NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
conzer16

Binge Drinking & Alcohol

This topic has come around at the right time to vent some thoughts.

Being a uni student everyone assumes you have to go out regularly and get absolutely rat arsed, spending £20-£50 just getting drunk. Probably because I'm a home student, going into town to get drunk for no reason other to get drunk is very stupid in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I love going out and having a few drinks. But I don't see the point in getting drunk so that you have a hang over the next day when you need to concentrate, and find yourself skint at the end of the month.

You can see why some students have huge debts after uni because they are getting drunk too often. Hell one guy on my course turned up for no lectures, practicals or examinations, yet he was out most nights getting drunk at clubs. Whats the point in that?

I get called boring for not going out to often, my preference on drinking would be a quiet pub, a few drinks while either eating a meal, watching some football or playing fruit machines. I'd also say a few drinks at a gig or event wouldn't go a miss. And obviously celebrations of sorts.

I used to be what was classed as a binge drinker. Go out once or twice a week and have a few glasses of wine. However since I've moved back home I've found myself having a glass every other night, which worries me a bit more.

I get called boring for not going out to often, my preference on drinking would be a quiet pub, a few drinks while either eating a meal, watching some football or playing fruit machines. I'd also say a few drinks at a gig or event wouldn't go a miss. And obviously celebrations of sorts.

I somewhat concour. I prefer just going to a pub for a few. But a club every once in a while ain't too bad (as long as its not in my shitpit of a town)

This topic has come around at the right time to vent some thoughts.

Being a uni student everyone assumes you have to go out regularly and get absolutely rat arsed, spending £20-£50 just getting drunk. Probably because I'm a home student, going into town to get drunk for no reason other to get drunk is very stupid in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I love going out and having a few drinks. But I don't see the point in getting drunk so that you have a hang over the next day when you need to concentrate, and find yourself skint at the end of the month.

You can see why some students have huge debts after uni because they are getting drunk too often. Hell one guy on my course turned up for no lectures, practicals or examinations, yet he was out most nights getting drunk at clubs. Whats the point in that?

B O R I N G fits you in my eyes. University is a time of life where you not only study and should live alone for the first time alone. You should meet new and different people, enjoy life with all its leisures aswell.

I go out on weekends (sometimes during the week aswell), sometimes I just stay at home with my girlfriend, I visit and invite friends, we talk, we play, we drink, ...

It is not about drinking but about enjoying your life and I am sorry to say but one day you will probably think why can't I go back and make things different. For that you don't have to be a heavy drinker - I might drink a few beers once a week but the times where I am really drunk are long over. I would say I prefer a quiet pub with my friends more than spending a fortune on booze.

I'm a binger, i was worse last year, first day of the second term in 1st year i did a whole large bottle of southern comfort, a large bottle of tiger beer, a few cans, and then im not sure what in the bar/club. I was hammered but the good sort, laughing, happy, in controle but no inhibitions.

Lately ive been a bit stupid, ive been drinking on an empty stomach after uni on fridays, its not clever, if you dont eat you get drunk, which is fine, but when you havent eaten, tis a weird drunk.

I did a fair bit of voldka last night, i was getting drunk but voldka just makes me feel sick, so despite my best efforts i didnt get to a decent degree of drunk, then every onejust wanted to stand around in the night club, if your not drunk, clubs can be boring, ended up going home around 1.10-1.30 and didnt bother with a kebab.

For me, getting drunk is great, say what you want about lack of self controle, i have my own theory, drinking resorts people back to a more animal state. think about it, you want food, sex and to be around mates (herd, tribe?) your quicker to be violent and say things decorum would usualy stop you saying. all this means is you should thik more about were you get drunk, like if your with some one who you dont like, maybe you should go easy.

