NEurope

Currently loving White Lies album.

It's great. Can't wait to see them on the 21st :)

It is a good album. :) What songs are you enjoying off it?

I really love E.S.T!

Been listening to a fair amount of music today, whilst attempting to do some work but failing massively.

I've given Adeles album a listen for the first time, and quite liked it, which I didn't really expect. Given Pinks new one a much better listen than before, and I'm in love with the new single, and then finally gave M.I.A's album a proper listen and apart from a couple of tracks I'm loving it.

I wish there was a way to watch the grammy's online - I want to see Perry get let down from the ceiling whilst belting out Kissed a Girl - and other performances too. Oh and does ANYONE know when I'll get to hear My Life Would Suck Without You live?

--

I love how Avril used to sound pretty bad when live when she first started out (Ala Perry with Kissed a Girl now) but now, she actually does a damn good job at it, even on the up-beat songs ala Girlfriend. I mean, I've yet to see a performance of When You're Gone that's anything below "damn good" level. I love the Acoustic performance she did at Roxy, last year. I've got the whole thing on my iPod, but it's just nice to have someone mainstream that is a consistently great live singer (I'm not saying there aren't others, I'm just saying there's more that can't than can).

Losing Grip - Live (Sounds better live, than the original recording, imo)

It could just be my acoustic fetish though. The acoustic version of When You're Gone to me sounds literally orgasmic. I love it to bits, so so so much better than the boring, slightly whiny sounding original studio version.

And btw, I never once said I wanted 'funny' metal. I just stated that Edguy (and other bands) are not serious. Even their serious songs aren't the kind of thing you (or I) can take too seriously.

I know. Still, that doesn't excuse the fact that they're terrible. When I mentioned Turisas I was merely highlighting the fact that some bands know how to not be serious and retain quality, whilst others use the "not serious" mantle as a way to excuse themselves from trying. Edguy belong to the second bunch

Why aren't Edguy good? You keep knocking them but I haven't seen any reason so far?

Ok, here goes. I'm not gonna waste time and talk about why Power Metal in general is a turd, coz Bard pretty much summed it all up very nicely. Iced Earth, Nevermore, Biomechanical and plenty more illustrious managed to mix it with other genres and turn it into something worthy, but on it's own? Giant truck of crap.

Regardless, one might ignore that small bump on the road and just carry on.

First off, they're sterile... every single song they've ever written is a reinterpretation of some previous Power Metal ode by the true greats. And in case one is not sure of this, why not go and check Sammet's side project Avantasia, merely to really sink in just how deprived of any actual talent Edguy are, because (even if I personally despise it to the core) when listening to Avantasia one actually sinks in just how good Edguy could be, if Sammet actually tried to make something out of them, instead of endlessly perpetuating their stagnant crap, alas, I guess he's just lazy.

Secondly, even if they weren't just cyclingly retreading their own forefathers' footsteps, they would still have one major flaw: they always apply too much of everything! All of their tunes are needlessly filled with baroque trivialisms, which only really add to the flair itself, because musically, the result is pretty much a giant emptiness. An overall feeling of "trying too hard" is involuntarily stuck in my head from the moment they start existing in my soundscape. Essentially, what I mean is... they have no soul! They're like Dream Theater, except cheesy, lame and irrelevant.

Finally, and this is where I start turning into a prick and devalidating my entire answer:

edguy_logo_pic.jpg

Fuck yeah, Seaking! :geek:

And liking Black Metal means I have to be grim do I?

I was merely poking fun at you, because you most obviously mentioned BM because you felt emasculated. That and the fact that you use your musical taste as escapism, the equivalent would be me to start talking about how very manly I am because I just love Axis Of Perdition and how macho that makes me, so I should probably mention it in this post or else someone else might think less of me, god forbid... How about growing a pair?

If that wasn't clear enough, what I meant was "you're a tool".

Clearly the guy on the right is a rapist.

I love the one in the back, with really carefully done waves in his long greasy mane! :p

Goood luck in this thread, dude. Most of it is taken up with talk about whatever this week's best album I've ever heard that is soon forgotten. People will talk about artists/albums as if they are the first person in the world to have discovered them.

