NEurope

@ Goaferboy - Ah, Crazy Train. Brilliant song that. Love it. Start is just epic. Heard it live and it's just insane.

As for what I've been listening to, I'm in a completely retro mood so I've been listening to Blondie and some Tears for Fears.

Also, I'd have to agree with you on that Paj. I don't understand the necessity for rock/indie bands to do covers of pop songs and that cover by Maximo Park is pretty bad. I can understand trying to put your own spin on a song but the guy's voice is just completely wrong for that song. Dare I say, it's too British.

Recently starting loving this song again:

Incubus - Drive

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Some other transport based goodness:

Deftones - Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Excellent songs, I have to say. :smile:

Also, I'd have to agree with you on that Paj. I don't understand the necessity for rock/indie bands to do covers of pop songs and that cover by Maximo Park is pretty bad. I can understand trying to put your own spin on a song but the guy's voice is just completely wrong for that song. Dare I say, it's too British.

Yeah. I have Fraz Ferdinand's version fo Gwen Stefani's Watcha Waiting For?, but at least that's a pretty freaky song in the first place. It just comes across almost the same way pointless pop culture references in things liek TV shows do. I can't describe it. Like they're acknowledging it, but reassuring us that it's not as good as their own stuff. Or at least, by covering it (and so indicating they like it) it's kinda patronising to Gaga (or whoever it might be).

Can't really articulate what I mean.

The chorus is alright, but otherwise I actually prefer the original. :blank:

I kinda find it a bit annoying when rock/indie bands cover (simple) pop songs. I comes across as almost pretentious. I dunno. It might just be me.

And it comes across to me that they go on Radio 1's live lounge and get told to do it.

Also Enter Shikari's new song Juggernauts. On first listen I didn't really like it, on second listen I thought it was alright and now I quite love it.

Rou sounds so much like Mike Skinner in it as well.

Edited by GothicPlague

Right, need a bit of help. Trying to complete a mix and I've got stuck. Would like 2 songs to complete it but can't for the life of me think of 2 to go with them as I've gone through most of what I have and I don't want to do multiple songs from the same artists. Anyways, any suggestions to add to the list below would be helpful.

Ocean Drive - Lighthouse Family

Days of Summer - Ana Johnsson

Hello Lonely - Theory of a Deadman

All I Need/Forgiven - Within Temptation (haven't decided which to choose)

You - Evanescence

Soul Meets Body - Death Cab for Cutie

Paint The Silence - South

Caught By The River - The Doves

Time Lapse Lifeline - Maria Taylor

Hide & Seek - Imogen Heap

Crystal Baller - Third Eye Blind

Until Tomorrow (Breathe) - Paramore

Was easy enough thinking of those, just can't think of 2 others to put in. Coming up with a mix really can be a bitch sometimes. Was perhaps thinking maybe adding 'Girls' by Death In Vegas. Would sit well with what I have there but I'm open to other ideas as that's all I've got so far.

Right, need a bit of help. Trying to complete a mix and I've got stuck. Would like 2 songs to complete it but can't for the life of me think of 2 to go with them as I've gone through most of what I have and I don't want to do multiple songs from the same artists. Anyways, any suggestions to add to the list below would be helpful.

Ocean Drive - Lighthouse Family

Days of Summer - Ana Johnsson

Hello Lonely - Theory of a Deadman

All I Need/Forgiven - Within Temptation (haven't decided which to choose)

You - Evanescence

Soul Meets Body - Death Cab for Cutie

Paint The Silence - South

Caught By The River - The Doves

Time Lapse Lifeline - Maria Taylor

Hide & Seek - Imogen Heap

Crystal Baller - Third Eye Blind

Until Tomorrow (Breathe) - Paramore

Was easy enough thinking of those, just can't think of 2 others to put in. Coming up with a mix really can be a bitch sometimes. Was perhaps thinking maybe adding 'Girls' by Death In Vegas. Would sit well with what I have there but I'm open to other ideas as that's all I've got so far.

Dunno if you have it, but anything from The Reminder by Feist would fit in there. Just did a quick Genius of Hide And Seek (only song there I own) and songs from that came up. Feist deserves to be on every mix though. :)

Also ones that came up from looking at Evanescen was Sleep by My Chemical Romance and Haunted by Kelly Clarkson. Also reminded me I love the first 5 seconds of The Only One by Evanescence, but not the rest.

^ thanks for that. I'll have a look at The Reminder by Feist. And you might actually like 'You' by Evanescence. They're probably not to your taste of music but that song is really good and you should like it. It's basically just Amy Lee playing the piano and singing along. Very beautiful song and totally unlike their other stuff.

Edited by Ganepark32

^ thanks for that. I'll have a look at The Reminder by Feist. And you might actually like 'You' by Evanescence. They're probably not to your taste of music but that song is really good and you should like it. It's basically just Amy Lee playing the piano and singing along. Very beautiful song and totally unlike their other stuff.

I have half of Fallen (is that the name?) and all of The Open Door. They're nice, but too much of the same thing to listen to a whole album. I kinda associate them with my phase of musical style 2 years ago, along with My Chemical Romance (whose most recent album I still quite like) and 30 Seconds to Mars.

The song I still listen to is My Immortal. I remember I wanted it to be my funeral song! :laughing:

I adore the beat to this, even though the chorus is kind of abysmal.

I'm all for sluttyness, but my god, she's a slag in this video. I love it.

Find of the day!

While finding myself on a Britney Spears remix album, I found what must an ancient Justice remix! (of Me Against The Music)

It's pretty crap. Worse than the actual song, but recognisably them. Their sound is awful compared ot now, but in the stages of evolution.

