NEurope

Metal is my domain. But do not get that confused with crap like Slipknot, Bullet for my Valentine, Trivium or such, this is false metal and I disapprove.

Not to say I only listen to metal. I will recommend to anyone with a decent pair of ears The Moon and The Nightspirit, a two piece folk band from Hungary. Proper folk, none of this Bob Dylan shit. Awesome to go to sleep to.

Hahaha. Need to show this post to my friend. Basically the only three bands he listens to are Slipknot, Bullet and Trivium, and he insists he is a "metalhead" and really hardcore and awesome.

I think the word is: pwned!

Metal is my domain. But do not get that confused with crap like Slipknot, Bullet for my Valentine, Trivium or such, this is false metal and I disapprove.

Not to say I only listen to metal. I will recommend to anyone with a decent pair of ears The Moon and The Nightspirit, a two piece folk band from Hungary. Proper folk, none of this Bob Dylan shit. Awesome to go to sleep to.

Awesome. :D I've barely dabbled my foot into the metal genre!

[quote name='dan-likes-trees;928293

Been listening a lot to Bon Iver - For Emma' date=' Forever Ago[/b'] - Which is just phenomenally beautiful, certainly my new album of 2008

Absolutely amazing album. :grin:

I only got round listening to him a few weeks ago as well. One of my albums of 08 for sho'. Perhaps not my favourite that spot goes to Laura Marling. :heart:

Yay! You're so good to recommend stuff to. You need to check out their other two too. Most people prefer them, as they're stillcreepy, but in an old black and white film kinda-way..lots of trip-hop and scratchy jazz samples. More pleasant.

P.S it's Third by Portishead. :p

Thanks. :)

Haha, I thought I'd got it wrong The Third did not quite sound right. I got confused between the album title and "The Rip!"

Yeah I saw it at Portsihead, no wonder I didn't come up with an results on Spotify! :p

I only got round listening to him a few weeks ago as well. One of my albums of 08 for sho'. Perhaps not my favourite that spot goes to Laura Marling. :heart:

There's no two ways around the fact Alas, I Cannot Swim is brilliant.

Funnily enough, I'm not a massive metal fan, yet Metallica are my most listened to artist on iTunes by a country mile (apart from them it's usually hip hop i listen to).

Master Of Puppets, now that's the shit.

netto indie? splain.

But anything and everything!

sorry, pet term for the really shit modern indie. Post Libertines 'bare bones' stuff that's written, one imagines, by disturbed chimpanzees. I hate it all with a burning passion.

and proper indie is all the awesome 90s and 80s stuff like The Smiths, The Stone Roses etc etc.

edit: good to see some Rumours love, Coolness. I only reccomend the best :D

Funnily enough, I'm not a massive metal fan, yet Metallica are my most listened to artist on iTunes by a country mile (apart from them it's usually hip hop i listen to).

Master Of Puppets, now that's the shit.

Master of Puppets is a good album, though over time it has lost its appeal to me. ...And Justice For All is my favourite Metallica album. Anything after that is just no.

Hahaha. Need to show this post to my friend. Basically the only three bands he listens to are Slipknot, Bullet and Trivium, and he insists he is a "metalhead" and really hardcore and awesome.

I think the word is: pwned!

I think you will find there are two types of 'metalheads' (though I dislike the term), one who likes metal for the music, and one who likes it for the image, being 'metal' etc.

Master of Puppets is a good album, though over time it has lost its appeal to me. ...And Justice For All is my favourite Metallica album. Anything after that is just no.

I think you will find there are two types of 'metalheads' (though I dislike the term), one who likes metal for the music, and one who likes it for the image, being 'metal' etc.

AJFA is good but the drums and guitars are far to loud, can barely hear the bass at all. Master is perfect for me. I mean, you've got master and battery which are well known by everyone but it's songs like Disposable Heroes and Leper messiah which make the album the best for me. Oh, and Orion is the greatest thing ever, much better than To Live is To Die. I prefer Ride The Lightning to AJFA (Fade To Black, Trapped Under Ice, Ride The Lightning).

And lol, I love how all metal heads don't like the load and reload albums despite the fact that compared to albums of a similar genre they are far better. Load is probably my least favourite Metallica album (after St. Anger obv) but Reload is probably my 3rd favourite. I like bluesy rock and Reload has some fantastic songs off it (Unforgiven II, Fuel, Devil's Dance, The Memory Remains).

If i had to rank my their albums it would be :

Master, Ride The Lightning, Reload, Death Magnetic, The Black Album, AJFA, Kill Em All, Load, St. Anger.

It was a bit strange at first but now I have no problem with the mix of AJFA, perhaps because listening to black metal I have heard far, far worse lol.

Hmm I am very fussy with Metallica, not one of my fave bands though, don't listen to them very often. At least it's pretty much universal agreement that St. Anger was absolutely abhorrent.

No. Just... no. You like Edguy. You're an affront to metalheads all over the world.

No. Just... no. You like Edguy. You're an affront to metalheads all over the world.

I was waiting for an official OW comment to pop up. I love them.

My favourite is Ride The Lightning by a mile. This is why i love Metallica so much. Theres not just 1 album everyone thinks the best :awesome:

You're right. I'm so sorry for not being one of those 'metalheads' that takes themselves so seriously, that has no fun, that has no friends. . .

