N-Europe

graphics chips

stuwii

wii sd card graphics enhancements  

38 members have voted

1. 1. wii sd card graphics enhancements

• yes
    • no

Historically, xpansions never work. Look at all the crap sega produced for the mega drive and the N64 one never caught on neither. Best bet is for a new console. Dont think the wii will have a long life 4-5 years. SO will get a HD fangled console later.

The gamecube had proper expansion ports as nintendo planned future addons from the starts. eg. gameboy player, broadband ... and even origianlly wiimotes were planned for the gamecube

but when M$ takes over nintendo, i expect the wii to plug into the x360 for mutual benefits

Maximum they could do, if the SD slot has enough bandwidth to make it feasible... is something among the lines of what Windows Vista did with ReadyBoost:

The ReadyBoost feature is only found in Windows Vista and allows you to use a USB key as virtual memory in order to enhance performance. Basically Windows ReadyBoost can improve small random I/O for people who lack the expansion slots, money, and or technical expertise to add additional RAM. Since many computers around the world have less than 512MB of memory this might be a cheap and easy upgrade for those looking to boost system performance.
Source: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/455/1/

That said it won't happen, unless this feature becomes common in linux distros and is implemented in Wii Linux.

Wii doesn't need a new graphics card though, what some developers need is to learn how to use this one, it's not as underpowered as most people seem to think, I'm satisfied with the horsepower.

Wii has Linux?

Wii apparently runs on a heavily modified form of Linux.

It technically could be used to gain a similar effect as the expansion pak (i.e. more memory) for the N64, depends on the speed of the card reader (from loading a load of pictures, it seems very fast)

Maximum they could do, if the SD slot has enough bandwidth to make it feasible... is something among the lines of what Windows Vista did with ReadyBoost:

Source: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/455/1/

That said it won't happen, unless this feature becomes common in linux distros and is implemented in Wii Linux.

Wii doesn't need a new graphics card though, what some developers need is to learn how to use this one, it's not as underpowered as most people seem to think, I'm satisfied with the horsepower.

Thats just another form of Virtual memory. Computers already use your hard disc for the same thing. It would not have the performance to make any difference to games but might cut loading time.

Wii has Linux?
I was reffering to a Wii linux distro, just like there is a GC Linux distro; but some believe Wii is unix based, that is certainly possible... but even if it is... I just don't see Nintendo implementing that feature.
Thats just another form of Virtual memory. Computers already use your hard disc for the same thing. It would not have the performance to make any difference to games but might cut loading time.
Yes it's a virtual memory extension mode, but still... it's the only thing feasible to do with a SD drive when it comes to performance enhancements, and a USB 2.0 hard drive would be so much better at that. (still hoping Nintendo eventually releases a slick one).

there's people forcing ReadyBoost in a lot of devices, even Hard drives:

-> http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=268461

It would be interesting to be able to use a HD in games, but Wii doesn't have many limitations when it comes to loading times; so a HD is more interesting to store data, updates and files, IMO.

I still reckon they'll release a big update to the Wii in a couple of years. Like a Wii 2.0 with better graphics and other things. But every game that is released from then must have a downscale option so it can still be used on the old wii. Kinda like how PC games have about a million different graphics settings to support various systems. Except the only setting on the Wii would be wii original or wii 2.0.

The wii is NOT linux based. If it were nintendo would be legally bound to release the source code to the operating system and simply invite piracy onto the wii.
Linux is very unlikely since it's open source, a type of unix... might be, like openbsd.

The advantages would be easy porting of software and features, but not having to give the source.

Linux is very unlikely since it's open source, a type of unix... might be, like openbsd.

The advantages would be easy porting of software and features, but not having to give the source.

Perhaps. However it's a moot point unless we get source code out of it. Nintendo would have the source regardless of the OS on the wii so we will only be seeing features they show us.