Its fair enough if you don't wanna drink, but i can't stand people looking down at outhers for doing it, so some bodies drunk, oh no, the horror, what ever can we do? it may be due to my parents relationship with alcohal, but i don't think its necicarily a bad thing to get drunk every once in a while, i dont usualy drink unless i plan to get drunk or ocashionaly to relax, i mean, whats better then a nice cold pint after a crappy day?

it seems to me that theres a bit of a nanny state thing going on about binge drinking at the moment, from talking to people i know, binge drinkings ben goig on for eyars, only now do people have a problem with it.

just to put it all in perspective, alcohal has led to some of the best days/nights ive had, but it wasn't the soul cause. I spend alot of time around drunks and ive not seen alot of violence, in my opinion most people are alot friendlier when drunk, more willing to talk and dont usualy kick off over nothing. getting drunk isn't big, and it isnt clever, but it is fun. id rather be happy then big and clever.

I havent touched a drop of alcohol this year so far, as I have always driven if we go out to a club or pub. I do drink tho, and will do on one night out soon when I am not drivin, but I have never been totally pissed, just merry. I don't drink socially either (i,e in the local) as most of my friends live 20+miles away from me.

People talk about getting drunk as if it's a social thing, but I just think it's selfish. It's a way of shelving one's responsibility and passing it on to others — "I couldn't help it, I was drunk." Sure, drunk people might have a good time, but what about everyone else? They're the ones that have to deal with the violence or irrationality, they're the ones that have to clean up after the so-called grownups, and when you're standing on the outside looking in, trust me it really gives you perspective oh how idiotic the whole thing is.

I'm not saying that getting drunk makes you a terrible person, I just think it's sad that it's so ingrained in our culture that people take it as accepted — no, expected — behaviour. I see so many people that live purely for the weekend, people that waste all their money on nightly inebriation, and it's such a depressing sight. It's like they're blind followers of an alcoholic religion.

I've no more problem with people having a glass of wine or the occasional pint than with someone eating a chocolate bar, but if they're going out drinking every night or dining purely on confectioneries then I'm going to be worried. The ancient Greeks had it right all those years ago: everything in moderation. Binge drinking is by definition not moderation.

Can someone tell me what's so fun in getting drunk? I don't see the appeal. Getting tipsy, okay, but drunk?

When does sober turn tipsy and when does tipsy turn drunk? I'd say drunk is simply an elevated tipsy. How drunk are you talking though, like drunk you find it hard to talk proper, drunk you won't remember anything, drunk that you're falling over? The only problem with getting really drunk, is that it increases the chances of you doing/starting something stupid, but it doesn't happen to everyone.

As for 'binge drinking', isn't the technical definition of binge drinking like more than 5 units at a time or something?

People talk about getting drunk as if it's a social thing, but I just think it's selfish. It's a way of shelving one's responsibility and passing it on to others — "I couldn't help it, I was drunk." Sure, drunk people might have a good time, but what about everyone else? They're the ones that have to deal with the violence or irrationality, they're the ones that have to clean up after the so-called grownups, and when you're standing on the outside looking in, trust me it really gives you perspective oh how idiotic the whole thing is.

That's only true if the people affected accept that as an excuse. Me personally, I don't use being drunk as an excuse for doing any of the stupid things I do when drunk, and I don't expect people to take it as a valid reason either. Alcohol doesn't put anything in you, it doesn't exert some exterior control on you, it just(as chris the great said) breaks down judgement and inhibitions, but the desires and behaviours are already there, they're part of you.

Wish i could be like that, i allways end being taken home by someone in a taxi.

I always get the night bus. My last train is like 00:14 which sucks. But the night bus stops right by my house, however it does take around an hour which is epic but when you're drunk you dont really noctice :yay:

When does sober turn tipsy and when does tipsy turn drunk? I'd say drunk is simply an elevated tipsy. How drunk are you talking though, like drunk you find it hard to talk proper, drunk you won't remember anything, drunk that you're falling over? The only problem with getting really drunk, is that it increases the chances of you doing/starting something stupid, but it doesn't happen to everyone.

As for 'binge drinking', isn't the technical definition of binge drinking like more than 5 units at a time or something?

I've never been drunk so I wouldn't know about the different stages. Though in my opinion all of them are bad. I've seen enough drunk people in my life to be turned off by the thought of ever getting drunk myself. It's not a pleasant thing to see, especially when they start throwing up in your cooking pans or just all over themselves (and you have to drag them to the car).