But mostly this thread is about poop.

Very true. It's got its' regulars and that's why it falls. Not enough input.

Just announced by blink 182 on their myspace...

Hi. We're blink-182. This past week there’ve been a lot of questions about the current status of the band, and we wanted you to hear it straight from us. To put it simply, We're back. We mean, really back. Picking up where we left off and then some. In the studio writing and recording a new album. Preparing to tour the world yet again. Friendships reformed. 17 years deep in our legacy.

Summer 2009.

Thanks and get ready...

Best news I've had in a long time :).

Just announced by blink 182 on their myspace...

[announcement]

Then I jizzed in my pants!

Hopefully the new album turns out for the best, I didn't enjoy any of the spin off bands.

Wow that was kinda lame. It actually sounded like he had released a song and Timbaland had decided to remix it but nope...thats the official version :/

Also, Green Day have announced thier new album. It's called "21st Century Breakdown", and will be out May 2009. It's about bloody time!!

http://www.greenday.com/site/news_black.php

Awwww crap. Guess the Reading rumors for Green Day will turn out to be true. Though if I'm lucky they'll decide to play Download instead and I won't have to put up with them. :heh:

Guess we'll find out tonight!

Awwww crap. Guess the Reading rumors for Green Day will turn out to be true. Though if I'm lucky they'll decide to play Download instead and I won't have to put up with them. :heh:

Guess we'll find out tonight!

Wait, what? Is the lineup announcement tonight?

I think Green Day are likely to play Reading tbh, though you could surely see another band whilst they're are on?

The Download lineup is revealed tonight apparantly. If GD are appearing at Download they won't be at Reading. Or probably won't be anyway, that's the way it tends to go! :heh:

Yeah for sure. Heck I might even stay and see them for a while, but with any luck there'll be someone awesome on the NME stage at that time. :heh:

Edit: God damn emoticons not showing up ><

The Download lineup is revealed tonight apparantly. If GD are appearing at Download they won't be at Reading. Or probably won't be anyway, that's the way it tends to go! :heh:

Yeah for sure. Heck I might even stay and see them for a while, but with any luck there'll be someone awesome on the NME stage at that time. :heh:

Edit: God damn emoticons not showing up ><

Ah, right, thanks for that. I think I'll be looking up the Download site tonight, I'm tempted to go tbh, but I can't afford both. So I have a difficult choice to make. :/

Hmm, yeah. I know in my head I'm definitely going to Reading Fest again this year but I'm still interested to see what the Download lineup will be like.

Chris Cornell is dead to me. I buy his CDs and he does this to me. Damn you Chris, damn you.

It is awful.

No offense, but you had it coming! Why would you buy a CD you haven't even heard?

I haven't bought his new album (don't think it's even out yet?) and I won't.

Most stuff I buy I test on last.fm or iTunes/Amazon 30 second previews, but some stuff I just buy without testing because it's by an artist I like. I like the thrill of getting a CD and listening to it all through for the first time without any idea of what it's going to be like. Listening to previews/thepiratebay can destroy that feeling sometimes.

I may have been tricked by this CD if I hadn't come across some articles about him and that producer fella.

Actual riffs? You have to be shitting me. Metallica play actual riffs, Decapitated play actual riffs... power metal is just cheesy european pop with wailing guitars in the background, and the occasional triplet based chug. That is not riffing. I understand that it may be catchy if you completely ignore the lyrics and your own sense of embarrassment that these people are actually taking this shit seriously, but catchyness only goes so far until you get fucking bored of the bands churning out albums following exactly the same template without even the slightest hint of progression or personality (no, singing about orcs and dragons, ie. Lord of The Rings does not qualify as personality)

I also love the idea that you think a persons music taste dictates how many friends they have.

Haha, that's my bad. I thought you said you liked Edguy.

I absolutely loved that post. You summed up why i stay completely away from the genre full of generic crap we called Power metal. Eugh.

woohoo new greenday :), hopefully its back to the old style before amercian idiot, though I did enjoy that album it was no way near as good as Dookie.

I hate that Chris Cornell song why did he do this to us :(.