N-Europe

Get Ready for Wii! £18 2G SD Card!!

McBacon

The Wii isn't too far off, so it would be a good idea to start looking for SD cards, no?

Well, this 2G card is only £17.99 at Play.com, the most amazing deal ever. You could SHOVEL NES games and pictures and music onto this, and it will never fill up!

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/912163/Secure_Digital_2GB_from_Play_com/Product.html

Get ready for Wii.

Don't buy it.. as you probably won't need it immediately.

If you're using it for photos and mp3s, cameras come with them.

If you're using it to save games.. there won't be enough for launch to fill up the onboard memory. Let alone games you actually want.

There is no preperation needed unless you are a freakz0r and want to spend loads of money on trivialities. I really think the onboard 512mb will be ample for save files and downloadable content for probably a year.

There already was a thread, most agreed it is a great price.. but you don't need that much space really. I'd rather spend £15 on virtual console points and enjoy it on board.

Kodak's and Sony's come with 16mb, or 32mb.

A prosumer camera comes with 512mb standard..

I'm gonna stick with my 512mb card.. I know it will do the job, and I'm not gonna pay out for something I might not need in the next few years.

Obviously if you have no SD at this moment in time it might be worth buying a card.

Buying Nintendo branded SD is as stupid as buying a branded piece of fruit.

It's still fruit.

Iwata isn't sure about hard-drives.. he said it would be nice to empower consumers to use the system however they want.

They may include generic drivers for a USB hard disc.. but it's not confirmed.

I can't see why not really. The best thing would be to have it operate wirelessly, so it backs up on the hard drive of you laptop/desktop over 802.11g and also saves what you need on the system memory.

Apparently it runs on Linux (the OS) so it should be rather hackable.

Get ready for Wii.

Don't buy it.. as you probably won't need it immediately.

If you're using it for photos and mp3s, cameras come with them.

If you're using it to save games.. there won't be enough for launch to fill up the onboard memory. Let alone games you actually want.

There is no preperation needed unless you are a freakz0r and want to spend loads of money on trivialities. I really think the onboard 512mb will be ample for save files and downloadable content for probably a year.

There already was a thread, most agreed it is a great price.. but you don't need that much space really. I'd rather spend £15 on virtual console points and enjoy it on board.

cameras only come with small ones and what if you have a younger sibling or even an older one who may screw up your data (why cant we just have accounts) I'm going to buy a 2 gig one for the wii (maybe i'll use the on board memory for nes games that pre date zelda that havent been updated with a save feature (does any one know if super mario bros 1 will have save)

I had a grand total of 6 memory cards for the Gamecube thanks to their relatively small size. Those Monkey Ball replays, Timesplitters custom maps and Resident Evil saves hurt me big time.

I say go for the biggest ****-off card you can buy.

I already have a 1Gbyte for around £30-£40 i think -_-

Mine's a fast one though and was bought about a year ago so...

I had a grand total of 6 memory cards for the Gamecube thanks to their relatively small size. Those Monkey Ball replays, Timesplitters custom maps and Resident Evil saves hurt me big time.

I say go for the biggest ****-off card you can buy.

My parents bought me a MEGA huge GAME memory card about 2 Xmas' ago, it's nowhere near full and has the majority of my 65 games on, inc. Timesplitters Maps & quite a few profiles for 2 & 3.

It's possibly the best 3rd party one there is; it doesn't lose all your saves like a lot of them.

The problem I can see with buying one large capacity card is that if you damage it, or it becomes corrupt (which can happen even with decent branded ones), you've lost everything unless you make a habit of backing it up to your PC, so it might be more prudent to get a few smaller capacity cards.

At least with SD cards, we shouldn't get the problem we used to get with the Cube and N64 in that unless you bought Nintendo branded ones or were very lucky, you were almost certain to lose your data.

Yay people aren't blowing their wads before they know what sizes the games are! Good plan people.

I think it could cost £200 plus to fill a 2GB cartridge, and it might take up to 2 years judging on the speed of their releases.

What happens if that one card corrupts indeed. I'll probably make a backup on CD of every game I buy. I lost my iTunes library because I didn't back it up.

What happens if that one card corrupts indeed. I'll probably make a backup on CD of every game I buy. I lost my iTunes library because I didn't back it up.

Just redownload them. If it's as you say it shouldn't take that long to download a few games.

So what do you reckon? Will the Wii specially format the SD cards for use solely with itself and make it pretty much unreadable with PCs, Macs etc? Will each file saved on the SD card be encrypted using a private key unique to the Wii it was saved on so they can't be traded from one Wii to another? Or will they allow trading of Saved Games, but has some sort of DRM in place to stop free trading of the downloadable games?