----

I just found this video again. It's a seminal video for me, it goes hand in hand with my memories of the years my house had MTV. Watching it is like looking at an old photograph. The song's entertaining too... :laughing:

oooh!

my turn!

Ok go for:

Young Team. It's their first album and it's very interesting. All built around one central musical motif, it's a nice introduction to the various styles the band have gone on to expand on in their later work. Includes Mogwai Fear Satan which is arguably the best fifteen minutes of anything. ever.

Mr Beast. One of their recent albums, and their heaviest to date. Has some absolutely monster riffs in. get this if you like bass lines you could damage concrete with.

The Hawk Is Howling Sequel to, and more refined sibling of, Mr Beast. This is their latest album and it's very, very good.

Happy Songs for Happy People. Irony lol. Mogwai at their most downbeat and introspective. This one is very slow and...meditative. It's very good though, if you're in the mood for some seriously intense thinking man's post rock.

Cheers Dan, Ive bought The Hawk Is Howling and it came through the post today...listening to it now and so far its very, very good and it sounds very epic. All those descriptions sound awesome...cheers for the heads up!

New song (What We Know) from Sonic Youth's upcoming album, Eternal, on Jools Holland;

---

ALSO

The Zero (RAC Mix) by Yeah Yeah Yeahs is free for download on Pitchfork. It's good.

Pretty good track from Sonic Youth. Most without Kim are.

Well I realised I've been trapped in a loop of only listning to things I know and love so spent much of today seeking out 'great new music', to quote Steve Merchant.

Got myself

Casiotone for the Painfully Alone - Vs. Children

Wasn't a fan of them (/ him?) having heard quite a downbeat song a while ago but this is a very lovely, subtle, relaxing album... he reminds me at times of Daniel Johnston, which is never a bad thing.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Late of the Pier - Zarcorp Demos

Ain't listened much yet but seems like a pretty great lively album... can't beleive I missed them at Reading last year, urgh!

Pains of being Pure at Heart - Self Titled

Good little debut album, I especially like Everything With You

Battlestar Galactica OST Season 3 - Bear McCreary

Amazing amazing amazing. Highlights include the excellent piano piece Battlestar Sonatica (which I've been learning), Heeding the Call, and the Bear's brilliant rendition of All Along the Watchtower.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Japandroids - Post-Nothing

My pick of the day, great Sonic-youth esque band... only two dudes in the band aswell... I love!! But alas can't find any on youtube. Gah!

--

Oh yah and my girlfriend loved that mix cd I pasted here a couple days ago so woop :)

Don McLean - American Pie

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

This was a question in the pub quiz the other day and it reminded me how awesome the song is. Can't believe I had completely forgotten about its existance. Rad.

I just found out that Manic Street Preachers - The Masses Against The Classes was the first new number 1 of the millennium and it's also probably the best

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

This was a question in the pub quiz the other day and it reminded me how awesome the song is. Can't believe I had completely forgotten about its existance. Rad.

It's an awesome song. I first heard of it through Madonna's one, to which I loved the lyrics. (I must have been...9!)

My favourite version/cover is this though (fee download); CLICK ME

Very sad.

Giving Cobra Starship a run for their money by finally listening to Viva La Cobra!. Been meaning to for a while. I'm quite liking what I'm hearing so far.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Thanks to my American History teacher, I know that the song it about Big Bopper, Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens who died in a plane crash. Sad story.

Edited by Nolan

Thanks to my American History teacher, I know that the song it about Big Bopper, Buddy Holly and Ricky Valens who died in a plane crash. Sad story.

I knew it was about Buddy Holly but I didn't know about the other 2. Were they in the same crash or was it seperate crashes?

Same crash. They were all on one little plane, flying...into New York I think. One guy actually got bumped from the plane to make room for Valens, story goes he told them he hoped their plane crashed, then he felt terrible when it did.

And I mistyped, I meant Richie Valens not Ricky my bad.

Love Crystal Castles at the moment and all things electronica.

Sound quality isn't the best on there but I adore the song. Anybody else like them? I also really like Boards of Canada, Clark, Aphex Twin and Autechre at the moment. But then I always really like Autechre :heh:

Love Crystal Castles at the moment and all things electronica.

Sound quality isn't the best on there but I adore the song. Anybody else like them? I also really like Boards of Canada, Clark, Aphex Twin and Autechre at the moment. But then I always really like Autechre :heh:

Good shout; I love Crystal Castles. Vanished has been my ringtone for quite some time now and I'm still not bored of it. Would love to see them live again; saw them at Reading Festival last year but didn't know who they were and as such couldn't tell the difference between songs etc. Alice Glass is insane though.

Conclusion about Cobra Starship: Much better than I was expecting. Via La Cobra is a fantastic album, really enjoyed it, have since gone back to listen to it again. City Sleeps doesn't quite match up to it but it's still listenable.

Edited by Dyson

Conclusion about Cobra Starship: Much better than I was expecting. Via La Cobra is a fantastic album, really enjoyed it, have since gone back to listen to it again. City Sleeps doesn't quite match up to it but it's still listenable.

Yeeees! Love that song (Also, Gir! I'd totally forgotten how funny Invader Zim was). On Viva La Cobra, Smile For The Paparazzi, Kiss My Sass and Guilty Pleasure are brilliant. Church of Hot Addiction on their first effort is great too (the bunny in the video is amazing).

What do you think of their new song? (Good Girls Go Bad)

Edited by Slaggis

Have a listen to that Dyson (well and anyone else =p) and tell me what you think. I really like it, only problem I have with it is the length (too short). Cool video as well :)