Edguy are a fun band, they have actual riffs in their music, they are gloriously cheesy (metal is cheesy), they are only for cool people like me and not you :kiss:

Even if I didn't think the new album was too great.

Seriously though, I am very interested to know what constitutes real metal in your book. I mean, I think Edguy are real metal, but so are Falchion, so are Behexen, all completely different.

My favourite is Ride The Lightning by a mile. This is why i love Metallica so much. Theres not just 1 album everyone thinks the best :awesome:

Ride is rather amazing :) Fade To Black is absolutely incredible, Trapped Under ice is just mental, Ride The lightning is superb and Call of Ktulu is a very good way to close an album, good stuff.

I was waiting for an official OW comment to pop up. I love them.

Hahaha. And I was only just (grudgingly) beginning to take your tastes seriously.

Man, Edguy are bad even for power metal.

Hahaha. And I was only just (grudgingly) beginning to take your tastes seriously.

What?

I don't get how the two are connected.

I just love how disparaging (sp?) Oxigen_Waste's comments can be.

Tastes differing and whatnot, but it sounds awful. A "generic" metal song (from an "outside" listener pov), awful cheesy vocals and lyrics, cliched sounds in general..can't bear that.

That's power metal right? I really hate that I think, as a subgenre. I've toyed with metal as a whole in the past, but most either sounds dull and bland to me after a while or is ridiculous. ::shrug:

Edguy are a fun band, they have actual riffs in their music, they are gloriously cheesy (metal is cheesy), they are only for cool people like me and not you :kiss:

Actual riffs? You have to be shitting me. Metallica play actual riffs, Decapitated play actual riffs... power metal is just cheesy european pop with wailing guitars in the background, and the occasional triplet based chug. That is not riffing. I understand that it may be catchy if you completely ignore the lyrics and your own sense of embarrassment that these people are actually taking this shit seriously, but catchyness only goes so far until you get fucking bored of the bands churning out albums following exactly the same template without even the slightest hint of progression or personality (no, singing about orcs and dragons, ie. Lord of The Rings does not qualify as personality)

I also love the idea that you think a persons music taste dictates how many friends they have.

What?

I don't get how the two are connected.

I just love how disparaging (sp?) Oxigen_Waste's comments can be.

Haha, that's my bad. I thought you said you liked Edguy.

Yes. Edguy sing about Orcs. All the time. Please try and distinguish the fact that I am an Edguy fan, not a Power Metal fan in general. Stuff like Epica and Kamelot is crap yes. Metallica play riffs, yes, so do Decapitated. Edguy have riffs too, some pretty sweet ones at that.

And I was kinda making the point that these people do not take this shit seriously.

Now if I want to be a serious boring bastard (which I often do), and want nothing but relentless riff after riff, i'll dip into my black metal collection. But guess what, sometimes I like to have some fun with some fun music!

Haggis - Did you get to the chorus bit? COME DOWN WITH FIIIIRREEEE!!!! That's amazing vocal ability!

Yes. Edguy sing about Orcs. All the time. Please try and distinguish the fact that I am an Edguy fan, not a Power Metal fan in general. Stuff like Epica and Kamelot is crap yes. Metallica play riffs, yes, so do Decapitated. Edguy have riffs too, some pretty sweet ones at that.

And I was kinda making the point that these people do not take this shit seriously.

Now if I want to be a serious boring bastard (which I often do), and want nothing but relentless riff after riff, i'll dip into my black metal collection. But guess what, sometimes I like to have some fun with some fun music!

Haggis - Did you get to the chorus bit? COME DOWN WITH FIIIIRREEEE!!!! That's amazing vocal ability!

You want good "funny" metal, with a real sense of humour? Go listen to Turisas or Gwar... now, Edguy, what the flying fuck are you on about?!

I can understand you liking Edguy, I have no problem whatsoever with you liking them, what's really bothering me is that you're actually convinced they're good. Which is actually beyond funny, I'm quite literally scared. Hey, at least it's not Gamma Ray or Hammerfall, right?

Oh, and FYI, we get it, you're the kewl headbanger, the guy that knows how to have fun and still go home and be a very fucking trve and really grim BM'er. I'm glad for you. That's very clever. How's that working for you?

While the singers voice was rubbish, and the lyrics pretty dumb, I found that song to be reasonably enjoyable for some reason.

And btw, I never once said I wanted 'funny' metal. I just stated that Edguy (and other bands) are not serious. Even their serious songs aren't the kind of thing you (or I) can take too seriously.

Why aren't Edguy good? You keep knocking them but I haven't seen any reason so far?

And liking Black Metal means I have to be grim do I?

Goood luck in this thread, dude. Most of it is taken up with talk about whatever this week's best album I've ever heard that is soon forgotten. People will talk about artists/albums as if they are the first person in the world to have discovered them.

I know nothing about metal of any kind. I saw Meshuggah the other month and they were pretty sweet, but it's rare for me to be in the mood to listen to cannibal corpse/whatever.

I just come in here to say mewithoutyou and, sometimes, Flight of the Jesus Dog every now and then. I have no taste in music so sometimes Brokencyde and Totally Radd!! will pop up too! But mostly this thread is about poop.