N-Europe

Can't remember who was on about Kate Perry, but I now agree. Love "I kissed a girl"

Awesome! I love her album "One of the Boys", I've been playing so much I swear it's all that's in my head at the moment. "I Kissed a Girl" is even my ringtone. Yes, I'm that sad. :D

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

I've got a little playlist going. Just had 5ive - Keep on Moving (I love it), Massive Attack - Teardrop, Radiohead - No Surprises, Simply Red - Fairground, and now My Bloody Valentine -Sometimes.

I love them all, but oh so differently.

I've also got out my guitar and am going to play everyday this summer until I rock...and then I'll continue playing. Trying to perfect the intro for One.

Teardrop is still amazing, even with all the "overexposure" of it (though I've never noticed much of that).

Right now I can't stop listening to Regina Spektor's "The Call". So beautiful it almost makes me cry. =)

Teardrop is still amazing, even with all the "overexposure" of it (though I've never noticed much of that).

They've used it in a few tv shows. It's the theme music for House, and it was used in Prison Break. Plus, it was used to promote Assassin's Creed. :)

They've used it in a few tv shows. It's the theme music for House, and it was used in Prison Break. Plus, it was used to promote Assassin's Creed. :)

Well I never watched those shows or played the game (or seen any promotion). So it's all still good in my book. =P

Well I never watched those shows or played the game (or seen any promotion). So it's all still good in my book. =P

So you do have a weakness after all. :)

I still love it, in fact I thought they used it brilliantly in Prison Break. It's a great tune.

I'm playing Hey Jude right now. Remember?

So you do have a weakness after all. :)

I still love it, in fact I thought they used it brilliantly in Prison Break. It's a great tune.

I'm playing Hey Jude right now. Remember?

Well I saw half an episode of Prison Break if that counts, and maybe two of House MD. =P

And yes I remember!

*listens some more to Regina Spektor* ^____^

Awesome! I love her album "One of the Boys", I've been playing so much I swear it's all that's in my head at the moment. "I Kissed a Girl" is even my ringtone. Yes, I'm that sad. :D

That's not sad, that's awesome! Mine is the Pokémon anime theme at the moment, now that is sad :heh:

Well I saw half an episode of Prison Break if that counts, and maybe two of House MD. =P

And yes I remember!

*listens some more to Regina Spektor* ^____^

You're forgiven then.

Naaaaa naa naa

NaNaNaNaaa

NaNaNaNaaaa

Eeeenoooooo

:D

I think I've fallen in love with music all over again.

Thanks for sharing that song with me Eenuh! :D

It's absolutely beautiful. It almost reduced me to tears and I'm not one who usually cries.

It's made me want to listen to more of her songs again! her voice is so good. ^____^

recently I've been listening to Christina Aguliera and have to say her back to basics alum has grown on me and I love "save myself" and "welcome" off it. :)

OK! Now I have to listen to Hey Jude! :grin:

Right, I'm after some suggestions from you lovely people. If you're not a lovely person... busy yourself with being ashamed.

Anyway, I want to expand my music collection whilst keeping it primarily within the boundaries of what I already listen to. In other words, I'd appreciate some recommendations that fit within the same scatter-shot as the following: Lamb, Lou Rhodes, Hooverphonic, Imogen Heap/Frou Frou, Massive Attack, Zero 7, Boards of Canada, Portishead, The Cinematic Orchestra, and Sigur Rós.

To give a more literary example of what I'm after, I like poetic, electronic, orchestral, and downbeat sounds. Music that gets under your wings and takes you some place else. Audio to escape to.

So, any ideas?

Right, I'm after some suggestions from you lovely people. If you're not a lovely person... busy yourself with being ashamed.

Anyway, I want to expand my music collection whilst keeping it primarily within the boundaries of what I already listen to. In other words, I'd appreciate some recommendations that fit within the same scatter-shot as the following: Lamb, Lou Rhodes, Hooverphonic, Imogen Heap/Frou Frou, Massive Attack, Zero 7, Boards of Canada, Portishead, The Cinematic Orchestra, and Sigur Rós.

To give a more literary example of what I'm after, I like poetic, electronic, orchestral, and downbeat sounds. Music that gets under your wings and takes you some place else. Audio to escape to.

So, any ideas?

Earlier, I was listening to Transmission by Joy Division.

