N-Europe

Rumour: Hard Drive for Wii

shade

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They would just need to let channels and save games be not just stored on the SD-Card but also accessed from there. I don't understand why they don't include that in the firmware or haven't already included this possibility. Of course they might fear you could do something to run homebrew or whatever through SD-Card then BUT I could also store a channel or change a channel on a stored SD-Card and copy that one over to the Wii. The just need to use the same checks before letting you use such a channel.

There is not point in a hard-drive. It is not nearly that secure as SD-Cards for keeping your data (no head-crashes a.s.o.).

There is not point in a hard-drive. It is not nearly that secure as SD-Cards for keeping your data head-crashes

SD cards can go corrupt too just back up your data and it dosen't matter.

anyway i found out that i still have a 4g drive lying around somewhere. all i need is a case (if the rumors true) and i'll be all set.

There is not point in a hard-drive. It is not nearly that secure as SD-Cards for keeping your data (no head-crashes a.s.o.).

I think you will find sd cards are more unreliable. Particulary, they can only be re-written a finite number of times. Though, I expect them to get better but people are more concerned with capacity and speed at the moment

I imagine a hard drive would look pretty bad.

actually external HDs have to be in special cases. Just get a case that looks cool. if worst comes to worst you can always either get a skin or put it bekind your wii.

some HD cases even have blue lights on the front. i think one would look cool next to the wii

I agree that the wii does need to get more memory space from somewhere, i mean if someone was too buy a wii just for the wii games then far enough 512mb would be fine but the way im downloading these vc games it will eventually be full. And to delete some vc games to make some more room for others will be a pain, because i don't want to have to wait for a game to be downloaded everytime i want to play a diff game that i have already bought!

The idea of enabling USB drives and SD Cards to store on them and play off them sounds like a good idea though. They would be small so wouldn't require any more space! If they did do this though, what kinda size can USB drives go up 2(storage capacity)?

when the apple + nintendo collaboration is announces we will see the idrive for wii attachment. This will hold movies, songs and spoken word books. It will also hold all the virtual console games ever. Then cisco will take over and make the wii a network hub. An important feature will be internet telephony. Then microsoft will step in and plug the wii into the xbox... so that the wireless and controllers can be exploited. Then myamoto will die of a drugs overdoes and work in tesco with Elvis and kurt kobain and that blond bimbo who married the oil tycoon whose name I forget

I think you will find sd cards are more unreliable. Particulary, they can only be re-written a finite number of times.

Yes... each memory cell can only be re-written some 1 million times.

Lets say you use the same card for 5 years

1 million / 5 = 200,000 rewrites a year or ~548 (547.945...) a day for 5 years.

at 10 years you get ~274 rewrites per day

That limitation is nothing to worry about. Also don't forget the 512MB in the wii itself has this same limitation.

That limitation is nothing to worry about. Also don't forget the 512MB in the wii itself has this same limitation.

so if you play your wii alot it will probably only last 10 years.

hopefully its sucessor will be backwards compatible

so if you play your wii alot it will probably only last 10 years.

hopefully its sucessor will be backwards compatible

No.... if you rewrite every block on your console ~274 times a day it will last for about 10 years. Reading does not cause any degradation of the memory. I write to mine a few times a week (mainly due to having wario ware and wii sports). I can foresee writing 20 times a day when more games come out. Maybe upwards of 50. This would not be writing over the entire 512MB however and thus only small bits would die off over ~56 years (at 20 writes per day). If those parts die off the system will simply use another part of the memory. I haven't seen this tested so I'm not sure if the "dead" sections are readable or not so you may lose data. At any rate you have nothing to worry about. A hard drive will die off before your flash memory goes.

The Wii needs a hard drive. This will happen, and if Nintendo doesn't do it, some third party would have.

well seeing as nintendo has to release a firmware update

(if the wii could already use a hard drive we could just plug one in right now)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!