NEurope

Been listening to a Warp Records mix album this afternoon. I fucking love Warp- They're just amazingly high standard and fighting the good fight for strong independent companies. Loads of my favourite artists are with them.

Little debate between me and a friend. Most influential electronic musician/band of the 90s. He said The Prodigy. I said get out The Prodigy. Aphex Twin or DJ Shadow were my suggestions.

Who is the most influential musician of the 90s sirs?

I just listened to some !!! Dan, sounded good. Needs more listens before I am sold though. Wasn't mind blowing.

What do people think of the new NIN album. I have only listened to one track and it was ok. Again, needs more of a listen.

Who is the most influential musician of the 90s sirs?

Not to lower the tone, but Cher was pretty influential. The tinny vocals used in Believe are actually called "The Cher Effect".

She pretty much made gay discos what they are aswell. :p

Bjork had a life in the 90s, but then she wasn't really that influential because everyone thought she was a weirdo.

I could mention tonnes of others, but they are off the top of my head.

Bjork had a life in the 90s, but then she wasn't really that influential because everyone thought she was a weirdo.

She still is...

DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I UNLEASHED!?!

/not bjork love.

Blur in terms of brit pop in the 90's

In terms of pop *looks at spice girls*

anyone in to !!! ?

!!! are awesome, I saw them live a couple of years ago and fell in love. And honestly when a band takes to the stage with 4 drummers who wouldn't.

Little debate between me and a friend. Most influential electronic musician/band of the 90s. He said The Prodigy. I said get out The Prodigy. Aphex Twin or DJ Shadow were my suggestions.

Obviously, Entroducing... is a classic, but I would agree with his choice of The Prodigy, and potentially The Chemical Brothers, Faithless/Groove Armada/Fatboy slim are all probably in the top 10 as well.

Good taste in album Somme.

The song No Wow is one of my faves.

Much prefer their new album, "Midnight Boom". My favourite album of the year. Very "2008".

Who is the most influential musician(s) of the 90s sirs?

Probably the Spice Girls as much as it pains me to say it. lol not gaydiohead

Although whether they actually made music is debatable.

Oh whoops, I meant to say electronic musicians of the ninetys as that was the debate.

you missed out the point of the debate; 'electronic'. :)

I'd say Aphex Twin or Daft Punk, given the resurgence of French house last few years.

Daft Punk were in the 90s, right? I'm not going mad am I...

I'd say Aphex Twin, given the largely expanding breakcore scene in holland, spreading to America and Japan who were largely inspired by Aphex Twin. Artists like Venetian Snares, Bong-Ra and DJ Scotch egg. Not to mention the large number of other artists that fall under the IDM catagory, Autechre, ISAN, Four Tet, Frog Pocket, u-Ziq which are all getting remarkably popular these days. I imagine a lot of the bippity boppy electronic bands could list Aphex as an influence as well, 8-bit scene also.

Yeah, damn right. Daft Punk and Aphex Twin are clearly the most influential electronic acts of the 90's. Daft Punk totally tore house music a new hole, through which a lot of crap (but a bit of good) dance and electronica bled. And Aphex Twin is fucking Aphex Twin.

How are they wrong really? They've got an astonishingly huge popularity...

They are essentially saying the biggest band in the world, which isn't true. They are hugely popular but they are in no way the biggest.

Plus in doing so they isolate themselves from all other bands out there, which would no doubt annoy the others.

Went to see Lightspeed Champion last night at Koko. He was awesome. Emmy the great was there too which I hoped she would be seen as she sings on the album a lot.

Was great. Even played a big stars wars ballad at the end which was AWESOME. Love that man.

Did he have a funny hat on?

Yeah his traditional grey hunters hat thing. :smile:

They are essentially saying the biggest band in the world, which isn't true. They are hugely popular but they are in no way the biggest.

Plus in doing so they isolate themselves from all other bands out there, which would no doubt annoy the others.

They're saying that their succes was so big with Rush of Blood and X&Y, and that they couldn't top that. They're saying they've reached their max, not that they're the biggest in the world.

In terms of popularity, I think U2 is quite easily the biggest worldwide, but Coldplay is definitely in the top 10.

They're saying that their succes was so big with Rush of Blood and X&Y, and that they couldn't top that. They're saying they've reached their max, not that they're the biggest in the world.

In terms of popularity, I think U2 is quite easily the biggest worldwide, but Coldplay is definitely in the top 10.

I'd (personally) say U2's popularity has floundered a bit as they're (or at least Bono) is getting to the point of being an annoying personality. The Tom Cruise of music if you will.

I was just in a bitter mood earlier (I blame the sun :P) and never have liked the band. Always found ingrowing toenails to be more fun than listening to one of their albums.

They're dull as ditchwater and deserve a good kicking. I do however love their new album cover, but only because I've always loved Liberty Leading The People.

====

I really like NIN's free album, The Slip. The only other one I have is their debut album and that EP everyone likes somewhere.

I don't know wich one is the biggest, but it's not U2, that's for sure. Hell, even 50 cent is more popular than U2.