NEurope

Right, well Clannad 10 was a whistlestop episode, but a pretty good one. This is why you shouldn't doss about at school like Okazaki... :heh:

FOR GOD'S SAKE, ODA.

STOP JUICING AND HYPING US, I DON'T WANT TO DIE FROM HEART ATTACK.

JUST BRING WHITEBEARD AND HAVE THE DAMN WAR STARTED.

But anyways... "Meh" chapter, i can't read chapters normally now, Oda is killing me, WHY THE HELL DOESN'T HE SHOW WHITEBEARD SHOWING AND KILLING EVERYONE ALREADY?

But yes, this is getting interesting, i can't wait to see how will Luffy hide from the Marine's who are going to do a fullbody check (Lucky bastard who will do it to Boa ;_______; )

Right, well Clannad 10 was a whistlestop episode, but a pretty good one. This is why you shouldn't doss about at school like Okazaki... :heh:

What does 'whistlestop' mean? :wtf:

yknow... like a political tour, you just kinda go everywhere, jump out of your vehicle do stuff, jump back in and then go on to the next place, it's important to do, but not important where you are.

I don't know how this applies to clannad after story 10, cos I've never watched it, but... yeah.

Well, now I sorta know what 'whistlestop' means (zankyuu, Shorty-kun*), but I may need Grunchy Nut to give me an example from the episode.

*I will never say anything like that ever again. That was just too geeky for me.

yknow... like a political tour, you just kinda go everywhere, jump out of your vehicle do stuff, jump back in and then go on to the next place, it's important to do, but not important where you are.

I don't know how this applies to clannad after story 10, cos I've never watched it, but... yeah.

I think i get the relevance, maybe

tomoya is travelling from one destination to another in his job, not knowing where he is going from one stop to the next, but the importance of the job he is doing is definitely stressed throughout the episode

Or I could be totally wrong :heh:

Shame I can't read any of it and the vid loads incredibly slowly :(

On a totally different note, anyone have any info on the continuation of the Hajime no Ippo anime

Nothing we didn't know already. Basically said it starts in April (after Gundam 00)

Also we get more information on it on Friyda when the next Shonen Gangan with the next FMA chapter. Also from the teaser it's not a continuation and the art style is a bit different. You can see the trailer properly when you press Replay.

Nothing we didn't know already. Basically said it starts in April (after Gundam 00)

Also we get more information on it on Friyda when the next Shonen Gangan with the next FMA chapter. Also from the teaser it's not a continuation and the art style is a bit different. You can see the trailer properly when you press Replay.

WAIT WAIT WAIT. Is it another Ippo 'special'? Cos I want more of the series damnit! Not the one off fights! There are so many great fights and moments that need animating!

Well, now I sorta know what 'whistlestop' means (zankyuu, Shorty-kun*), but I may need Grunchy Nut to give me an example from the episode.

*I will never say anything like that ever again. That was just too geeky for me.

It's actually sankyuu, but yes, far too geeky. :heh:

I think i get the relevance, maybe

tomoya is travelling from one destination to another in his job, not knowing where he is going from one stop to the next, but the importance of the job he is doing is definitely stressed throughout the episode

Or I could be totally wrong :heh:

I meant it more in the slightly older sense of the word - it comes from describing fast trains that only stopped when there was a whistle. So yeah, I was just saying that it covered a lot of material in one episode.

WAIT WAIT WAIT. Is it another Ippo 'special'? Cos I want more of the series damnit! Not the one off fights! There are so many great fights and moments that need animating!

What? :heh:

It's a proper anime series most likely based from the manga since from the teaser, you know it's not a continuation.

What? :heh:

It's a proper anime series most likely based from the manga since from the teaser, you know it's not a continuation.

They have already animated some on Hajime no Ippo. Hence, what they would be doing now is a continuation of that as they never finished it but stopped at an acceptable (not in mine really) place. They have made a few 'Special's' showing events after the finish of the series. Man I can't wait for more. Forgot that there was a series that I liked more than One piece (ignoring Berserk too).

NARUTO New Movie Announced

According to Weekly Shounen Jump, a new movie of "Naruto" will be shown in the summer of 2009. This movie is made to cerebrate the 10th anniversary of the publication of "Naruto" manga.

The total sales of the 44 volumes of NARUTO manga have reached 80 million copies.

It's actually sankyuu, but yes, far too geeky. :heh:

I meant it more in the slightly older sense of the word - it comes from describing fast trains that only stopped when there was a whistle. So yeah, I was just saying that it covered a lot of material in one episode.

