N-Europe

what would you do if....

ultrajamie

Head up to Shetland, nothing ever reaches there. :heh:

Then I'd sit back with a nice cold beer and wait for all this to blow over.

I think you'll find Shetland was the first place in Britain to be bombed during WW2 and:

World War II

During World War II a Norwegian naval unit nicknamed the Shetland Gang or the Shetland bus was established by the Special Operations Executive Norwegian Section in the fall of 1940 with a base in Scalloway in order to conduct operations on the coast of Norway. About 30 fishing vessels used by Norwegian refugees to cross the sea were gathered in Shetland. Many of these vessels were rented, and Norwegian fishermen were recruited as volunteers to operate them.

The Shetland Gang sailed in covert operations between Norway and Shetland, carrying men from Company Linge, intelligence agents, refugees, instructors for the resistance, and military supplies. Many people on the run from the Germans, and much important information on German activity in Norway, was brought back to the Allies this way. Mines were in some instances laid, and direct actions against German ships were also taken. At the start the unit was under a British command, but later on Norwegians joined in the command.

The fishing vessels made 80 trips across the sea. German attacks and bad weather caused the loss of 10 boats, 44 crewmen, and 60 refugees. Because of the high losses it was decided to procure faster vessels. The Americans gave the unit the use of three submarine chasers (HNoMS Hessa, HNoMS Hitra and HNoMS Vigra). None of the trips with these vessels caused any loss of life or equipment.[8]

All in all the Shetland Gang made over 200 trips across the sea and the most famous of the men, Leif Andreas Larsen (Shetlands-Larsen) made 52 of them.[9].

A lot of crap went on during WW2, many thought the German may of invaded Britain through Shetland so it was busy.

I would not do anything, and go with the flow - see how things turn out.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll find Shetland was the first place in Britain to be bombed during WW2 and:

A lot of crap went on during WW2, many thought the German may of invaded Britain through Shetland so it was busy.

I would not do anything, and go with the flow - see how things turn out.

Yeah, I think my mums side of the family was involved in some of that. They were the Neven-Spence's that lived on Uyea. But there is a lot we don't really know about my mum's side of the family, like I'm sure there is no certainty on who my grandad was which is kind of sad. ::shrug: I know my mum spent ages doing research trying to find out but I don't think any conclusions were made. Maybe I'll ask.

World War 3 can only possibly be between either China or North Korea and the US, which in both cases will mean that Europe will stay neutral.

Basically I'll keep my fingers crossed that their nukes won't accidently fly into my living room.

World War 3 can only possibly be between either China or North Korea and the US, which in both cases will mean that Europe will stay neutral.

Basically I'll keep my fingers crossed that their nukes won't accidently fly into my living room.

Europe minus the UK, although in a few years time Scotland most likely wont be part of the UK if SNP win the Scottish Elections in May...

This is a world war we're talking about, and you people are saying "hide here" or "run there" or "nothing". They'd probably reinstate the draft and you'd be going through basic survival training for the next few months.

And I don't think WWIII would be a nuclear war. Most people are aware that a nuclear war would just mean insanely high casualties on both sides, possibly Armageddon, and what kind of world power is aiming for that?

Anyways, hopefully by the time WWIII comes around, we'll all be piloting Arm Slaves.

Neutral? I should hope we'd join with the USA and fight those fucking communist bastards to the death! And I for one would join my local regiment without hesitation. :mad:

This is a world war we're talking about, and you people are saying "hide here" or "run there" or "nothing". They'd probably reinstate the draft and you'd be going through basic survival training for the next few months.

And I don't think WWIII would be a nuclear war. Most people are aware that a nuclear war would just mean insanely high casualties on both sides, possibly Armageddon, and what kind of world power is aiming for that?

Anyways, hopefully by the time WWIII comes around, we'll all be piloting Arm Slaves.

All these countries have Nukes for a reason though, if WW3 gets bad, then it will most likely happen.

I can see WW3 happening in the next 10 years anyway. What about you guys?

All these countries have Nukes for a reason though, if WW3 gets bad, then it will most likely happen.

It wouldnt be a world war, just The World vs North Korea. Or Antartica, grab their goods before they melt.

dig an underground tunnel in a place that is not likely to be bombed make sure i have electricity make it like a bomb shelter, bring all my stuff down their hire somebody to bring me food and live for the duration of the war.

i'll buy all my games from the internet wich i will make sure i have a connection to

Nuclear missiles are more of a detterent than anything else, Country A (not naming any names here.... North Korea!) knows that if they nuke Country B, Country B will automatically strike back harder. Even if they immobilise B's nukes Country C will retalliate for B, which means Country D will retalliate against C.

It will be hard for there to be another World War because of NATO, the EU and the UN...

Nuclear missiles are more of a detterent than anything else, Country A (not naming any names here.... North Korea!) knows that if they nuke Country B, Country B will automatically strike back harder. Even if they immobilise B's nukes Country C will retalliate for B, which means Country D will retalliate against C.

It will be hard for there to be another World War because of NATO, the EU and the UN...

When i think about that you are probably right actually..

Fields, you have serious problems.

The US foreign policy is so completely fucked up. Bush is by far the most right winged president ever.

That monkey should have never had a second term...

Fields, you have serious problems.

The US foreign policy is so completely fucked up. Bush is by far the most right winged president ever.

That monkey should have never had a second term...

He should never have had a first time, Gore should've won it. Florida really cocked up in that election. Miscounted multiple times, restricted people from voting because they had the same name as criminals, not all votes were counted.....

He should never have had a first time, Gore should've won it. Florida really cocked up in that election. Miscounted multiple times, restricted people from voting because they had the same name as criminals, not all votes were counted.....
Not to mention daddy had alot of connections... he was bound to win. Give enough people money and they'll give in.

It was neither a cock up nor a bribary :heh: you do realise who the governer of Florida was right?