socially-fabricated "I'm macho and sexist and I only drink beer" sense, but it conveys a sense of masculine sensitivity that you just wouldn't find in a song written by a woman. This quality is augmented by the vocals, which whilst you'd never describe as technically outstanding, make the song feel real and are what make the song so special for me.

"If I could just leave my body for the night...

Then we could be dancing; no more missing you while I am gone.

Then we could be dancing; and you’d smile and say "I love this song".

And then our eyes will meet and we'll recognize nothing’s wrong.

And I wouldn’t feel so selfish, I won’t be this way very long,

To hold you in time"

Just stunning. So stunning.

I first head In The Flowers while I was studying and falling in love with To The Lighthouse. The song conjured up the same images I had in my head of the first section of To The Lighthouse, which made want to make a really accurate film version of To The Lighthouse, using Animal Collective as the score.

It's supposedly going to be 8 minutes long and is the direct sequel to the Paparazzi video. Should be fantastic, if she pulls it off.

It must've been like...2 years ago when you last obsessed over that song. I love how into it the blonde girl is in the video.

Lady Gaga Telephone video photos:

bless her mental cotton socks.

I actually think she's ace. Not really in to the music but as a persona, she's absolutely brilliant- the perfect antidote to landfill indie and miserable bastards in the music industry.

and bad romance is absolutely fucking stellar. It's so much better than anything on The Fame.

Yeah she is. I wish her music matched up to what she projects, but some of it is brilliant, a lot is good/ok. A fair amount is awful (but it feels like she tried).

Anyone see Paparazzi from first night of her Uk Tour?! I love.

So essential.