Well I did google a definition and came up with the trains only stop when requested thing, but shorty's definition made more sense in my head :heh: Maybe I just don't think deep enough about these things!

So close yet so so far :indeed:

It was a verrry cute episode. :smile:

NARUTO New Movie Announced

According to Weekly Shounen Jump, a new movie of "Naruto" will be shown in the summer of 2009. This movie is made to cerebrate the 10th anniversary of the publication of "Naruto" manga.

The total sales of the 44 volumes of NARUTO manga have reached 80 million copies.

Huh? 10 years? WTF I had no idea.

Huh? 10 years? WTF I had no idea.

Naruto is the new drangonball. :p

The series is based on a one-shot that Kishimoto first authored in the August 1997 issue of Akamaru Jump.

Also One Piece has been going for 12 years and Beach has been going for seven years.

Hajime no Ippo (1989) is the longest manga ever with 84 volumes and 828 chapters.

Help needed.

Basically a question for one series of shitbag assignments is about fan cultures ("film as a folkloric artefact" whatever that really means). The film we looked at in class was Rocky Horror and how that has a huge fanbase and screenings where people dress up and 'participate' in it.

Can anyone think of a Japanese equivilant (doesn't have to be anime but figured this would be the best thread for it)? If im doing a Japanese Cultural Studies MA I want to have some kind of background to work from.

Obviously people cosplay, and that'll be part of it. But does any Japanese film have a particularly high cult following (either within Japan or elsewhere as both sides could be argued).

Thanks in advance :)

Hajime no Ippo (1989) is the longest manga ever with 84 volumes and 828 chapters.

Incorrect. Kochikame (1976) is, with 161 volumes.

Winter Animes 08/09

Akikan!

The story revolves around a typical high school boy named Kakeru Daichi and the can of melon juice soda that he bought from a vending machine. The can suddenly transforms into a beautiful but standoffish girl that Kakeru nicknames "Melon," and more "Akikan" ("empty can" or "A-Machine") girls appear. However, Akikan girls need to be infused with carbon dioxide from kissing to survive.

Zoku Natsume Yuujin-chou

The story revolves around Natsume, a boy who has been able to see ghosts since he was little. Unfortunately, humans shun him, and there is not much fondness between him and ghosts either. One day, he inherits a Yūjin-Chō ("Book of Friends") from his grandmother. The book is actually full of contracts that his grandmother made to trap ghosts. As one ghost after another shows up, Natsume tries to release or help them — even while many of them seek vengeance on him

Hajime no Ippo New Series

Ippo Makunouchi is a very shy high school student who never had the time to make friends because he was always busy helping his mother with the family charter boat fishing business. Because he kept to himself, a group of bullies led by Umezawa got into the habit of picking on him. On one particular day these bullies decided to give him a rather serious beating, but a middle-weight professional boxer who was passing by stopped the bullies and took the injured Ippo to the Kamogawa Gym, owned by retired boxer Genji Kamogawa, to treat his wounds. After Ippo awoke to the sounds of boxers training, the boxer who saved him, Mamoru Takamura, tried to cheer Ippo up by letting him vent his frustrations on a sandbag. It was then that they had their first glimpse into Ippo's talent for boxing. After that incident, Ippo started his regular training and began his path in Japan's professional boxing.

Kemono no Souja Erin

Erin was born into an oppressed tribe of the Kingdom Ryoza. Her mother,Soyon, was in charge of Touda, dragon like creatures used as weapons in the war, but when the Touda started dying of an unknown cause, Soyon took the blame and was executed. The newly orphaned Erin was adopted by a beekeeper named Joun who taught her about nature and helped her to discover the secret of the Touda's natural enemy: Oujuu, King of Beasts. Her newfound understanding and uncanny ability to communicate with Oujuu will lead her into the realms murder and intrigue on an international level.

Asakiyumemishi - The Tale of Genji

A shining baby boy is born between the emperor and Kiritsubo. The boy loses his mother when he is still very young. But the emperor shows a strong liking for him, and he grows into a strikingly handsome young man. The first part of the story follows the happy but sorrowful tales of the glorious youth Hikaru Genji's love. It is also about the women in his life who strive to make their love towards Genji significantly different from others.

Maria†Holic

The story centers on a sophomore named Kanako who enrolls in all-girls school because she has a phobia of men and wants to find her destined yuri partner. She meets a captivating freshman named Mariya who fits her criteria — except her seemingly ideal mate happens to be a cross-dressing sadistic boy.

xxxHOLiC & Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle

A 4 part OVA will be released with limited editions of the Tsubasa and xxxHOLiC volumes. There will be two OVAs for each series, with plots linked together.

