N-Europe

This is Real - Wii Price & Date - Nov 19th US & $250 USD

NintendoDS

I think it's entirely possible they'll launch Wii in Europe first, because they've done an odd conference in London.

Usually they would put what they're going to reveal in order of importance, so that means Europe will either have more games or will be released first.

I think it could be either, but I'm hoping it'll be released first.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wii could be in Europe before Japan, its not unreasonable.

Strictly speaking, Japan is guaranteed sales for Nintendo considering PS3's lack of units(only 100,000).

Europe is in MORE need because there will be no PS3. Now is a clear opportunity to make a big mark. Japan can wait 2 extra weeks because the demand is intense there. Just look at the DS sales....

Why is anyone surprised about the US being first? This is almost the exact same set up as the DS launch, US late November, Japan early December....in that case the DS was March Europe, which hopefully wont be the case this time though but the point is it doesn't work anymore that Japan = always first, there's already been hardware released in the west first and TONS of games released first in the US.

OK, any Americans correct me if I'm wrong on this, I asked a friend last year and I think I've got it right, but I could be mis-remembering.

In the US, one of the biggest sales periods is the week around Thanksgiving, which is the third Thursday in November; this year, that is 16th November. Perviously, Nintendo have launched systems or big titles on the weekend before Thanksgiving, which would mean the release date for the Wii would have been the 12th November. Doing this gets them onto the market in preparation for the big rush of sales on the actual Thanskgiving weekend, including Black Monday.

It seems a little odd, to me, that they would change to the actual Thanksgiving weekend itself, when it's going to be harder to make sure they can get stock into stores.

This doesn't disprove the NYTimes story, but does bring its validity into question.

Anyway, if the $250 pricetag is correct, let's check out likely UK/EU prices:

US$250 = GB£132.50

GB£132.50 + [email protected]% = GB£155.69

Hard to know which way they would go; psychologically, £149.99 works much, much better than £159.99. Probably easier to work on both, for now:

GB£149.99 = €222.59 ~ probably end up at €225

GB£159.99 = €237.40 ~ probably end up at €240

Just hope MCV were right on their pricing, then!

EDIT: OK, loads of posts in the time it took me to type that lot up!

I think it's entirely possible they'll launch Wii in Europe first, because they've done an odd conference in London.

Usually they would put what they're going to reveal in order of importance, so that means Europe will either have more games or will be released first.

I think it could be either, but I'm hoping it'll be released first.

Well Reggie apparently said the States will get the first launch. So that either means we'll come second (gah, I hope so), or somewhere after Japan (that would seriously suck).

Well Reggie apparently said the States will get the first launch. So that either means we'll come second (gah, I hope so), or somewhere after Japan (that would seriously suck).

Don't think he said that! He said USA are getting the largest allocation.

Don't think he said that! He said USA are getting the largest allocation.

Quote from IGN:

"Wii goes on sale November 19. "The worldwide debut of the Wii system happens right here in the Americas -- the same place where we debuted Nintendo DS. On November 19, it will be available at more than 25,000 points of distribution across the Americas. And with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $249.99. One price. One configuration. One color." Which is, for the record, white.

Plans to ship 4 million Wii consoles between launch and December 31. Americas will receive the largest share of stock."