Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Red Steel Thread

Hero-of-Time

I've really enjoyed Red Steel, possibly the most fun I've had on an FPS since Perfect Dark despite all the bugs and control issues. If Ubisoft can work out the numerous kinks for the sequel and bring all the graphics to the same level (some stages look gorgeous) I will be very happy.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, the game's pretty good and if the controls are THAT unresponsive McMad you're doing it wrong, in fact, I'm gonna go play it now.

Silly me, I didn't realise I am a complete retard and am completely unable to play this game correctly.

How dare I not realise that everyone else knows better than me, All I was doing was swinging the controller left, right, left and then both of them down but nope the game never thought I had actually done it.

Ima gona get me 1 of them there 360s den cuz this wand thing jus makes no gosh darn sense.

Of course everybody can and should have his/her own opinion. I guess the responses thus far comes from those that didn't like the game at first, like you, but after giving it a little bit more time, they didn't just start to like. They loved it!

We're perhaps trying a little bit too hard to convince people that Red Steel isn't as bad as some reviewers made it sound like. Sure, it didn't quite live up to the hype it created for itself, but still a decent and very enjoyable game.

That said, we should all respect each other's opinions and preferences. It would be a boring world if we were all alike, right?

Well I've just recently got this game after trading in Monkey Ball and I really am enjoying it! I'm not finding any problems with the controls apart from the sword mechanics... I really don't look forward to the sword-fighting!

...I find it much more fun than Monkey Ball, I was emxtremely disappointed with that, the GC Monkey Ball's are far better!

But you guys seem to have a problem with me not liking the game.

Why can't you just let me not like because of the way it is?

I can see why it's either a love or hate game! and understand your views entirely.

When i first played it...well into the first 1 hour, i couldn't actually control it..at all.

Also, for me it is still very difficult to control and do some parts. Don't even get me started on the slow-mo, aiming thing. I haven't successfully done that yet (only when you first learnt it). Also, like i said before...i've only just realised how to get the down-swipe move working.

I've noticed as well...that the game likes me standing up and being about a metre and a half away from the TV, otherwise it doesn't respond as good. This is pretty annoying i must admit.

However in Zelda, i can sit down on my couch and aim perfectly well with wii-remote and it works a treat.

Overall though (for me), it has 'something' which makes you want to play it and is really fun (when it all works well). Surprisingly really enjoyable, even if it could have done with another spit and polish in a few departments.

IMJ, good post. :wink:

:hehe:

I loved the Matrix Pillars in it, and the way you can "avoid" the very first gunfight in the level. It's the level I use to show the game off, sword fight, a few large gunfights, a good level to "show off" the main aspects of the game.

yeah thats a good summary. one thing I was worried about was the lack of a contemporary FPS with epic showpieces,(something to match the likes of resistance, and ok a third person but GOW) but whilst still small in scale rooms such as the pillar room give this kind of epic gunfight sense. It bodes well for the sequel to Red Steel to build upon amongest other things this....

I was worried after completing Zelda that I would have nothing to do on my Wii for a decent single player but this will keep me occupied for awhile at least....

Borrowed this from a friend today and have so far done the first two missions - and I have to say I was pleasently surprised. The controls were much better than I was expecting after when I briefly played multiplayer and the difficulty so far seems to be just right. Looking forward to advancing the story :)

I completed this a couple of weeks ago, didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would though.

One of the things that annoyed me the most while playing this game is that you can't skip the bloody cutscenes, drove me mad every time I had to re-start / load a level. I wouldn't of minded so much if they were really good, but the cutscenes in Red Steel are absolute shite!

And to add insult to injury, I've now discovered that if you want to re-play any of the missions again you have to watch the cutscenes again too! ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!! :shakehead

That alone has killed any re-play value in single player mode for me right there.

I completed this a couple of weeks ago, didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would though.

One of the things that annoyed me the most while playing this game is that you can't skip the bloody cutscenes, drove me mad every time I had to re-start / load a level. I wouldn't of minded so much if they were really good, but the cutscenes in Red Steel are absolute shite!