Tower of Druaga - the Sword of Uruk

: It is said that every few years, there is what’s known as the "Summer of Anu." During that summer, thanks to the divine protection of the sky-god Anu, all of the demons in the tower lose their power. The country of Uruk has begun an invasion of the tower in order to suppress the demons. They’ve built up positions inside the tower, with their sights set on getting to the upper levels. The Uruk army knows that this is the third Summer of Anu-a perfect time to launch a mission to suppress the monster Druaga once and for all. The army soldiers aren’t the only ones in the tower, though. An enitre city called Meskia has formed inside the tower’s first floor. It plays host not just to soldiers, but also to adventurers who have heard rumors about a legendary treasure called the Blue Crystal Rod, which is said to rest at the very top of the tower. With all these different groups in the mix, each with its own agenda, one can only guess how things will play out during this unusual summer.

KuroKami The Animation

Wending his way home after a bender one evening, master moocher and game programmer Keita Ibuki decides to satisfy a craving for ramen at a noodle stand. Instead of slurping soup, though, he surrenders his meal to a manic girl who, unbeknownst to Keita, is a Mototsumitama, a guardian of the coexistence equilibrium. When his new acquaintance is attacked, Keita gets caught in the crossfire and loses an arm. Awakening from the shock of his injury, Keita finds himself back in his apartment… arm intact! But just whose arm is it?! Asking the strange girl raiding his refrigerator reveals only that Keita’s life has become a great deal more complicated.

Birdy the Mighty DECODE 2nd Season

Tsutomu Senkawa is an average high school kid who is busy studying for his senior entrance exams. Tsutomu goes out for some fresh air, after a hard day’s work studying for a big test, when he runs into a guy fleeing from a pretty young lady. The pursued man is actually an interplanetary criminal on the run from a Federation agent called Birdy Cephon Altera. Caught in the midst of this chase, Tsutomu gets thrown by the man at Birdy, which kills Tsutomu. Fortunately for Tsutomu, there is a way to keep him alive, although it comes at the price of discarding his body. He ends up merged into Birdy’s body.

Girl who Leapt Through the Heavens

Orbital Year 331, about a girl named Akiha Shishido. Was born on a space colony, grew up on a space colony, and goes to school on a space colony. A rather normal girl in this age. However, chance would have it, she comes across a space colony named Leopold that possesses artificial intelligence. The AI posesses a mix of the worst personality traits most humans have...self centered, belligerent, potty mouthed etc. However, Leopold has an alterior motive...

RIDE BACK

Ride Back tells the story of a girl and her "iron horse" robot motorcycle in 2020, a tumultuous time of anti-government student protests.

Queen's Blade

A competition to decide the next Queen. The strongest warrior will rule the country and expand it. The contestants need to be older than 12. They need not be human, intelligent or even of that country. The rules for the tournament: murder is allowed. Any weapon can be chosen.

Z Mazinger

Set in contemporary times, the battle of the Gods (extraterrestrials thought to be Gods by the ancient Greeks) continues. Hades (in mythology, the ruler of the underworld, embodied by Dr. Hell) has returned to attack the Earth and exterminate the human race, and to protect it Zeus sends a robot born from him, Z Mazinger (this is why the Z of Zeus is before the name and not after it as in Mazinger Z, where it's not related to the Greek god).

The robot is given by chance to a student called Koji Kabuto and together with Aphrodite and other classic Mazinger characters such as Tetsuya he defends the planet.

Kiss x Sis

Keita has two step-sisters who love him in a lustful way and have no problems expressing it, they even are in competition about that. Much to the laughs of his friends, he endures it but when one day they come to his school to give him his lunch, he gets annoyed and explodes on them, then they confess their feelings for him in front of everyone and leave. Feeling sorry he chases after them and says that he’ll study hard in order to get in the same highschool as them.

Initial D Extra Stage 2

Afro Samurai: RESURRECTION

Maria-sama ga Miteru Season 4

White Album

Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GO GO!

Major S5

Slayers EVOLUTION - R

Haganekara no Regios

Da Capo If Part I

ROBO CROSSER

Mainichi Kaasan

Guin Saga

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin

Appleseed: Genesis

Winter Sonata

Fullmetal Alchemist 2

Minami-Ke Third Season

INITIAAAAL D!!

^^

Incorrect. Kochikame (1976) is, with 161 volumes.

It's the longest runing manga in Shonen Weekly though. At least according to the wiki. But Kochokame is also from shonem weekly, so I don't get it :P