Tipsy is when you start being more open, aren't that afraid to do stuff you wouldn't otherwise. Isn't that enough to have fun? I don't get why you would have to go even further; it'll just spoil it for other people or yourself (forgetting what happened during the night is not my idea of fun).

The way they class binge drinking is just stupid nowadays, according to my doctor anything over 6 drinks (or is it units of alcohol) in a 24 hour period is classed as binge drinking. That is just stupid, maybe it's just me but I don't think 6 drinks a day is excessive if it's not everyday, and 6 units definitely isn't. To me binge drinking is something like a 24 hour bender, not half a dozen pints. Stupid government.

I've never been drunk so I wouldn't know about the different stages. Though in my opinion all of them are bad. I've seen enough drunk people in my life to be turned off by the thought of ever getting drunk myself. It's not a pleasant thing to see, especially when they start throwing up in your cooking pans or just all over themselves (and you have to drag them to the car).

Tipsy is when you start being more open, aren't that afraid to do stuff you wouldn't otherwise. Isn't that enough to have fun? I don't get why you would have to go even further; it'll just spoil it for other people or yourself (forgetting what happened during the night is not my idea of fun).

That's the thing, I think it differs from person to person of how drunk drunk is, most people will say that beyond the point of remembering is too drunk. Others may think it's where you start slurring words and so on. I'll admit, it's been a rare occasion where I've been sober around drunk people, so I haven't really seen alot of other drunks from a sober point of view to be honest.

6 units? That isn't very much at all, about 2-3 pints depending on the strength? I'd say more than 10 units over 3 hours would be around about binge drinking levels.

(Is it ironic that as I type this, I'm actually having some beer)

I regularly go out with several groups of friends, probabily 2 or 3 times a week, and more often than not end up legless. But that all depends on where we go and who I'm with. I prefer staying in quiet pubs so you can actually have a sociable covnersation with the people you're with. In Happy Hour at the campus bar, 3-7 fridays, it's £1.20 a pint. It could be a fantastic social occasion were it not for the fact that you can barely hear the person next to you because of the loud music. You look across the bar, and everyone is sitting around tables trying to shout at each other, and there's a DJ in the corner acting like he's the best thing since sliced bread. Truth is, nobody actually wants the music, or there would be people dancing.

Your tipsy is what I would class as drunk.

And what you say is drunk I would class as totally out of it :heh:

Eh, I don't know. As long as you're not doing stupid stuff, can still walk on a straight line, talk like a normal person... that doesn't sound like being drunk to me.

Maybe I just get tipsy really easily (two or three glasses of wine can sometimes be enough)...

The way they class binge drinking is just stupid nowadays, according to my doctor anything over 6 drinks (or is it units of alcohol) in a 24 hour period is classed as binge drinking. That is just stupid, maybe it's just me but I don't think 6 drinks a day is excessive if it's not everyday, and 6 units definitely isn't. To me binge drinking is something like a 24 hour bender, not half a dozen pints. Stupid government.

Quoted for truth. If you can handle 5/6 drinks without being ossified then its not binge drinking. I would classify binge drinking as, like Rokhed said, a 24 hour bender.

I don't think that its necicary a bad thing to be drunk, as long as you arnt puttign any one else in danger.

There is the issue of people throwing up, and its not pleasant, but to e honest, if you can't deal with a bit of puke, which most people amnage to do in a toilet, bucket or sink, then you arnt gonna have a nice time with kids. its not nice to clean up outher people's sick, thats a fact, but in my opinion, if pubs/clubs encourage people to drink, they should accept it goes too far and some one will be sick, its part of the pay off of their bussiness, and think how much the government make on taxes from booze, more then enough to be able to aford the council the cost of cleaning it, and if people are willing to make a living doing that then its ok by me.

I'm not justifying people getting hospitalised by drink, but i can think of worse things to be then drunk.

given the choice of being sat at home alone, watching tv or going out on the piss, theres no contest, pubs/clubs is different, depends on your mood really, and is true, when pubs have loud music its just annoying

and as for everything in moderation? were exactly does rape fit into that saying?

