N-Europe

Steve Irwin dies

Helmsly

I'm sure if many people had got to know one of those 14 squaddies through the media and decided they were an all round great bloke who brought a smile to their face, there'd be a similar reaction to their death. As it is, I'm not ashamed to say that I'm far more gutted about Steve Irwin dying than all 14 of them dying in a war zone - that's human nature.

If you're going to take it further, the 14 soldiers have been reported in national newspapers, been a main story on TV all day, had flowers lain by people who didn't know them - how many died in road accidents that day? how many faceless statistics of starvation, war, disease, who didn't get that attention because they didn't die in a planecrash? It's not human nature to distribute an even amount of attention and public or personal greif to every single death in the world.

I will say I'm definitely more gutted about Steve than I was about, say Diana dying and remember the sickening grief circus that went on for months after that? Makes posting a thread saying you'll miss a TV presenter pale into insignificance.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was captured on film:

The accident in which Australian naturalist and TV's "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was killed was captured on video, producer and friend John Stainton has told reporters in Cairns, Queensland.

"I did see the footage and it's shocking," said Stainton. "It's a very hard thing to watch because you're watching somebody die and it's terrible."

Irwin was killed yesterday when a stingray's barb pierced his heart.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here [in the chest], and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone," explained Stainton. "That was it. The cameraman had to shut down."

He would want it this way.

Personally, I doubt he would've wanted to die at all. And certainly not at his age and leaving his children behind. Whether he died the way he wanted is irrelevant - am I the only one that feels that death can't be joked about on any level? We don't know if there's an afterlife, it's possible Steve Irwin simply no longer exists, he can't see, hear, think, breathe, be happy - nothing, he's just gone forever - all his memories, his past and future... doesn't anyone else see that there's no funny side to death?

Personally, I doubt he would've wanted to die at all. And certainly not at his age and leaving his children behind. Whether he died the way he wanted is irrelevant - am I the only one that feels that death can't be joked about on any level? We don't know if there's an afterlife, it's possible Steve Irwin simply no longer exists, he can't see, hear, think, breathe, be happy - nothing, he's just gone forever - all his memories, his past and future... doesn't anyone else see that there's no funny side to death?

Death is but an adventure.

I agree, no one knows what happens after death, and it's not funny. Moogle, that is the one Gandalf quote that I don't really agree with, no matter how ace the guy is.

Moogle, that is the one Gandalf quote that I don't really agree with, no matter how ace the guy is.

Gandalf? Is it?

And Shorty I don't think that anyone should worry about death. Afterall as you said, nobody know what happens after death, it could be something amazing. And if you do cease to exist then you would have no feelings therefore no sorrow.

GOD! give me a spue bucket. christ almighty the guy is dead it is sad but all this "i am so sad what a hero" bollocks is just too far. i can safely assume no one here actually knew the guy personally. he could have been a complete dick. all you know is what was shown on tv.

so ok it is sad. make a thread to inform others and for others to post views but all this hollier than thou crap is unneccessary.

all this hollier than thou crap is unneccessary.

Tell me about it, some people round here must be getting saddle sore up on their high horses.

I've seen the funny pictures posted on many a forum yesterday, and this is the only one where anybodys been throwing their dummys out of their prams.

Strange thing is I don't remember any sort of uproar when all the funny pictures appeared following the Popes death.

don't sigh and give up shorty, many of us here agree whole-heartedly with you, i'm just going to ignore those that wish to joke about someone dying. they'll meet their maker some day and as g'kar said "the wheel turns", or in a more matter-of-fact way, what goes around comes around.

and if anyone wants to say he was a hero to them, or to people they knew, or to their children, they are entitled to. he WAS a hero of mine, as i have a huge fascination with sharks and he did so much to help preserve certain species from extinction.

he'll be greatly missed, and i mean that.

don't sigh and give up shorty, many of us here agree whole-heartedly with you, i'm just going to ignore those that wish to joke about someone dying. they'll meet their maker some day and as g'kar said "the wheel turns", or in a more matter-of-fact way, what goes around comes around.

and if anyone wants to say he was a hero to them, or to people they knew, or to their children, they are entitled to. he WAS a hero of mine, as i have a huge fascination with sharks and he did so much to help preserve certain species from extinction.

he'll be greatly missed, and i mean that.

Im totally with you guys about the death joke things I think its sick.

exactly, so can someone delete the picture from rokhed's latest post please? some of us are taking offense at this sick humour when we've already expressed that we admired the man whose life has ended. he is only doing it now to get at us, syrely this breaks some forum rules somewhere? this thread was for those of us who wished to pay our respects.

You know what kills more than sintgrays? The lack of humour. Yup. It has killed this thread too.

steve irwin was an hilarious man, this thread SHOULD be full of the humour he brought, but not this sick tirade. this thread was created to show respect and dicuss the man, not make jokes about someone dying. anyone who makes jokes about anybody dying is sick. simple as that.

so, back to the topic, and to those of us who aren't immature idiots...

was gonna start looking thru youtube etc for some of irwin's best moments and post them on here... who's gonna join me ? :)