The Reviews Thread

flameboy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GAMESPOT AND TONY, SITTING IN A TREE.

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

I disagree with a lot of what is here.. mostly because they rate ports better than their originals, but also because they rate WarioWorld III and Tony Hawks 3 on the GameBoy so highly.

http://uk.gamespot.com/games.html?type=top_rated&mode=all&sort=score&page_type=games&dlx_type=all&date_filter=all&sortdir=asc&sortdir=asc

If you don't agree with these scores then suck a duck.

Looking only at the top 10, I agree with one score only (OoT), maybe SMBD. But not really. I've not played Chrono Cross (that's the sequel to Chrono Trigger, yes? Loved that, anyway, if it's anything like it I approve of the score) though, so in any case it's a possible 3/10.

So I guess it's duck sucking time.:hehe:

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

I disagree with a lot of what is here.. mostly because they rate ports better than their originals, but also because they rate WarioWorld III and Tony Hawks 3 on the GameBoy so highly.

http://uk.gamespot.com/games.html?type=top_rated&mode=all&sort=score&page_type=games&dlx_type=all&date_filter=all&sortdir=asc&sortdir=asc

LoL, Yes Gamespot are UTTER dicks, according to their top games of all time, Tony Hawks reigns supreme and SSX Tricky is better than Twilight Princess. MMM quality reviewing there!

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

what the fuck is with all the tony hawk games?they're not THAT good like

edit:haha this is hilarious twisted metal black scored 9.5.That game actually sucked

050206sp.jpg

GameSpot's new mascot.

Massive Snowboarding is the greatest "extreme" sports title ever made for a mobile phone. Since the extreme genre is--even in the console and PC world--frequently the subject of scorn and ridicule (lets ignore why then..), this is admittedly not the proudest of boasts. To say that Massive Snowboarding is one of Gameloft's finest achievements (can't say I've heard of any others) might therefore carry more weight. This twitch-based boarding game moves with such fast-paced fluidity, you'll swear you're playing Coolboarders again. (Oh god, don't remind me)

Can you believe this is software rendering? (Wow..)

In Massive Snowboarding, you select one of five Franco-manga-style boarders and head out to carve eight long and tightly designed courses. Each slope presents you with three tasks, the completion of which wins you stat points and new areas to grind. (w00ty on yo' b00ty yo')

First, you'll have to meet or beat the goals set forth in the ride challenge. These involve attaining a requisite (Wazzat mean?) number of points and performing specific tricks. Mercifully, (OH NOES!) you don't have to nail everything in a single run. Once you've checked an item off your list, that accomplishment is yours to keep. The ride challenges are where you'll spend most of your time and energy, so it's a good thing they're generally entertaining and constructive. You'll learn your tricks in these increasingly difficult trials.

Next, you'll have to race a rival from the top of the mountain back to the lodge. This is probably the least compelling part of this trick-centric game, because the best strategy is usually just to head straight for the finish line. (GO GO GADGET SNOWBOARD!) Most tracks give you several paths from which to choose. Obviously, you'll want to avoid areas riddled with obstacles. The problem with racing stems from a control issue. It's too bad the developer didn't see fit to create incentives for players to perform tricks, even while racing. Holding down the crouch button and steering for a couple of minutes makes for a pretty monotonous race.

Finally, you'll have to let the press film you shredding sky. You'll start these challenges just before a jump, conveniently located in a press area. Your goal is to perform a combination of grabs and spins on that designated ramp, so as to earn a minimum point total. The twist is that you'll view your jump from the perspective of the cameramen. On certain video shoots, your point of view will shift a couple of times between cameras. This is as challenging as it is visually stunning.

In every aspect of its presentation, Massive Snowboarding represents the state of the industry. (Quite shit y'know?) The characters are detailed and highly stylized, from the voluptuous Anne (HENTAI ^_^) to the squirrelly Eugene. These models look great while polishing off tricks with aplomb and even better when rag-dolling out of control. To clarify, while real rag-doll physics aren't yet a technical possibility, (NO SHIT, it's a freaking phone game) the developer has done a great job of faking it. A wipeout rarely looks contrived, and it always leaves cool trails in the snow. With its lens flare, fast frame rate, and general visual panache, Massive Snowboarding is as graphically impressive on the LG VX8000 as 1080 Snowboarding was on the N64. (I BET!)

The game's sound is nearly as robust. A poppy Sum 41 song plays (Where is my noose?) over the splash screen and opening menus. In-game, you'll hear your board scraping against densely packed powder. The audio is periodically interrupted during load times, but this isn't too distracting.

While Massive Snowboarding will have you slamming at the controls with both hands, you don't have to be preternaturally gifted to pull off some amazing tricks. The 5 key sets you up for a jump, executes it, and initiates midair grabs. The directional pad handles the rest. This control scheme can be limiting at first. Once you get the hang of it, though, you'll be stringing together eight or nine tricks (grinds, spins, and grabs) in the same sequence.

What sorcery is this?! (Garry Potter I'd say) Gameloft once again leverages its development might and magic.

With five characters and eight courses, there's just a wealth of content in Massive Snowboarding. Each slope takes a couple of minutes to ride through but a great many runs to really master. (So about 30 minutes gameplay then) You'll find that each area's ride challenge is designed to barely be possible on that course. You'll have to be resourceful if you hope to complete every goal, which isn't necessarily a requirement for advancement.

Massive Snowboarding is one of the few V Cast games whose technology does not hamper its gameplay but rather bolsters it. Gameloft has struck a balance between the speedy and the spectacular, and the result is an excellent and highly addictive sports title.

Great!

Here's the latest gamerankings most popular wii games ratings:

Legend of Zelda 96.8%

Red Steel 65.8%

DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 86.1%

Rayman Raving Rabbids 79.5%

Wii Sports 79.8%

Call of Duty 3 81.6%

Excite Truck 73.4%

Trauma Center 81.0%

Super Monkey Ball Blitz 77.4%

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 82.2%

damn is Red Steel really that bad?! marvel ultimate alliance getting good scores, bit of dark horse for top seller i reckon,if it wasn't for Zelda would defintly get it.

rankinsrw2.png

I cant see how TP could deserve to be 2nd. Its just a well polished sequel! Every other game in the top 10 is either origional or revolutionary, how is TP any of those things?

To me its more akin to TeS: Oblivion, a very well polished game of substantial size that ticks all the right boxes but is ultimately just the previous games with a new story and some new features tacked on.

I cant see how TP could deserve to be 2nd. Its just a well polished sequel! Every other game in the top 10 is either origional or revolutionary, how is TP any of those things?

To me its more akin to TeS: Oblivion, a very well polished game of substantial size that ticks all the right boxes but is ultimately just the previous games with a new story and some new features tacked on.

You my friend are about to get flamed :D

Can't the game just be good? Leave the other Zeldas out of this.

FAIL.

Different controller, different way to play [with both sword slashing and aiming with projectiles]. Not solely conventional so in a sense its different enough to justify its position. I see what you're saying though but I just don't agree. Its this idea that people are fixated with that because this was/is a GC game, its a port with novelty features tacked on and not very original or innovative... Since when have you had this much input into the mechanics of a game other than just pressing buttons? Also how about Tekken 3, how is that game so revolutionary and original?

A game doesn't have to be revolutionary to be the best. The quality of a game will always shine through in the end regardless of how revolutionary it is and whether or not it happens to be a sequel.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!