NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Red Steel Thread

redsteel.gif

Red Steel is an exclusive Wii launch title that takes full advantage of the console’s innovative controller and puts players directly into the action-packed first-person experience with the weapon in their hand – literally.

An engaging storyline unfolds as you learn that your fiancée has been kidnapped and her father – a Japanese mafia kingpin – murdered by a rival gang. The only way to save your loved one and defend your honor is to journey from Los Angeles to Japan and confront the Tokyo underworld.

By learning the ancient art of Japanese fighting with your katana and the focused precision of modern firearms, you will progress and adapt yourself to this foreign environment, where skills alone may not guarantee you victory.

Features:

Red Steel is the only original first-person action game built from the ground up for the Wii.

Take full advantage of the Wii controller, and control the action like never before. You’ll replicate sword-fighting movements and eliminate enemies quickly by directly targeting and shooting them.

Execute deadly combo moves using multiple swords or choose from a variety of firearms for longer-range attacks.

Learn to harness your mental power to unleash powerful attacks in dire situations, and use the “focus system†to freeze time and effectively target several enemies at once.

Learn the art of Japanese fighting, and then use these skills to take out your enemies or gain their respect and loyalty by sparing them.

Challenge friends with various split-screen multiplayer modes to see who the real master is.

So were many of the reviews right? Did this live up to your expectations or were you left sorely disappointed and bitter?

Playing this later tonight. I'll post some impressions also.

A nice guy I tlaked to in the queue while waiting, told me of the bad stuff thats been said about it. I knew already but yeah, he wasnt getting it.

I played it for a little bit, it seemed ok. The control is really strange to get used to because you have to 'push' the edges of ther screen to turn, rather than moving round a fixed crosshair.

I'va also had the remote go a bit haywire on occasion. I'm sure it will get better the more used to the control i get.

I wont lie, its shit i really didnt think it would be either.

Oh well Zelda will help me tick over.

I'va also had the remote go a bit haywire on occasion. I'm sure it will get better the more used to the control i get.

To solve that problem, you need to lower the WiiMote's volumn to 1 or 0, and if that doesn't quite do the trick, turn of the vibration too.

I've also bought and played Red Steel. It will take some time to adapt to the control system, but it should be second nature once you master it :)

I've also bought and played Red Steel. It will take some time to adapt to the control system, but it should be second nature once you master it :)

I like your Wii console number.

Havent played it yet, but my bro isnt too used to the controls yet. Practice makes perfect.. I'l add my views later.

Played about 15 mins and first impressions are that it's pretty shoddy. It looks and controls like a dog. The graphics are messy, the cut scenes are embarrassing, your character sometimes spins around mentally for no reason and the "help" box that takes up the top half of your screen wont go away until you've killed the baddies shooting you while your half blinded.

Help bar is indeed a problem.

If your character spins around in a frenzy, your games sensitivity maybe too high. Go to options, and select a lower sensitivty option, that sorted the problem out for me.

Just cleared the first mission. Its alright. The character models are messy like said but everything else looks fine. It takes quite a bit of time to get used too, and the difficulty is very high I must admit (or im very very shite). But to counter this difficulty, if you stand in the same place for a while, your entire health is healed. This is quite a good balance as the enemy AI will chase to your exact location so it is difficult to find a spot.

I played mission one and a little beyond. The sword training came up and I must admit its alright. Sure your actions dont translate exactly onto screen, but who cares? Your still succesfully swinging the sword.

Current score: 7/10. Havent seen much to judge on this, spent 25 minutes on it.

Its got some great lighting, the problem for me though is the ai of the enemies. And sword slashing is just damn annoying

I don't understand why any of you guys bought this after the reviews it got? W hy not just rent it if you're curious?

Got it and love it. Graphics are not al, that and the controls take some gettin use to but once you have its a pretty good game. Marmite is the word for this game. Love it or hate it.

Aye its shit am not even going to play on it again

The controls are totaly shit, worst game controls ever

Well I wouldn't call them the worst controls ever, the game is ok actually I need to get used to it a bit more. But lets face it how mny FPS have you played with the new controller.

The thing is this is if there was no swordfighting in it then it would be much better

I don't understand why any of you guys bought this after the reviews it got? W hy not just rent it if you're curious?

yes that's what i want to know.it sounded shite as well.with it's REALLLY limited multiplayer and crap voice overs.

I'm baffled, I think this game is great, have Cod too and although in the long run Cod controls will probably be better, Red Streel is a great intro to FPS on Wii, me and all my housemates are having a blast with it, though admittedly we havent played it much. But then, I'm loving everything on the Wii - even Monster 4x4!!!!!! :o

I really like Red Steel. The controls took a while to get used to, but I find them very good.

More impressions later!

Well i jsut got a good 1:25 in. I lvoe it! The controls are a little tricky, i avhe it on high sensitivity, they took me 10 minutes to get used to. Also, sword fightiting is awesome, this game, is awesome!

Played it around dinner time and was not that impressed. :-( Just came back from playing it now tho, (after my tea) and I love it! Havent had a 3 hour game session in ages! The controls did take over 30mins to get used to, but now its natural for me, and i don't mind the odd glitch - heck its a launch title! Just starting the 3rd level now. Love holding 'A' and zooming in on people. Feels real good! Mwa ha ha ha ha! Die!!!!

Wow mixed responses...Although for a rushed launch game thats to be expected. Anyway, nice to see that people are enjoying! I was abit worried it turned out to be a bit...poo.