N-Europe

Goldeneye

Perfect Dark had more advanced features because it is a heavily modified Goldeneye engine, based on a game that was groundbreaking for its time. The level quality in Perfect Dark dips in the second half of the game when the Skedar become the focus of the game. It has less levels but Perfect Agent overall is harder than 00 Agent on Goldeneye 007. Aiming is wayward in Perfect Dark, I found it wasn't as precise as Goldeneye. I've beaten both games on the hardest difficulty level. In the context of gaming, Goldeneyes the better game for what it brought to gaming at the time, but Perfect Dark with the add on features that made it better than Goldeneye in most areas, has aged better than Goldeneye has.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, PD was amazing, but it never felt as wonderful as Goldeneye, and it certainly didn't have the reply factor.

Apart from the fact it had a massive multiplayer. Co-op, counter co-op. Loads of challenges, other missions, loads of things to do in Carrington Institute. PD was a lot better than Goldenenye.

Agreed, Rare haven't seemed to be churning out the amazing games they used to. Starfox, 'Grabbed by the Ghoulies', Kameo wasn't as good as I'd hoped. They've passed their golden era.

As far as goldeneye v perfect dark. I prefered perfect dark becuase it was newer, that's quite a shallow fact, but recently I've been playing Goldeneye again and it's truly awesome, mostly becuase it's completely new compared to anything made before it.

Perfect dark is pretty much just the revamped goldeneye. I also found it much harder (still haven't done half the levels on perfect agent :(, though I got 100% on goldeneye when I was just a lad)

I still think Nintendo should've kept hold of Rare, if only to see their back catalogue on the VC

nah i mean rare where working on shit like donkey kong racing and kameo when microspft bought them.The best part of the team free radical already left them and created the awsome timesplitters series thats why they are not as good as they used to be

Surely loads of people still have an n64. Those who don't could 'ebay-it-up' for an average price? If Rareware games are so important there's nothing wrong with the n64 controller, for now at least. I miss rare, but I can just play their old games where they were born surely.

And if you think they're still top dollar, jazz into town and buy an xbox.

I think PD was better in Multiplayer, but I the single player, whilst truly amazing, just didn't feel as good as Goldeneye's. Goldeneye just had a slightly better 'feel' to it. I remember going back to Goldeneye levels and playing them countless times, and although the Perfect Dark levels were superb, I just didn't want to replay it over and over as I did with Goldeneye.

Plus, the first time you picked up Goldeneye it was like being taking into a real new experience. It just felt like something had changed.

I am 1000% in agreement with Zechs Merquise. he basically summed up how the majority of people feel about the two games. The thing that really got on my nerves was how crap PDZero was! I was so looking forward to playing a next gen PD, but the game was just rubbish. It didnt feel like PD! I think the whole alien thing is just stupid as well. I'd rather shoot people in a game rather then aliens as it makes it a lot more believeable. I think this was another thing that made Goldeneye better. Plus every guys dream is to be James Bond. In Goldeneye you get to do just that.

Perfect Dark is better I reckon. Better missions, more variety, better graphics, and cool enemies. I played Goldeneye first, and then PD. PD didn't have the special feeling to it that Goldeneye had, but over all it was the better game. Goldeneye was awesome too mind.

I am 1000% in agreement with Zechs Merquise. he basically summed up how the majority of people feel about the two games. The thing that really got on my nerves was how crap PDZero was! I was so looking forward to playing a next gen PD, but the game was just rubbish. It didnt feel like PD! I think the whole alien thing is just stupid as well. I'd rather shoot people in a game rather then aliens as it makes it a lot more believeable. I think this was another thing that made Goldeneye better. Plus every guys dream is to be James Bond. In Goldeneye you get to do just that.

Haw, you didn't like the aliens? Man, I loved them.

Thanks! I agree with you on the aliens too, I preferred the human targets in PD, the first few levels in the Sky Scrapper were good, but by the end I wasn't as hooked. I never played PDZero, but I really want an XBOX360 to play the hi-spec FPS games, and I do intend to get it.

Must admit that the basic game engine was a lot better in PD but the level design wasnt as strong. I have recently gone back to Goldeneye and I think another major success of this game is just the fact that it is so simple and uncomplicated. Realism definately improves a game. I think aliens would be a lot better if they were more human like (i.e startrek).

I am waiting in anticipation for the next PD game to be produced by Rare, as they are starting to get back on form and should have hopefully listened to the fans criticisms.

Must admit that the basic game engine was a lot better in PD but the level design wasnt as strong. I have recently gone back to Goldeneye and I think another major success of this game is just the fact that it is so simple and uncomplicated. Realism definately improves a game. I think aliens would be a lot better if they were more human like (i.e startrek).

I am waiting in anticipation for the next PD game to be produced by Rare, as they are starting to get back on form and should have hopefully listened to the fans criticisms.

I don;t think Rare will ever 'return to form'. Goldeneye was like a 'perfect storm', everything was in the right place at the right time, the team was perfect, so was the revolutionary controller and it brought many things to the FPS genre we hadn't seen before.

Since then the team at Rare has changed dramatically, many of the key Goldeneye programmers went onto form Free Radical. I personally don;t ever think we'll see anything like this again, it was special, very special.