NEurope

KuroKami and Yuujin-Chou sound very interesting and YAY at more Ippo and full metal or course but MORE Afro Samurai?! WTF!? The series was crazy but awesome but the way it ended, I was sure there would be no more...wish we could have more Gurren-Lagann.

Gonna check out Maria Holic and Akikan! It sounds like stuff you can really laugh at while drunk

INITIAAAAL D!!

^^

It's the longest runing manga in Shonen Weekly though. At least according to the wiki. But Kochokame is also from shonem weekly, so I don't get it :P

Well, Kochikame is from weekly shonen Jump (at least it's in JS and JUS). And hajime is from weekly shonen magazine. (lol). Wikipedia comes in handy!

About the E7 news that went up on the site, basicly the movie is having an advanced showing at the Comic Market on the 28th December - 30th December this year. Advance screening tickets are now on sale.

Nationwide release is set for 2009 as expected. Least we'll know in a couple of weeks if it's a redo/continuation/alternate universe. This really came out of the blue.

Help needed.

Basically a question for one series of shitbag assignments is about fan cultures ("film as a folkloric artefact" whatever that really means). The film we looked at in class was Rocky Horror and how that has a huge fanbase and screenings where people dress up and 'participate' in it.

Can anyone think of a Japanese equivilant (doesn't have to be anime but figured this would be the best thread for it)? If im doing a Japanese Cultural Studies MA I want to have some kind of background to work from.

Obviously people cosplay, and that'll be part of it. But does any Japanese film have a particularly high cult following (either within Japan or elsewhere as both sides could be argued).

Thanks in advance :)

Wikipedia reference-linkDensha Otoko?

I don't really get what you want, but if it is what I'm thinking there's no better example than that movie/series/novel etc.

It supposedly had a huge cultural impact in the teenage segment. Read about it.

Wikipedia reference-linkDensha Otoko?

I don't really get what you want, but if it is what I'm thinking there's no better example than that movie/series/novel etc.

It supposedly had a huge cultural impact in the teenage segment. Read about it.

Hmm not entirely sure (going by the Wiki alone at present) but it certainly is one of those bizarrely interesting stories. Shall have to dig into it. Thanks :)

As if this story arc couldnt get any better they pull out this issue. Now that Pain knows where Naruto is training will the 6 of them invade the frog lands? Also Konohamaru unleashing the Rasengan was just outstanding! Im still not happy that we havent found out what has happened with Kakashi yet, is he dead or what?

Im happy that we are getting closer to the secret of Pains power, hopefully someone will beat the hell out of them all very soon. Saying that team Gai is on their way back to the village so hopefully Rock Lee and Neji can get in on the action.

New anime this week: Time of Eve (Eve no Jikan)

In the not too distant future androids have come into common usage. Taking the androids for granted, humans treat them as if they were common everyday tools, however, some people are unhealthily attracted to the androids due to their human-like appearance (save for a digital ring floating above their heads). This has become a social problem and these people are frowned upon as a result. A public campaign has been formed to promote natural, non-android-assisted lifestyles, and the campaign is gaining traction in spite of the public benefit of robotics.

Rikuo, who has taken robots for granted for his entire life, one day discovers that Sammy, his home android, has been acting independently and coming and going on her own. He finds a strange phrase recorded in her activity log, "Are you enjoying the Time of Eve?". He, along with his friend Masaki, traces Sammy's movements and finds an unusual cafe, "The Time of Eve". Nagi, the waitress, informs them that the cafe's main rule is to not discriminate between humans and androids. Within the cafe androids do not display their status rings, and, when patrons depart, the door is automatically locked for two minutes to prevent someone from following them to discover their true nature.

The first few episodes involve conversations between Rikuo (usually accompanied by Masaki) and the cafe regulars: the bubbly Akiko, child Chie and her elderly guardian, the lovers Koji and Rina, and others. These conversations make frequent allusion to Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, often highlighting surprising interpretations of those laws, some of which form apparent loopholes. The overarching plot involves the beginnings of independence displayed by the androids, what they do with that independence within the bounds of the three laws, and what motivates them. Secondary plots involve the individual stories of each android the protagonists encounter in the cafe, and how they come to discover which patrons are androids and which not.

Ep 1 screencaps and preview

As if this story arc couldnt get any better they pull out this issue. Now that Pain knows where Naruto is training will the 6 of them invade the frog lands? Also Konohamaru unleashing the Rasengan was just outstanding! Im still not happy that we havent found out what has happened with Kakashi yet, is he dead or what?

Im happy that we are getting closer to the secret of Pains power, hopefully someone will beat the hell out of them all very soon. Saying that team Gai is on their way back to the village so hopefully Rock Lee and Neji can get in on the action.

Kakashi's dead bro. There have been a few distinct ways they have told this:

1. Kakashi used all his moves, finishing with his strongest - the mangekyou sharingan - only ever done when a character is going to die

2. He saw and spoke to his dad meaning that really, he has passed on

3. Tsunade sent a slug to heal him, as it has done to others, and when it reached Kakashi, she reacted as if there was nothing she could do, and then she punched a hole in the wall out of frustration

4. In fitting with the way the Naruto verse works, Kakashi as an older character, needs to bow out so that the youngs can step in and 'carry the Will of Fire'.

