NEurope

Dude, there are some hot Eva figurines I've been wanting lately... I just don't have the financial means to obtain them. God, I'm so poor at the moment it's UNREAL. Medicom have made some super posable Asuka and Rei figurines, I'll link you up if I can find any.

Share with me the goth statue?

It hasn't arrived, and even when it does my g/f's digital camera never seems to work. On Sunday I go home then I can take a pic with my phone :)

Try http://www.animecornerstore.com for some figures n stuff. They have some really rare ones back in right now.

So I just got Barefoot Gen. Cant watch the second part. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I bought a kai doh maru dvd last year. It ended short of what it said it should be. Was it a misprint or is it actually 48 mins?

That's a pretty cool pic, but not quite traditional anime, although some of the darker comtemporary manga look a bit like that, such as samurai executioner.

Tomorrows release of episode 9 of mai-otome has got me looking at the official site, using Babelfish... It translates Shizuru as "shizzle", and Arika as "the ant mosquito"... :rolleyes:

amazon have some good deals. AKIRA is £17.99 in HMV and on amzon ive bought AKIRA and Ninja Scroll for £19,96. not bad

I wanna start anime. I've only seen first ep of Bleach. Any recomendations?

One Piece go to the website i mentioned a few posts ago, thats exactly what anime has, comedy, sadness, revenge, and promises

Anyone ever read a book called the deamon Ororon? It's by Hakase Mizuki, has some damn cool art and an intriguing plot about a half angel girl under protection from the king of hell. it's very odd, but good stuff.

Well for a start watch the rest of bleach until the current ep lol

And it depends really on what sort of genres you like, if you look through this thread there have been lots of different recommendations for all sorts of genres and interests

Watch bleach, then start buying cheap R1(ie legit not boots or fansubs) releases off ebay or dvdpacific.com.

Azumanga Daioh

Tenchi Muyo

Excel Saga

Fullmetal alchemist

Full metal panic

They are all good titles to start a collection off with. check over at The ANN for general show info.

I’m going to buy some anime this week. I’m thinking of getting Ghost in the Shell and Innoncence (they come together) from Play.com or . Can someone tell me how they are related? Also, does it *ahem* contain anything "dodgy"?

Also getting Metropolis and Akira (finally)

Any other good anime you would recommend? (except Ghibli films, got them all)

I’m going to buy some anime this week. I’m thinking of getting Ghost in the Shell and Innoncence (they come together) from Play.com or . Can someone tell me how they are related? Also, does it *ahem* contain anything "dodgy"?

Also getting Metropolis and Akira (finally)

IIRC, there is possibly brief naked breast appearances(nothing you havent seen before if you have seen a 15 film).

Innocence is the Sequel to GitS. It follows on a few years after the events of the first film, but doesnt focus of Motoko(lead in the first one)but follows her partenr Batou. I can't say why as It'd spoil the first one.

Out of interest, how many episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion are there exactly? I'm looking at the DVDs on Amazon and there are a ton of volumes all at 15 quid a piece. Just wondering whether I can get them all in one fell swoop...

Out of interest, how many episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion are there exactly? I'm looking at the DVDs on Amazon and there are a ton of volumes all at 15 quid a piece. Just wondering whether I can get them all in one fell swoop...

there is the platinum collection which has all 26 episodes remastered + 4 extended versions of 21-24. altho theres none in this country, i go the region 1 version of ebay, you will also want end of evangelion as that is the "true" ending of evangelion

there is the platinum collection which has all 26 episodes remastered + 4 extended versions of 21-24. altho theres none in this country, i go the region 1 version of ebay, you will also want end of evangelion as that is the "true" ending of evangelion

Dabookerman is absolutely right. To elaborate:

When GAiNAX was produing the Evangelion TV series (original 26 episode story) they began to run out of sufficient money to produce such a financially demanding show and it shows towards the end. Animation sequences are reused several times throughout the later episodes, there are a lot of cheats used to prevent them having to actually animate ANY movement.

This low-budget run culminated in the last two episodes when GAiNAX was forced to end the series on a different note than planned, with episodes 25 and 26 depicting what was happening with the character's inner conflicts and personalities at the end of the series with very vague hints of what was actually occuring in reality. These final two episodes occur on mostly black backgrounds with endless reused/cheap animation.

Ultimately the series finale was met with mixed reactions, good and bad. Mostly bad. It was a short while after the series ended that GAiNAX decided to do the "PROPER" ending to Evangelion. However due to time constraints in production, they decided it would be best to release to theatres a character-based recap of the animation series up to the episode 24 (Death) and then a preview of their "End of Evangelion" ending, lasting approximately 25 minutes (Rebirth).

This was followed several months later with the theatrical release of "The End of Evangelion", which is labelled as the true ending to the series. It is said these episodes occur as an alternative to episodes 25 and 26, but I see them as an expansion of the themes already introduced. Close inspection of the series and movie endings will give glimpses of The End of Evangelion to support this theory. The two endings occur concurrently, but are told from varying perspectives.

Furthermore, extended versions of episodes 21-24 were produced to incorporate expanded scenes, new animation and tweaked dialogue in order to help fans better understand some of Evangelion's more ambiguous points and events. These are often mis-labelled directors cuts by fans when they are in fact "more true" versions of the episodes than the original 21-24.

The companies responsible for bringing Evangelion to the dubbed world are ADV (original series and extended versions of 21-24 that are designed to replace the last two discs in the Perfect Collection boxed set). ADV produced a Perfect Collection boxed set which contains dubbed/subbed original releases of the show complete with poor video quality. More on ADV's part later.

Manga Entertainment are responsible for the movie releases here, and tried to retain as much of ADV's feel for the series as possible. Most of the voice actors return, and ADV's Perfect Collection and Manga's Death/Rebirth and End of Evangelion sit together comfortably. Manga have since released a compilation set of the movies which to date remains the best and only legitimate way to own them in this country.

Several years ago, GAiNAX began to put out advertisements speaking about the Renewal of Evangelion. Not a sequel, but a renewal of the series as the name entailed. This would see Evangelion re-released on DVD at last with a brand new digital print and 5.1 audio. This first hit in the form of a limited boxed set that was pre-order only and never sold at commercial retail (damned annoying as a DVD boxed set, but with great collectors value I'll add). They later began to release the DVDs in Japan in standard cases for those who missed out on the renewal boxed set and still wanted the best possible Evangelion experience.

ADV negotiated for the Western rights to Renewal but were only able to secure the original 26 episodes and the extended versions of episodes 21-24 because Manga Entertainment held the rights to the movies in the Western world. This did not stop them from releasing Evangelion Renewal under the title of "Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum" which is available in beautifully designed single disc releases both here and in the United States and as a thinpak cheaper re-release in the states as Dabookerman stated.

As Platinum is the best quality and legitimate way to obtain Evangelion, the best bet is to try and obtain the thinpack from somewhere and then grab Manga's releases of the movies. There -are- methods to obtain remastered dubs/subs of the movies but these are by no means legitimate and would warrent crucifixion (how fitting in the context of this series) if I started to chat in more depth about them here.

In addition to the television series and movies, there is also a brilliant manga series currently in serialisation in Japan and being released in the West by Viz. Whilst the manga diverts from the series storyline and waters down a lot of the philosophy shown, it provides a fantastic alternative take on the events that occured in the Evangelion anime and stands beside it as a fine companion piece. A bonus with the manga is a more consistent level of artwork by renowned artist, and original Evangelion character designer, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto.

I think that's about everything...