N-Europe

Think the Wii & PS3 are overpriced?

arab_freak

I was talking to my friend (he lives in Kuwait) about how much the Wii costs over there, since I'm planning to buy mine from there. He told me that it was a HUGE ripoff, because the Wii is being sold for 250 Kuwaiti Dinars, which is the equivalent of 1,000 US DOLLARS. $250 (which is exactly 1,500 Egyptian pounds) was what I thought I would be spending to get this machine...but now I have to pay about 5,000 EGP.

That's not all, though. He told me that the PS3 was being sold for 500 Dinars (2,000 US Dollars), about 10,000 EGP. He also told me that shops are starting to put SOLD OUT signs on their doors.

It looks like I'll have to try to import. I seriously hope they drop prices around the Winter break (I'll probably be going there then), I don't feel like spending more than half of the 8,000 pounds I just got.

:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

Well, none of them is overpriced, Wii is on a tight spot to make profit and appease retailers, while remaining attranable to casual and non gamers.

PS3 on the other hand is absurdely high priced, but it's because of the cost of the technology. Sony will lose money selling it at 600$, but if they sold it at a higher price, even less people would bought it. Hence, Sony backed themselves into a corner.

I heard they're pretty expensive on the moon too..

Thing is, if that's how much it costs in Kuwait, the living costs and wages for your average Kuwaitee will be directly proportional.

In theory.

If that was true, my friend wouldn't have told me that it was a ripoff. Everything in Kuwait is dirt-cheap. EVERYTHING, I mean it. We only pay 20 Dinars a year for taxes, and we leave our central air conditioners on for the entire year. Kuwait's economy is very good, since it has a lot of cash to go through very few people (compared to the rest of the world, that is).

Other than that, gas is almost free.

If that was true, my friend wouldn't have told me that it was a ripoff. Everything in Kuwait is dirt-cheap. EVERYTHING, I mean it. We only pay 20 Dinars a year for taxes, and we leave our central air conditioners on for the entire year. Kuwait's economy is very good, since it has a lot of cash to go through very few people (compared to the rest of the world, that is).

Other than that, gas is almost free.

If it's that good, then why moan over one item?

If it's that good, then why moan over one item?

All the savings you make on paying fuck all taxes and gas money can contribute to your damned console then.

Just because living there is cheap doesn't mean that everything you can spend your money on will be. I don't live there at the moment, and I can't spend my money on something that SHOULD be shitloads cheaper than it already is. The plane ticket alone costs 3,000 pounds.

Why IS it so expensive? Surely in an organised economy like Kuwait popular electronic products like games consoles shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Why are getting yours from Kuwait and not in Egypt anway?

Egypt doesn't import video games because the goverment taxes importers insanely high. There are hardly any shops that sell video games, and if they do, they're always imported from Europe.

Uhm, the government in Kuwait actually pays their citizens instead of asking taxes because they're filthy rich if I'm not mistaken. Figures prices go up.

That only happened last year (as well as this one). The Prince (now dead) thought it would be a nice and generous thing if he gave every Kuwaiti citizen 200 Dinars.

"Sony will lose money selling it at 600$, but if they sold it at a higher price, even less people would bought it."

I understand that there aren't enough PS3s to go around and because of that they delayed the European launch? What do you mean "even less" they can't make enough of them to be sold.