N-Europe

Mobile Phones

Sooj

Sadly this isn't one of those usual "post what type of mobile phone you have" thread but it is one of those highly original "help me choose a suitable mobile" threads haha...man that was a bad joke :nono:

Anyway, I suppose I'll get straight to the point, here is a quick history of my mobile-phone life (to skip just scroll down to the "main point").

First mobile phone I got in my first year in secondary school, cost £30. It was a Bosch orange e-something.

2nd mobile was a 3510i - bought in 2003 (3rd year in secondary). Lasted me 3 whole happy years. Gave it away as a present to a student in India.

3rd mobile was given to me as a random present (or very, very late b'day present) by my little brother. It was a Motorolla Razor - Silver. Got it in early/late 2005 (can't remember). Anyway, I dropped it a few times and it broke.

4th is a mobile I am currently 'borrowing', its a Nokia 6100. Basically its one of those many phones that is sitting in my house which nobody is using.

Main Point

Anyway, I think it is time for me to get a new phone. Basically I'm looking for a monthly plan phone. As I do not have a digital camera or a MP3 player I want a mobile phone that can do these things pretty decently and na, I don't want to buy standalone products; pockets are full enough lol

I was at http://www.orange.co.uk and as I am a student I will be taking advantage of their special student discount offer thing. 50 minutes and 500 text messages a month for £19 + £6 insurance a month = £25 a month which is perfect.

Anyway, I want a phone that have really good sound quality for MP3 players and a above average camera and obliviously I want it to be comfortable to hold and use (as I text a lot).

Current phones I am looking at are:

Sony Ericsson K800i (phone is free with the 18 months plan)

Nokia N70 (phone is free with the 18 months plan)

Nokia N80 (phone costs £50 with the 18 month plan)

Anyone know of any other phones that are better than the ones above but be hopefully the same cost as the ones listed above eg the e900 or the d900 or whatever?

Out of these I am leaning more towards the Sony Ericsson K800i as I have read a lot of reviews and this one seems really good but then I'm still very much 2 minded (maybe because its not nokia and all my non-nokia phones seem to have failed me in the past; wether its looks/comfort or even durability :P)

Anyway, fire away and please do not ignore this post :P :P

I've always had Nokia phones, although now I've got the Sony Ericsson W810i and tell you the truth I won't be getting a new phone once my contract is up as it's easily good enough and as user friendly as the Nokia's.

The K800i, I imagine, is a brilliant phone. As long as it's got 512MB memory minimum I'd say get that!

i have a nokia n90. its has a good camera, and more importantly it has a 4gb hard drive for your mp3's. It's a bit big, but i have very quickly got used to it, and am really pleased with it.

i got it free on an 18 months contract with o2, by haggling at phones 4 u.

Go for the SE K800i. It's a great phone, I very nearly bought it but you have to be 18 to get a contract. The guy in the shop said it was much better than the Nokia N90's (I asked about them) and they had had a lot of complaints about them (the one's I've tried out seem excellent though, great hard drive).

The camera is great, 3.2 megapixels. Make sure you buy it in store, if you take your old phone in you get £100 off the price (to spend on line rental). They might not be doing that deal anymore but its worth a try.

Go for the SE K800i. It's a great phone, I very nearly bought it but you have to be 18 to get a contract. The guy in the shop said it was much better than the Nokia N90's (I asked about them) and they had had a lot of complaints about them (the one's I've tried out seem excellent though, great hard drive).

The camera is great, 3.2 megapixels. Make sure you buy it in store, if you take your old phone in you get £100 off the price (to spend on line rental). They might not be doing that deal anymore but its worth a try.

Definitely, Sony Ericsson make such great phones. If I could afford one I'd have one yesterday.

Definitely, Sony Ericsson make such great phones. If I could afford one I'd have one yesterday.

Correction: Sony Ericsson Make such great looking phones.

Don't get me wrong i'm no sony hater, but the amount of SE phones i've had that have buggered, the dreaded joystick being the main culprit. A problem that a lot of people have suffered.

I have an SE W810i. As much as i'm not a Sony fan, i really like this phone.

sony-ericsson-w810-combo.jpg

Features, looks, random rubbish you can do with it... its all good.

Correction: Sony Ericsson Make such great looking phones.

Don't get me wrong i'm no sony hater, but the amount of SE phones i've had that have buggered, the dreaded joystick being the main culprit. A problem that a lot of people have suffered.

Actually, the look isn't to my taste, it's the little details, the extra apps, the ease of navigation and the camera quality. The joystick on my k700i broke after about 1.5 years, which is normally how long I'd keep a phone for anyway.

Sony Ericsson Joysticks = Bah.

They WILL break, i know about 4-5 peoples who have broke including 2 or mine, dont say you aint been warned.

Doesn't look like that w810i has a joystick though :) Don't know for sure but from the pic it looks like 5 buttons.

Nokia n73

- Best camera available on any current Nokia phone (3.2 megapixels with flash)

- Stereo speakers, plays mp3 and AAC

- Records videos in the ever-popular .mp4 format

- "Video call" feature

- 42 MB internal memory, supports SD mini cards (up to 1 GB)

- Very stylish

nokia-n73-front-2.jpg

Nokia-N73.jpg

It's either that or the Nokia 3250.

Or if ya clever then you will get the N91

4gb HDD

2.0 mpx cam

Wifi

great design

plus much more features

nokian91i01xc9.jpg

I had it. The keypad is shit whenever you try to type or do practically anything with it, and the battery life is mediocre. I don't like the design much, I think it could've been a lot smaller and lighter.

Besides, I'd rather have the n73 than the n91. And I already have an iPod.

Ok guys 1 last question:

Nokia N73 or SE K800i? (arab freak your N72 post caught me :heh:)

Basically the same photo quality (roughly, K800i might be a bit better), both are really stylish (N73 more so maybe) and I don't know about the music playback but what I'm thinking about is the memory cards both phones use (which may sound stupid to some people). I'm not really liking the idea of paying £50 on sony's proprietary medium - the new MemoryStick Micro M2. I would actually feel more secure if like the N73 my phone would use the micro SD cards but then I don't really know much about phones nor the differences in the cards (apart from price haha) so yeah, any feedback would be cool.