Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

His Dark Materials... the movies

Oxigen_Waste

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids film?! Haven't got a problem with kids reading it, but it cannot be described as a kids film or book. Is Lord of the Rings a kids book/film?

HDM is undeniably aimed at teenagers, but that doesn't make it worse.

The problem with this family film thing is that the film won't be dark enough... the actual books were pretty dark in parts, and that probably won't be reflected in the films.

No, it's an insult to kids to call it a kids book. It's crap, thats what it is.

I too find Lord of the Rings very boring... *awaits flaming*

HDM is undeniably aimed at teenagers, but that doesn't make it worse.

Yeah, but I see a book aimed at teenagers quite different to a book aimed at "kids." I mean, the whole series is sorta about Lyra growing up, and she does grow up quite considerably during the books. Maybe an underlying theme of coming of age? That's something that's more associated in books aimed at teenagers/young adults, and not kids.

Yeah, but I see a book aimed at teenagers quite different to a book aimed at "kids." I mean, the whole series is sorta about Lyra growing up, and she does grow up quite considerably during the books. Maybe an underlying theme of coming of age? That's something that's more associated in books aimed at teenagers/young adults, and not kids.

Yes, it is to some degree a bildungsroman series, for both Lyra and Will. But that doesn't mean it's aimed at any group in particular. However, in this case, I think the publishers specify that it is for "young adults". Nevertheless, the vast majority of "young adults" would find it boring and/or not understand it.

Yes, it is to some degree a bildungsroman series, for both Lyra and Will. But that doesn't mean it's aimed at any group in particular. However, in this case, I think the publishers specify that it is for "young adults". Nevertheless, the vast majority of "young adults" would find it boring and/or not understand it.

In a way, I think I'm glad that I read these books later on. I don't really think I would have enjoyed them as much when I was 13 or 15.

In a way, I think I'm glad that I read these books later on. I don't really think I would have enjoyed them as much when I was 13 or 15.

No, some my friends read the first couple at about 10... they can't have got as much out of them. Actually, I think I may have read them at 12 though...

I have to say even though the book always described Mrs Coulter as having longer black hair, I always imagined her as a blonde. She also didn't look anything like Nicole Kidman, her hair was longer, much longer and not tied back. But hey, not everything can be like my imagination, right? :-P

I can't wait to see a picture of Pantalaimon, anyone know who will be voicing the daemons?

No, some my friends read the first couple at about 10... they can't have got as much out of them. Actually, I think I may have read them at 12 though...

Whoa, that's quite a young age for a book like this, imo. I don't mean in terms of reading age, but like you said, getting as much as you can out of the books.

Hmm, I wanna see what the daemons look like!

no flames from me. Tolkien was a bit shit.

Hooray!

Anyway, even though the book may have been aimed at teenagers, they're still seriously more relevant than the majority of jaded, pointless "adult" books. They can be enjoyed by people of any age; my English teacher also loves them, they wouldn't have sold as well as they did had they been aimed at adults. As a matter of fact, the majority of great contemporary literature I've come acruss has been aimed at children.

• 4 months later...

I dunno if anyone's mentioned this anywhere already, but there's a site and a trailer courtesy of my friend who just told me about it.

One thing which is really fucking annoying me? The fact the site and trailer refer to The Golden Compass. SCREW YOU AMERICANS AND YOUR APPARENT STUPIDITY!

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/

It appears Nicole Kidman is staying blond, whereas I'm sure Mrs Coulter had a sort of goldish brown colour to her hair, more on the darker side. Same friend said he was thinking more along the lines of Catherina Ztea-Jones, to which I said 'oo'.

Just seen the trailer. Not bad.

Pantalaimon is voiced by Adam Godley, whoever he is. I don't know any of the other voices.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0324134/

Look. At the Size. Of those tabs.

His voice best be up to scratch.

No, it's an insult to kids to call it a kids book. It's crap, thats what it is.

Fucking right doggie. The kids wouldn't have lasted no where near as long as I did attempting to read it. They'd be in comas after the first chapter.

I have read HDM books, Wind Singer books and Eragon. All absolutely awesome books! Right up there with my favourites, although I have to say a recent book I read 'the righteous men' may have overtaken them all.

I'm not so sure about these movies.. I felt the way Pullman was so fecking great at the story they can't show that emotion in the film.. the whole lovey dovey stuff was brilliant, coming from a dude who isn't a fan of lovey dovey books and movies. I'm hoping for the best, but if its like Eragon I won't be happy. To me they ruined Eragon. Books still awesome :)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!