N-Europe

Wii Sales Figures

realsubzero

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, but i reckon nintendo will annouce figures after all three launches... the whole wii pr push has been very 'global'

I'm more eager to see the reception it gets in Japan on the 2nd than I am to see the European launch. But the fact Wii is outselling PS3 and it's only launched in one territory is a good sign.

I think comparison against PS3 may not be sensible at this point though. How many PS3 are there, I think it was like 82,000 in Japan and 400,000 in the US? That's not even 500k available yet so Wii is bound to outsell it.

Then again sony has to worry about why it's not selling out yet so... :laughing: I'm curious how UK will do when Wii comes out. I can't even begin to guess.

EDIT:

I just spotted BBC report on Wii in the US

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6191260.stm

Nintendo says it has sold more than 600,000 of its new Wii game consoles in the first eight days since they became available in North America.

Yeah, assuming that Nintendo did deliver 400,000 units for launch day, it's pretty safe to assume that total sales have blasted past the 1m barrier. :) There are "SOLD OUT" signs popping up all over Japan.

Nexgen says 1.1m, but take that with a pinch of salt until we get some official figures. According to the site figures - which are estimates - Wii has outsold PS3 by three to one. Of course, it's too early to say which console will do better in the long term.

Not sure how many Wiis will be on sale in Europe at launch, but I bet we break the two million barrier sometime in December. Hell, maybe even three million.

Xbox 360 took a year or so to reach 7m. I wonder how long it'll take Wii?

Yeah, assuming that Nintendo did deliver 400,000 units for launch day, it's pretty safe to assume that total sales have blasted past the 1m barrier. :) There are "SOLD OUT" signs popping up all over Japan.

Nexgen says 1.1m, but take that with a pinch of salt until we get some official figures. According to the site figures - which are estimates - Wii has outsold PS3 by three to one. Of course, it's too early to say which console will do better in the long term.

Not sure how many Wiis will be on sale in Europe at launch, but I bet we break the two million barrier sometime in December. Hell, maybe even three million.

Xbox 360 took a year or so to reach 7m. I wonder how long it'll take Wii?

nintendo have quotedb 4m by the year end.... thats 50%+ of the 360's 7 month headstart in only 6 weeks.

amazing return to form...

does anyone know how many 360s sold at launch ?

From Wikipedia:

North America

According to the NDP Group, North American sales totaled 326,000 units in November. In Canada, all 32,100 units available for launch were sold. By the end of 2005, Microsoft stated it sold roughly 900,000 units.

Japan

62,135 units in the first two days, but only 103,990 units have sold by the end of April 2nd, 2006.

Europe

Microsoft confirmed that 300,000 units were available for the European launch. By the end of 2005, Microsoft stated they sold 500,000 consoles in the region.

So about 700.000 sold around launch worldwide and a total of 1,5 mill. at the end of the year.

thanks....

interesting....

i think the wii will catch up to the 360 in sale numbers by mid 2007.

i think japan will treat the wii like the new ds and eat it up (200,000 a week-style)....

ps3 will be the last sony game machine (it loses to much money on every console it sells to turn a profit, the worst thing they can do financially ,is , sell ps3's )..especially it bluray fails

sorry to be an ass... but does anyone know how many game cubes they had available at lauch and how many actually sold.....?/?

I'll start thinking about sales comparisons when the PS3 is actually available at a steady rate. But it's worrying for Microsoft's sake that the 360 is doing so poor.

Unlike either Sony or Nintendo, I don't think poor sales will harm the 360, I think the 360 will always exist and always be supported, after all, it's Microsoft.

Microsoft will throw money at the 360 until next generation.

They want Windows in the living room. It's the future.

They will never give up on it. Because that's where the money is at.

Gaming ain't their passion tbh. That's why they think they can just buy creatives. So far they've gotten away with it.

It's quite a nice place to work.. because chances are you're not accountable for anything. You'll never get fired unless you do something really bad.

Whoever is in charge of Microsoft Japan must be getting a bit worried though.

If Nintendo really manage to deliver 4 million units worldwide by the end of this year, you can count on all of them being sold. The Wii is an incredibly hot item, it's really doing a great job. If true, Wii will have sold half of what the 360 has done in a year.

If Nintendo can keep the momentum well in the next year, they really have a winner in their hands. They need a steady stream of quality software to do that. They've pretty much got enough titles lined-up in Japan. I'm not so sure about the Western markets though.

If Nintendo really manage to deliver 4 million units worldwide by the end of this year, you can count on all of them being sold. The Wii is an incredibly hot item, it's really doing a great job. If true, Wii will have sold half of what the 360 has done in a year.

If Nintendo can keep the momentum well in the next year, they really have a winner in their hands. They need a steady stream of quality software to do that. They've pretty much got enough titles lined-up in Japan. I'm not so sure about the Western markets though.

In theory, you're right. They should be able to carry on the momentum.

However, with the Gamecube, Nintendo saw really high sales figures at the start of the cube's life, and then it really slowed down as it entered the second and third years.

With the Wii, they need to be consistent. Like the DS lite has sold in Japan, they need sales to be high for weeks and months on end.

I think that's why some of us are unphased by these high early figures. We were expecting this anyway. Trouble is, can they repeat this next year, and the year after? That's the big question.