5. The author of naruto (I forget his name) is not afraid to kill of characters, impressively but sadly IMO.

So yeah, im pretty sure he's dead. And Naruto really is amazing atm. It's the first of the big batch of manga that I read.

Kakashi's dead bro. There have been a few distinct ways they have told this:

1. Kakashi used all his moves, finishing with his strongest - the mangekyou sharingan - only ever done when a character is going to die

2. He saw and spoke to his dad meaning that really, he has passed on

3. Tsunade sent a slug to heal him, as it has done to others, and when it reached Kakashi, she reacted as if there was nothing she could do, and then she punched a hole in the wall out of frustration

4. In fitting with the way the Naruto verse works, Kakashi as an older character, needs to bow out so that the youngs can step in and 'carry the Will of Fire'.

5. The author of naruto (I forget his name) is not afraid to kill of characters, impressively but sadly IMO.

So yeah, im pretty sure he's dead. And Naruto really is amazing atm. It's the first of the big batch of manga that I read.

He stopped the nail (the puppet pain said so, by using his mangeyu thing, so for kakashi to die from lack of energy is just poor imo. If another character dies without naruto being there i think i may cry =[

Jiriya beaten to a pulp, naruto suffered badly, and now the guy that got him into ninja'ing? hell no! and kakashi isn't old damnit

He stopped the nail (the puppet pain said so, by using his mangeyu thing, so for kakashi to die from lack of energy is just poor imo. If another character dies without naruto being there i think i may cry =[

Jiriya beaten to a pulp, naruto suffered badly, and now the guy that got him into ninja'ing? hell no! and kakashi isn't old damnit

Come on. Embrace the truth. The man is dead unless someone knows how to bring people back from the dead and I pretty sure that person is dead themselves already. Kakashi is an expert and said himself that he would die if he used the technique which he did. And twice when one use already is enough to tire him out.

And this is the Japanese and manga. The main heroes are always very young, with the older characters being there to be surpassed and/or die to protect the young while they still grow. This almost ALWAYS happens. :(

Come on. Embrace the truth. The man is dead unless someone knows how to bring people back from the dead and I pretty sure that person is dead themselves already. Kakashi is an expert and said himself that he would die if he used the technique which he did. And twice when one use already is enough to tire him out.

And this is the Japanese and manga. The main heroes are always very young, with the older characters being there to be surpassed and/or die to protect the young while they still grow. This almost ALWAYS happens. :(

No no no, see i reckon pain'll leave konoha next issue, they have no reason to stay do they? naruto's not there, they found out where he is. So kakashi will have died for nothing

NOTHING,

No no no, see i reckon pain'll leave konoha next issue, they have no reason to stay do they? naruto's not there, they found out where he is. So kakashi will have died for nothing

NOTHING,

Man i was where you were but we have to face it, It's the end. I think people tend to die in manga for no reason...wait, that's poorly created anime. But meh, he died protecting choji after they found out one of his abilities so...just a bit above nothing :blank:

EDIT: Just watched the latest episode of the naruto anime. EPIC does not even come close to what I just saw. reading it is one thing, but seeing the jutsu in motion is truly epic.

Unrelated: DomJcg, what's that invincible comic like?

Man i was where you were but we have to face it, It's the end. I think people tend to die in manga for no reason...wait, that's poorly created anime. But meh, he died protecting choji after they found out one of his abilities so...just a bit above nothing
:blank:

EDIT: Just watched the latest episode of the naruto anime. EPIC does not even come close to what I just saw. reading it is one thing, but seeing the jutsu in motion is truly epic.

Unrelated: DomJcg, what's that invincible comic like?

Literally the best comic ever, nay, story too. Ask Dan dare, he just got it =] GO GET IT NOW

can't stress it enough

Literally the best comic ever, nay, story too. Ask Dan dare, he just got it =] GO GET IT NOW

can't stress it enough

Im tempted to get it, but does it go on for ever? I mean manga tends to have a forseeable end while american comics just go on and on.

It's only at 50 comics atm, but going on forever can be a good thing, it allows for character extreme development, situations that only happen due to time and amazing villians =]

It's only at 50 comics atm, but going on forever can be a good thing, it allows for character extreme development, situations that only happen due to time and amazing villians =]

50 comics?! Only?! I really don't have the money for that + games :( Being poor blows.

50 comics?! Only?! I really don't have the money for that + games :( Being poor blows.

If you buy Trade paperbacks it´s like 9 volumes.

If you buy Trade paperbacks it´s like 9 volumes.

That does not sound so bad. May have a little looksee on amazon

Just finished watching it myself and yes it is indeed epic although for me it will take a while before anything beats the epicness of last weeks double episodes.

As soon as he hit him with the Rasen-Shuriken and the music kicked I had such a grin on my face, simply outstanding.

Just finished watching it myself and yes it is indeed epic although for me it will take a while before anything beats the epicness of last weeks double episodes.

As soon as he hit him with the Rasen-Shuriken and the music kicked I had such a grin on my face, simply outstanding.

QFT - it was bluudy awesome! I had the same grin too :D

QFT - it was bluudy awesome! I had the same grin too :D

I would of had a grin but my mouth was too wide open with amazement, much like his colleagues. :grin: