N-Europe

That's it, latest screenshots of The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, are they kidding?

Social

Ok. I have always accepted that developers did not have enough time to put some polish on the graphics during the launch period. Hell games like Rayman Raving Rabbids even looked nice enough for me not to worry about them graphicly. But coming out with something months after launch with something that is going to look like an N64 title is one step too far.

I visited IGN today to look at some new screenshots and saw some Godfather screens posted.I could not believe my eyes. This looks like an upscaled N64 game. It truly does.

How the hell can we go from a last generation gamecube game that looks like this:

re41.jpg

To something that looks like this:

wtffi4.jpg

1. Hey, let's use super low res blurry textures to increase the fun!

2. It's a shame our modeler went on a vacation cause all he left us were mega crappy low polygon models, oh well, let's use them anyway and fire him afterwards!

3. Hey, I got an idea to increase framerate with 40%, let's not use any lighting in the game, just fullbright, that will make out crappy models and textures even better!

4. Let's use the basic wall texture that came with our Quake 2 engine for this level. Don't forget to turn on fullbright and turn off shaders for that awesome oldskool N64 look!

5. WOW, we actually managed to use a 3D background instead of a 2D one, but the texture artist must have used his webcam when he created this texture!

my eyes are still bleeding as I type this :(. Some developers don't deserve to have a Wii dev kit!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok you could have picked a better resi evil screenshot.

but yes it is a joke. but i dont blame ea.i blame nintendo. If nintendo pushed the hardware third parties would be forced to to compete. zelda certainly isn't and wii sports,wario ware and wii play? BAH!

but I loved the Wario Ware stye and easy graphics. That game makes sense with the graphics it has. And Wii play was just a tech demo compilation I guess. We got it at launch in europe so it was probably rushed :)

Don't forget Wing Island, so backwards visual wise that it's verging on Super Nintendo! Ok, not quite but not far off.

Very very disappointed. I can think of only a few games that have been acceptable or more visually on the Wii:

Excite Truck, erm, and that's it really.

Zelda is GC visuals

Monkey Ball and Wii Sports are lovely from a visual point of view but they could have also been done on the GC.

Mario looks nice but apart from that, the Wii has shockingly underperformed so far from a visual point of view.

Well Nintendo has kinda proved that customers dont really care about graphics. At least not those who buy the Wii.

They care to some extent. Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wario Ware and quite a few other Wii title look nice. This, on the other hand, is just plain fugly.

Guest Stefkov

The face in number 4 convinced me this was a lod of crap.

I cant accept that companies are trying to make us buy games that look like this.

PS2 port or not, they could at least spend a bit more time trying to use a bit more effort and add a bit more uniqueness.

Should we start worrying about Manhunt 2. It shocks me how many PS2 games the Wii is getting, if this really is gamecube 1.5 technology then why have the same graphics as a console inferior to the Gamecube? I know Wii isn't about the graphics but there has to be some standards, you wouldn't do an ugly girl just because she gives a fun experience.

Rogue Squadron, the Gamecube launch game, looks better than any of the crap so far on the Wii! Its just developers being chuffing lazy...You would think they were thrying to make a bad game from whats been released so far!

Um, yeah. The screenshots look really shitty huh, dont they?

The Godfather never impressed visually, but I've seen better ones. Btw, you really need to look up the PS3 versions as well, cos that doesnt look much better than what we have.

To put it simply, it's just a PS2/XBOX game coverted to Wii and PS3 (360 also had a version, I believe?). I dont think we should expect the developer to rebuild the whole game from scratch, just updating some textures and maybe some models, adding some better lighting perhaps. But that's basically it.

The Wii is capable of a lot. It just remains to be seen who will be the first to churn out its juices the quickest. Remember, RE4 and Zelda TP (GC) has been in development for years to look that good (and BE that good).

Hellfire I get the feeling that when a visually IMPRESSIVE game finally gets released on the Wii, the amount of graphics threads should die down.

There already games that look good like Sonic and Excite Truck released and games that look awesome like MP3, Mario Galaxy and Brawl that will be released, do you want more proof that the Wii is capable.

So everytime a screenshot of a PS2 port or a game made by lazy and/or untallented devs comes out, we make threads and whine about it, even though we've already been there and done that? I think it's enough, we know devs are being crappy, just make quick sentence about the graphics and move on to what matter: the game itself. Will it play well, will the wii controls add anything new, is it fun? But, hey, what the heck, let's keep complaining that an almost straight PS2 PORT has bad graphics. Carry on.

It's funny when people say "could be done on Gamecube" because well...yeah...every single Wii game that ever comes out in the Wii's lifetime could graphically be done very closely on Gamecube pretty much. The extra power isn't enough for monumental upgrades, so any Wii game that comes out even if impressive could probably be done on Gamecube only cutting down on minimal things.

Anyone who really is still utterly disappointed with the visuals of Wii games, despite knowing in advance it's only roughly one and a half times better than the Gamecube, should probably just sell their system now if it's that big a deal.

There already games that look good like Sonic and Excite Truck released and games that look awesome like MP3, Mario Galaxy and Brawl that will be released, do you want more proof that the Wii is capable.

So everytime a screenshot of a PS2 port or a game made by lazy and/or untallented devs comes out, we make threads and whine about it, even though we've already been there and done that? I think it's enough, we know devs are being crappy, just make quick sentence about the graphics and move on to what matter: the game itself. Will it play well, will the wii controls add anything new, is it fun? But, hey, what the heck, let's keep complaining that an almost straight PS2 PORT has bad graphics. Carry on.

Graphics do matter. Zelda is a nice looking game, and so it doesn't bother me there, this, however looks like crap.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!