I don't think that its necicary a bad thing to be drunk, as long as you arnt puttign any one else in danger.

There is the issue of people throwing up, and its not pleasant, but to e honest, if you can't deal with a bit of puke, which most people amnage to do in a toilet, bucket or sink, then you arnt gonna have a nice time with kids. its not nice to clean up outher people's sick, thats a fact, but in my opinion, if pubs/clubs encourage people to drink, they should accept it goes too far and some one will be sick, its part of the pay off of their bussiness, and think how much the government make on taxes from booze, more then enough to be able to aford the council the cost of cleaning it, and if people are willing to make a living doing that then its ok by me.

I'm not justifying people getting hospitalised by drink, but i can think of worse things to be then drunk.

given the choice of being sat at home alone, watching tv or going out on the piss, theres no contest, pubs/clubs is different, depends on your mood really, and is true, when pubs have loud music its just annoying

and as for everything in moderation? were exactly does rape fit into that saying?

Vomit is horrible, especially when you have to clean other people's mess up. I'm used to cleaning up piss, poop and vomit from my pets, but vomit from people is even worse, especially when it's because of alcohol. You're stupid if you get so drunk you end up sick.

And seriously, rape? That's a crime; I don't even get why you mention it.

Hey Chris. :)

But then what about going to the pub by yourself, or watching tv or a footie game at home with some mates. Just because you stay in doesn't mean you're always going to be alone.

As I live in a small village and I'm still at school its hard for me to meet up with friends on week nights. I tend to go out on either Friday or Saturday night and drink. I usually have either a bottle of wine or a half bottle of vodka mixed with 2 500ml bottles of coke.

Is it a sign of getting old that I really dissapprove of people under the age of 16 drinking, or even 18 for that matter, despite the fact I did so when I was? I feel like it's hypocritical to think they shouldn't, but I also feel like I did so why shouldn't they as long as they aren't causing trouble? I'd say it's another matter, but I think underage drinking tends to be much more of a binge drinking sort of thing anyway, as I know when I was younger we'd be splitting bottles of straight spirit, usually just because you can't afford much as a kid on pocket money.

Underage drinking has grown since I did it too methinks, every friday and saturday all you see is chavvy kids hanging around outside off licenses round my way, friday and saturdays is probably the shittest time to go our round here. In fact, there was a Lloyds(wetherspoons) up the road from me, that was kind of like a bar with a dancefloor than a pub, but they recently changed because there is so much trouble with all the drunk people around here on weekends.

That's what I was gonna say Mr Platty.

Eenuh, when I say I get drunk I pretty much mean what you just described! Sometimes it goes further but not all that often.

go out drinking about once a month (more into smoking the ganja) and when i do go out i usually spend about £40-50, thats including taxis, entrance to wherever i go and the kebab house afterwards :)

I get drunk... Most nights. Usually I buy a small crate of cider, typically Old English due to the cheapness (£5 for 8 440ml cans). When I started uni, three cans would get me nicely tipsy, then it was up to 6 cans for the same effect. Last night I drank 9 and felt in control. Usually I can tell that I'm reaching the end of my sesh because my tongue starts feeling swollen, and I can't talk as efficiently as I want to!

A lot of the time I'm the only one getting drunk, most of the time a couple of the others will drink as well. We sit, talk, play games, watch movies, usual stuff. I don't always think that alcohol is NEEDED for fun, but I like the looseness that I get.

I don't like it when I'm drinking and someone says to me "you're drunk!" ... well yeah, that's kinda the point... I don't get drunk as an excuse to be a tit to society mostly because I avoid actually going out BECAUSE people are tits when they're drunk in clubs and bars and stuff.

As for underage drinking.. personally I'm glad I started drinking when I did, which was pretty much 14. If I had started drinking aged 18, I wouldn't know my limits, I wouldn't have those 4 years worth of experience of what I'm like when I'm drunk, what other people are like, where's nice to drink, where's not, what I like to drink, what gives me a worse hangover... et cetera, et cetera.

Of course, I'm talking about myself and my friends who were, on the whole, not out to cause trouble or wreck park climbing frames, and so on.

Sign in to follow this