And to add insult to injury, I've now discovered that if you want to re-play any of the missions again you have to watch the cutscenes again too! ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!! :shakehead

That alone has killed any re-play value in single player mode for me right there.

yep not even completed it yet, but already found that annoying that if I havn't completed a mission out right then exit and come back to it have to watch all that crap again!!!!

by the way redshell am loving your new signature!!!!

yep not even completed it yet, but already found that annoying that if I havn't completed a mission out right then exit and come back to it have to watch all that crap again!!!!
Yeah let's hope Ubisoft sort that out if they make a sequel, no game should force you to watch the cut scenes more than once.

by the way redshell am loving your new signature!!!!
Cheers, thought I'd go for a more old-school look this time. :grin:

Just played the multiplayer and thought it was really good if a bit rushed. Only now i've realized that the game engine is nearly an exact replica of XIII.

I liked XIII but now thinking about it, it seems a bit lazy on Ubisofts part to just update a game slightly and give it a different name.

If red steel was a normal controller game I would have thought it was piss. The control scheme is what jumps it up. Now all we've got to do is wait for a shooter that would have been immense on standard controller and essential on Wii.

But you guys seem to have a problem with me not liking the game.
Personally, I think it's just the way it comes across. Disliking it is different from faulting it. One is an opinion, the other is technical.

As I remarked before this whole thing reminds me of when PC games first brought in keyboard + mouse controls for FPS. It was criticized to high heaven by many back then. Now it's a part of "common sense" in PC gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying playing Red Steel, though I've not felt incredibly motivated to play it - maybe playing it twice a week for a few hours at a time.

I had got quite far into the game I think, I only needed to do one more mission for those boss people. Unfortunately my game data seems to have been erased, I'm suddenly back on the geisha mission which I did first :wtf: is there a way to get back the data I lost? I don't really want to have to play it through again.

Be careful not to select the same mission twice. It's a bit awkward how they made it so that you can accidentally accept to replay missions essentially without knowing.

If you approach someone and they're all "Good job Scott!", you've likely already done that mission. Don't approach them again and "accept", they'll send you on the same mission again. :(

And no, there's no way to actually abort a mission either, so you really do need to go through it again. :( x2

well very pissed off with Red Steel today...

Playing on the Geisha level, where you have to find the two groups, and got to a room with a big circle stage in it which has some blinds at the back of it leading into another room, cleared the room of all the enemies only to find nothing to do, tried jumping up on the stage, jumping up on it and walking around on the side kinda, couldn't do it. so ended up killing myself with a grenade and starting the room again, this time cleared the room and a woman with a sword appeared in the room part of the side of the stage opened to allow me up. this ever happened to anyone else? must be a glitch....

then about 10 mins after that the game froze and made a dull buzzing noise GRRRRR didn't have the heart to go back and play the level again was that annoyed.

shame cos getting into as it gets better the further you get just annoying that this is 3rd/4th time it has crashed on me.

then about 10 mins after that the game froze and made a dull buzzing noise GRRRRR didn't have the heart to go back and play the level again was that annoyed.

I think you don't have to do the whole level again. Whenever you see that loading screen with the hints it saves the game permanently. I think it did that before you entered the house where the first group of Geishas was held as well. So you shouldn't have to do too much again.

I think you don't have to do the whole level again. Whenever you see that loading screen with the hints it saves the game permanently. I think it did that before you entered the house where the first group of Geishas was held as well. So you shouldn't have to do too much again.

ah well if thats the case won't be quite so annoyed..just frustrating that it crashed though.

Well after loads more mutliplayer, I'm loving this game, it's loads of fun!

The one thing that I REALLY didn't like on it, is the sword fighting... but we don't need to worry about it in mulitplayer so I'm having tons o' fun! I'd even say it's a must-have for fans of FPS games (I wouldn't have said that on the single player alone!).

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!