NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
small tac

Very positive Wii article in Sun Newspapaer Australia

An article in the Melbourne Sun newspaper, Australia, Sunday Sepetmber 10th. Wii dont normally get much accurate reporting on Wii in this newspaper so this is a first.

Wii's wow factor

Microsoft was first off the mark with a next generation console, the Xbox 360,

and this week Sony has announced Australian gamers wont't see the Playstation 3

until March next year, despite November 17 launches of the hotly anticipated

console in japan and the US. That leave Nintendo with its oddly-named Wii.

But while the name may be uncool, the unit is anything but. We had an

exclusive pay with a prototype of Nintebdo's next-generation offering and

came away seriously impressed.

Price: < $330 AUD (I think they just converted <$250USD so maybe wrong)

Date: Before Christmas

<long article follows - nothing negative, all factual>

It really is fabulous and fun and means gaming is no longer sedentary.

In fact, expect to work up a sweat in some games. There will be no more

claims that computer games make you fat and lazy.

Nintendo says it will cost no more than $330 AUD, making it by far the cheapest of the next genertion consoles.

Update: picture of article

thumb_wiiarticlewebad9.jpg

update 2:

Australian media experiencing Nintendo's Wii

10 Sep 2006 - Nintendo impresses mainstream Australian media after hands-on offerings.

Preparations are completely underway for the Australian launch of the hotly-anticipated Wii, and news outlets have been given the opportunity to go hands-on with the console at Nintendo Australia's headquarters in Scoresby, Melbourne.

The Age and the Herald Sun have reported on their experiences, with both expressing great impressions from the revolutionary new offering.

"The latest hands-on play confirmed that gaming with the motion sensing Wii-mote is both delightfully intuitive and unnervingly foreign," wrote The Age's Jason Hill.

The Sunday Herald Sun yesterday ran a half-page spread on Wii and also spoke of their delight. "We had an exclusive play with a prototype of Nintendo's next-generation offering and came away seriously impressed."

Nintendo Australia confirmed to the outlets involved that it is indeed on track for a pre-Christmas 2006 launch and said that the launch date and price details will be announced within the next fortnight.

Although that info is not official, i busted out the currency converter.

Turns out 330 Australian $ is around £133 here, so if this info is true it'd be amazing.

I preger Big Tac by a long shot.

Shit ... you should correct your typos. Seriously.

For a moment I thought you were "preggers", then I thought you got Big Tac knocked up. Not sure how either would have worked though. You scared me.

:laughing:

are australians big on games or do they have too much good weather and wide open spaces?

Na just wide open playstation morons.

This is good news, it's great to see the wii getting more marketing in australia.

Na just wide open playstation morons.

To a tee...

Good article, encouraging signs, hopefully this will continue and ultimately translate into sales as Nintendos reputation has had a serious hiding downunder recently [The console market that is, Handheld supremecy still remains] with GC almost being non existant and/or being ridiculed by Playstation fanatics aplenty.

On an unrelated note, I am very much looking forward to the follow up for this creation...

gaystation.jpg

^^^lol! Pity playstation arent that innovative. They'd be able to make every gay guy and girl into a playstation fan.

...would it come with inbuilt rumble? aka vibration?

I preger Big Tac by a long shot.

i dont.

smalltac ~ cynical aussie person who reports what they see

bigtac ~ mystery man who likes taking guesses and stirring up this forum.

To a tee...

Good article, encouraging signs, hopefully this will continue and ultimately translate into sales as Nintendos reputation has had a serious hiding downunder recently [The console market that is, Handheld supremecy still remains] with GC almost being non existant and/or being ridiculed by Playstation fanatics aplenty.

On an unrelated note, I am very much looking forward to the follow up for this creation...

gaystation.jpg

I dont know what to say about this....:shock:

i dont.

smalltac ~ cynical aussie person who reports what they see

bigtac ~ mystery man who likes taking guesses and stirring up this forum.

I thought they were one and the same. If I remember, BigTac forgot the password to the BigTac account, and made SmallTac right before E3.

To a tee...

gaystation.jpg

i like it!The only reason i would ever buy a sony product and its innovative so its all fake:(

I thought they were one and the same. If I remember, BigTac forgot the password to the BigTac account, and made SmallTac right before E3.

NO....................................:angry:

my goodness a austrailian newspaper likes wii..................WHO CARES!i dont even care if u are austrlian

my goodness a austrailian newspaper likes wii..................WHO CARES!i dont even care if u are austrlian

So don't post in this topic dude...because there are a lot of people who do care. Don't be so selfish.

So don't post in this topic dude...because there are a lot of people who do care. Don't be so selfish.

Gotta agree with you here.

Nintendo have got to rectify problems in Australia. Gamecube sales and support for that region were terrible. This is a pretty good start, but they need to capitalise on it.

acrually that point didnt sound right.i meant to say that u shouldnt care yourself if u are austrilian because its a tabloid the very same people that give the harry potter games full marks lol

Nintendo have got to rectify problems in Australia. Gamecube sales and support for that region were terrible. This is a pretty good start, but they need to capitalise on it.

That sounds suspiciously similar to another region not too far from home...

The Gamecube also did pretty crap in Japan too.

Smash Brothers was the only game to sell over a million in Japan if I am correct.

i meant to say that u shouldnt care yourself if u are austrilian because its a tabloid the very same people that give the harry potter games full marks lol

yeah but any exposure for the wii to the public is good. Fierce_LiNk is right, nintendo have a lot of work to do here.

update 2:

Australian media experiencing Nintendo's Wii

10 Sep 2006 - Nintendo impresses mainstream Australian media after hands-on offerings.

Preparations are completely underway for the Australian launch of the hotly-anticipated Wii, and news outlets have been given the opportunity to go hands-on with the console at Nintendo Australia's headquarters in Scoresby, Melbourne.

The Age and the Herald Sun have reported on their experiences, with both expressing great impressions from the revolutionary new offering.

"The latest hands-on play confirmed that gaming with the motion sensing Wii-mote is both delightfully intuitive and unnervingly foreign," wrote The Age's Jason Hill.

The Sunday Herald Sun yesterday ran a half-page spread on Wii and also spoke of their delight. "We had an exclusive play with a prototype of Nintendo's next-generation offering and came away seriously impressed."

Nintendo Australia confirmed to the outlets involved that it is indeed on track for a pre-Christmas 2006 launch and said that the launch date and price details will be announced within the next fortnight.

*cough* next fortnight *cough*

the bolded part of this quote is very encouraging. it really seems that australia isnt gonna get boned with this new system! also seems that we most likely gonna get launch info at the end of this week.

i am really liking nintendo australias approach to the wii. so good to see some sort of effort being put into the advertising. so i think this means im going to have to keep an eye on 'The Age' over the next couple of days. i believe that Thursdays Age is the one with the techy stuff in it.

Sign in to follow this