Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The FBT: Favourite Book Thread

Daft

1984, Love Hina, An Actor Prepares, any of Benjamin Zephaniah's poetry books, Maus, Ruined City, Heart of Darkness, Letters from America, The Redwall series and I'm currently in the middle of Buddha by Osamu Tezuka, which is a truly first class manga. It makes for genuinly religous, enlightening reading.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever read The curious incident of the dog in the night time? If not, you're missing out.

i read that, was very good!

I was gonna say Holes, but then i thought everyone would say 'bah overrated'. It seems occasionally that people say things are overated if it recieved good press, which is wrong.

with episodes, they give you everything... in specific detail.)

Only like Friends and everyman programmes like that. The better ones leave things ambigious, let you decide what may or may not have happened. The last ever episode of Angel springs to mind.

Only like Friends and everyman programmes like that. The better ones leave things ambigious, let you decide what may or may not have happened. The last ever episode of Angel springs to mind.

Whether or not TV is a better medium than books (or just different), don't you find it annoying to be drip fed episode by episode? I would be so irritated if you could only get one chapter of a book per week.

Whether or not TV is a better medium than books (or just different)

Not what I was going for, I think you understand that but just wanted it to be clear

don't you find it annoying to be drip fed episode by episode? I would be so irritated if you could only get one chapter of a book per week.

Yeah at times, but then I watch so much TV the only one that pains me, as so to speak, is Veronica Mars. Tomorrow :D But then theres the pleasure of knowing a lot of people are in the same boat, and all share the same experience. Finales are fun because you know everyone will watch it in the same timeframe. Whereas when a book like Harry Potter comes out its a mess for at least a month while everyone reads it.

Are you serious? I have to read that book for English. I'm currently on about chapter 23/24. It's the worst book I've ever had the misfortune to read. Its page after page of mindless, depressing drivel.

No wonder it made people kill people. They probably did it just to forget about that book.

You're a goddamned heathen, obviously.

Honourable mentions go to:

Of Mice and Men- the only book I had to stop reading in public because I was honestly pages away from bursting into tears. Achingly beautiful portrayal of friendship.

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving: This is a weird novel- it tells the story of a growth retarded boy with a voice box locked in a permanent scream. He becomes convinced he is the hand of God after the only good hit he ever lands on a baseball kills his best friends mother, and the novel charts his bizzare course in life as he is guided by dark prophetic visions of his own death. Utterly compelling weirdness.

Wuthering Heights by Anne Bronte. The original dark gothic love story. It's vast, it's brilliant, it's pitch fuckin black and utterly incredible.

Portnoirs complaint by Phillip Roth. Basically a 300 page Jewish Joke, it's the life story of a sex crazed Jew from Newark, New Jersey, and his massive innability to move on from his bizarre family. Goddamn hilarious start to finish.]

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. In my opinion, the funniest novel of the 20th Century. A brilliant, scathing black satire on the absurdity of war and the insanity of conflict. It's up there with Dr Strangelove and `Saving Private Ryan at the same time.

Its really annoying! I've started reading Ghostwritten, so far so awesome, and I've finished the first chapter but I just can find the time to be in the mood to read it...if that makes sense! I would read it before I go to bed but I'm probably gonna watch House...oh well...

I haven't got a favourite book, and I haven't really got a favourite game or favourite film either. There's always a handful that I hold close to my heart.

The last book I read was The Subtle Knife, and I really couldn't put it down. It's one of these books that you just want to go on and on forever. I can't wait to read The Amber Spyglass. Just gotta find the right time. The right time will be...when I go out tomorrow to buy a bulb for my lamp, so I can read it in bed. Hehe, that's the right time.

I also loved 1984, and Northern Lights. I'll probably read both again, and rightfully so, as they're both amazing books. Both beautifully written.

Angel? lol... ok.

Try and watch any episode of Six Feet Under. That's intepretitive. Same goes for Lynch and Takashi's movies... And yet, books will always be more subjective.

Now if you're speaking of Angel... I'll stop arguing. Anyone who watches that series and takes it seriously is beyond reach.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!