Failing that, try some New Order? You mentioned Electronic. Both bands take you somewhere else.

Also, Explosions in the Sky? Mogwai? Give them a try. First Breath After Coma by Explosions gives me shivers whenever I listen to it, powerful stuff.

Which is the European festival Tori Amos is headlining/part of? I'd kill to go to that.

EDIT; Folk Festival Dranouter, in Belgium August 1, just checked. *wants to trade places with Eenuh*

Heh, I might actually be going to this, maybe. A friend wants to go and now we're asking around, seeing who wants to go as well. I'll have to arrange something at work then, but that shouldn't be too difficult I hope. =)

Also still looking into going to Pukkelpop. I want to go!

Aimless: I don't know if it's something you would like, but I love Ozark Henry's music. He's a Belgian artist though, and I'm not sure you'll find much of him online (youtube and stuff). But yeah, I like his music. ^___^

So, any ideas?

This is ripped from another forum, but yeah, I love a lot of those people you posted.

Amazing musicians/lyricists

Tori Amos

Pj Harvey (Rock, btw, not at all like Tori Amos)

Antony And The Johnsons

Joanna Newsom

Patrick Wolf

CocoRosie

Sigur Ros

Tegan & Sara

Laura marling

Trip-Hop-y/Beat-based Stuff

Bjork

Portishead

Tricky

Goldfrapp

Massive Attack

Justice

Lamb

Air

Crystal Castles

Rock (admitedly not even breached the surface of "deep" rock myself)

Velvet Undergrounf

Sonic Youth

Iggy Pop/The Stooges

Patti Smith

Siouxsie And The Banshees

Nine Inch Nails

Cansei De Ser Sexy (or CSS)

Hole

Nirvana

Alanis Morissette (relatively light compared to the others)

Radiohead fits in there somewhere too.

-----

I've probs missed out loads, but yeah. EDITED a few times.

[suggestions]

Joy Division and New Order are more my brother's sort of music. I'm more of a late '90s person.

Explosions In The Sky sounds much more my sort of thing, although I'm only going off 30 second previews at present. Mogwai seem like someone to pursue, too.

Aimless: I don't know if it's something you would like, but I love Ozark Henry's music.

Hmm, I just gave some of his stuff a listen and I'm not sure about him. It's partly due to my predisposition towards female vocalists, I imagine; guess I'm a sucker for the ladies.

Thanks to you both for the suggestions. And sorry if I come across as dismissive: I don't really dislike any sort of music — although metal and urban generally aren't my cup of tea — I'm just rather selective about what I have in my personal library; it has to 'click' with me. I like to keep a collection I'm unlikely to chance upon in everyday life, if you see what I mean.

And thanks to Paj Meen Ah, too. I'll get cracking on your list now.

Senses Fail have announced that their new album is coming out on October 7th, if anyone cares. (Jayseven?)

I've not been keeping up with them - only just re-downloaded their first LP so will probably keep an eye out for that :)

The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Of Me.

Download it. Bye.

First off, you're two years late.

Secondly, it's a very run-of-the-mill unextraordinary album. Stop wasting people's time.

I disagree that it's run-of-the-mill. It doesn't seem to have the same lifespan as Deja Entendu, but.. just no :)

p.s. everyone listen to mewithoutYou again. I figured it wouldn't be a post by me in this thread if i didn't mention them.

I'd like to mention that all the above are excellent suggestions, and Mogwai are the first band I thought of: Largely instrumental, they capable of putting me in to a complete trance with pavement splintering riffs just overpowering the senses. They're utterly brilliant.

On a similar note, Battles offer a kind of intense, structurally surreal take on math/dance rock that really takes you over. It's not the easiest of material but it really, really gets inside your head and takes your mind to a very, very special place.

I also can't recommend LCD Soundsystem highly enough: Their Sound of Silver LP is a melancholy, wistful salute to culture and old friends since gone, beautifully strung together with some of the best ambient rock I've ever heard.

For prog, you can't go wrong with King Crimson's Dicipline. Surreal, mind blowing classic rock in full swing with insane but hypnotic vocals. Genius!

:D

I've actually put down a list of people who I currently think are great.

ZOMG Coolness you just reminded me that I left off Laura Marling!

:o

I haven't listened to her for a while! She is great.

After I've listened to more Regina Spektor I'm going to give Laura a good listen to again. :D