N-Europe

Tales of Graces

Dante

New scan

- New heroin Sophie shown in Famitsu (only other character revealed thus far).

- Sophie lost her memory when meeting Asbel.

- Asbel gives Sophie her name.

- Asbel/Sophie fight alongside each other.

77131520090610_201101_0_big.jpg

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Captain Falcon

It's looking sweet but I have to say that's some of the worst shaky cam footage I've seen in a while.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Scans:

Tidbits:

Hubert Ozwell (?)

- 17 years old

- 171 cm tall

- 62 kg in weight

- serious personality

- blue hair

- Magic swordsman.

- Double-bladed weapon (like Serge from Chrono Cross) and Twin Gun Spells

- Voice actor: Takahiro Mizushima

Shelia/Cheria (?) Barners/Burns (?)

- 18 years old

- 160 cm tall

- 47 kg in weight

- granddaughter of the butler working for Asbel

- She holds faint feelings for Asbel

- not a very honest person with her feelings

- going through a rebel age, not very obdient to the eldery.

- throws knives

- Mix between Holy Magic/Healing Artes and Mage -> thunder-based attack, Nurse

- Her Artes have a special style

- Voice: Shiho Karawagi

- Chain Capacity (CC) Points from Tales of Destiny's Remake Aerial Linear Motion Battle System are back! instead of TP system. CC is sorta like Unison Attacks, it allows to link attacks together. Except a game that uses it is built more heavily around it. works like a stamina bar that limits how much you can attack.

Certain actions consume certain amounts of CC. Stuff like a normal attack, backstepping, and a double jump use 1 CC, while a character's most powerful attacks use, say, 6 CC. Once you run out of CC, or stop attacking for whatever reason, by resting for a second or two you refill your CC gauge. When you start off a fight you don't have maximum CC, but when it recharges, you gain a little more until you reach that character's maximum amount, then it restarts and goes back to the minimum, until you build it back up again and so on.

It gets deeper as you progress and get more CC and a bigger movelist. It's the fastest and most combo-efficient system used in a Tales game to date.

- Something called Hissatsuwaza/Special Moves.They're something like Burst Artes, but these look a bit flashier than those.

- Placed 18th in the list of the most antecipated games by Famitsu readers.

Better quality images:

img011888202.jpg

img021888261.jpg

img031888399.jpg

img041888465.jpg

img051888605.jpg

img061888673.jpg

img081888811.jpg

img091888884.jpg

img101889024.jpg

Aesthetically, you can really see the difference between the PS3/360 compared to the Wii.
Different artistic directions, really; and different teams. There's not much about vesperia, bar the resolution that couldn't be recriated on a Wii just fine, this isn't it though... because it isn't a Team Symphonia game.

This game is doign stuff, from a graphical standpoint that no Tales before it did; like Self Shadowing; look at how the hair casts shadows over the face and stuff.

Plus geometry seems at least on-par, and word says the battle arenas are actually supposed to be bigger, and the game uses Motion Capture, which Tales of Vesperia doesn't. Only thing it seems to be missing is dome depth of field applied to the battles, judging from the screenshots... but this is this team's first full 3D game.

Looking more awesome each time i see something new, lets just hope teh characters and story are just as good.

Think I'll import this when it hits the US cuz if it gets a Euro release we prolly won't see it till 2012 or something :heh:

New Battle System mentioned in the screens? Has that been explained here? :s

Aesthetically, you can really see the difference between the PS3/360 compared to the Wii. However I hold that screenshots don't do any game justice as games can look really nice in motion when they don't as still frames. Since it's a Tales game I will get it.

I agree. After playing Vesperia for so long then seeing these screens. They "look" terrible.

Guest Captain Falcon

This game is doign stuff, from a graphical standpoint that no Tales before it did; like Self Shadowing; look at how the hair casts shadows over the face and stuff.

Looking at the shots, the only evidence of any kind of self shading I'm seeing is, as you say, from the hair or and also on the neck.

Now given the hair is rarely animated (and I'm assuming not in this case outside of obvious ponytail action), it would be quite easy to fake this effect within the texture used for the face.

Similarly, appropriate shading to create the illusion on the neck isn't exactly rocket science.

Some of the battle screens show Asbel hunched over without any kind of shadow work besides that on the ground.

Guest Captain Falcon
I think he was referring to this screen and the behaviour of the hair here?

281ftiv.jpg

I worked that part out thanks, but like I said, it's easily faked if the hair isn't animated and given how you can see it cutting through the body, it gives me doubts as to whether it is or not (though maybe parts of it could be).

Looking at the shots, the only evidence of any kind of self shading I'm seeing is, as you say, from the hair or and also on the neck.
I know what you meant, but self-shadowing is not a kind of shading and self shading doesn't exist :P
Now given the hair is rarely animated (and I'm assuming not in this case outside of obvious ponytail action), it would be quite easy to fake this effect within the texture used for the face.
If it was textured you wouldn't be able to spot jaggies on it, it's clearly polygonal.

Plus, most hair these days is animated, the absent of such in a game looking this good would just render whatever achievements they made useless as the illusion of a believable character would just be shattered.

Not counting on that.

Similarly, appropriate shading to create the illusion on the neck isn't exactly rocket science.
And how do you fake that?

Self-shadowing is usually done by extruding the model in real-time and casting over it; the only way to "fake it" would be having a complete model with the shadows already applied. which to be honest would be quite dumb to do considering you'd have to animate not one but two models, and it's lightning would be fixed instead of dinamic... and all this to spare some math to be done?

Other way to "kinda faking" self shadowing would be using a simpler model than the original one just for extruding, but that would work for self shadowing arms and stuff... not for intrincate stuff such as hair and individual fingers (for instance)

If it was in only one instance and for a view angle 2 second scene... faking it could be an option (like Arc rise Fantasia does, at one point) it isn't for this one though.

Some of the battle screens show Asbel hunched over without any kind of shadow work besides that on the ground.
Well, it probably won't use self shadowing outside of cutscenes , let alone battles. (perhaps also on the party avatar in towns and roaming the field... perhaps)

And Tales of games usually have the battle engine running at 60 frames, whereas outside of it it tuns at 30 frames.

Happens a lot, just like the character models for FFX outside of cutscenes are actually horrible, how RE4 actually used self shadowing and anti aliasing only in cutscenes and we could go on, and on and on.

I worked that part out thanks, but like I said, it's easily faked if the hair isn't animated and given how you can see it cutting through the body, it gives me doubts as to whether it is or not (though maybe parts of it could be).
The hair is not static. Edited by pedrocasilva

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...