NEurope
scubahood

Over use of the word chav

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/

They're just fucking scum. Surely you can see that?

I agree that actualy "chavs" are scum but you are showing a narrow minded view that the majority of people that wear sports clothers are "chavs". Thats as narrow minded as me saying that the majority of muslims are suicide bombers.

Chav: Council House And Violent.

If someone wants to resemble like they're one of those people and think that the whole concept is cool then they deserve to be called a chav.

I know I use the term chav quite casualy but thats what happens these days, teenagers are being labelled into different groups.

There's emos, chavs, gangstas, losers and geeks.

I got called a loser once when some guys came over to me and my friends once asking for cigarettes and we didn't have any.

Obviously this was a guy that resembled the chav stereotype so I'm not gonna agree with scubahood's point because these people we're discussing will also label you based on nothing, why should we treat them differently.

What about indie kids? Also I'm assuming by emo you mean emo scene kids who think there all cool and emo by listening to bands that aren't particularly emo?

Chavs are the people that call me a frikkin "mosher". Trackies, banging rap from their mobiles, now often with those stupid fucking goggle'd hoodies or a pitbull..

I wear quite a lot of Nike & Adidas stuff but i mostly hate rap, and im definetly not a chav. Not everything i wear is sportwear obviously, usually jeans and a shirt, i never wear burbery(sp?) caps or grey hoodies or bling etc.

You're definetly right by saying that it is really bad to pre-judge someone just by their clothes, its not as bad as racism but its still stupid.

The sooner people realise that these classes are stupid the better. When I 15I was into the whole "grunger" thing. Was into that before it became big then grew out of it when I was like 17 looking back now we acted like and looked like *****. Give it a few years and then those of you that are still young or into looking how your music says you must look will see my point

What about indie kids? Also I'm assuming by emo you mean emo scene kids who think there all cool and emo by listening to bands that aren't particularly emo?

Never heard of indie kids at my school.

Emo is the label for kids that listen to rock and wear ripped/overly-long jeans when they're not in school.

All the groups I've listed are labels created by 'groups' in my school just to stereotype other 'groups' differences, these aren't titles that kids put on themselves.

If you listen to Panic, MCR, SOAD or just rock that other people don't get you're an emo.

If you talk about WoW to your other WoW buddies in German you're a geek.

And if you're black you're gangsta, I know that's racist but seriously nearly all the black students in my school fit into that group, but most of them are nice guys.

So you get the picture, no one titles themselves it's just what your difference to other people is labelled as.

Although there are a few self-proclaimed emos at my school...

So you get the picture, no one titles themselves it's just what your difference to other people is labelled as.

Well if they would just act 'normal', they wouldn''t get labelled at all.

Well if they would just act 'normal', they wouldn''t get labelled at all.

So they can't listen to the music they want to listen to, then? What is normal, anyway?

So they can't listen to the music they want to listen to, then? What is normal, anyway?

Bingo. Are we going to start persecuting people just because they dress or act a certain way that does not conform to a single, specific idea deemed acceptable by society?

Bingo. Are we going to start persecuting people just because they dress or act a certain way that does not conform to a single, specific idea deemed acceptable by society?

Yes, that's the game! We've been doing it for centuries, mainly because it's great fun.

I dont class a chav as someone who wears sports clothes. I class a chav as somebody who hangs around in big gangs smoking, drinking and generally causing trouble.

I hate the whole class system. It is so bad in my school. There's goth, punk, emo, scene kid, rocker, greb/grebo, chav, gangster... It's so pathetic. I mean if you listen to rock music why do you need to dress in all black and wear lots of metal etc. One of my friends likes rock but doesn't dress like that and somebody who did dress like that said that he couldn't like rock that music 'cos he didn't dress that way. It's completely retarded.

no one is normal - people who where classified as "normal" are in such a minority now are now "abnormal"...lol

This is so true.

I believe you have just hit the nail on the head.

I remember when I was a young lad, and in fact to some extent still today, I never really thought I had an identity as such. I did have one, I was me, I didn't think I was any of these labels though, and it was really annoying because whenever I met people the first thing they'd ask is 'so you a grunger then? or a skater or what?' and I just felt a bit 'nerrr', I feel it was stupid to have to be a label sort of thing, and it made ME feel awkward because I never knew what to say.

As for the word chav, yeah it's quite used now, back in the day it wasn't so much, but with the dawn of the internet and it being adopted by the media it has spread about a bit. I remember there was certain type of person, and people would call them rudeboys, then people started calling them pikeys, then people started calling them chavs, and for me chavs are the sort of people who we originally referenced, but I guess a bit of the burberry and gold hoop earings with the soverign rings has gotten mixed into there too now.

When I use the word chav, I use it more to describe someone with that sort of attitude, like the kids wandering round with their caps and hoodies looking shift and causing trouble for no reason, I think it has become quite interlinked with hoodie culture round here, but then I can see how it's also become a class thing too. I'm kind of confused, I guess I'd never really pondered it before.

Yeah i've noticed these 'indie' kids too. They seem to come into Tesco (where i work, please don't hate me) with their scarves (even when its hot) tight jeans, shaggy hair, smart suit jackets that make them look like english teachers and they grab the latest copy of NME and smugly wait in the queue.

They're not offensive or anything though, i'm just describing them, as there are a few about.

We call chavs either 'neds' or 'bams' in Scotland.

I don't really think either of those words are over-used, most of time they're used the person is actually a ned.

I've only head the word 'chav' a few times other than on the internet.

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk

Meh... Rap shouldn't be labeled under "Chav", they listen to MC. Proper American Rap is what I listen to, and I'm no way near a chav.

I hate chavs.

But I agree that the word is now used in totally the wrong context these days especially after that woman done that program on "chavs" and just got the wrong end of the stick about the meaning of the word.

Ah well.

I agree that actualy "chavs" are scum but you are showing a narrow minded view that the majority of people that wear sports clothers are "chavs". Thats as narrow minded as me saying that the majority of muslims are suicide bombers.

Now I'm gonna be backing up Fields*???:wtf:....The majority of people that do wear sports clothes are chavs, obviously I'm talking scummy 'sport' stuff here; if not they're usually sport wankers that get recognised for anything & everything...you know the ones I mean.

*Not that I dislike him, but it's just the sword 'clash'..I actually like him cos he's not a pussy and doesn't want the UK to be overun by scum and such.

People we call chavs have been around for years. Before they became chavs they were known as "hooligans" "yobs" and "kevs".

My brother told me chav stands for "Cheltenham Average", and that "chav" has been widely spread and misused.

I've been called an emo once, for the shirt I was wearing, a black blink-182 shirt. Blink-182 cannot be emo.

Normal is what everyone else is and you are not.