N-Europe

IGN... Hmmm...

AFB

That's weird. I doubt there's anyway to make a portable Cube feasible, but if they combine it with the Game Boy 3 (meaning new software) it could work out. I wouldn't buy it for the Cube games though.

I can't believe Nintendo's gone for that price. It's cheap enough, but thirty bucks down it breaks a psychological price border.

This part is just for Pedro and the other techies:

A new 750 CL line is good, that means they have put more work in it than overclocking the old Gekko. The cache distribution is a bit strange though. 256k L1 and 512k L2 is very good, but there seems to be a lot of L1 compared to L2... The division is 2:1 while usually it's 4:1 or 8:1. Oh well I suppose they have a reason for that.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think something in that news story is 100% true!

Otherwise nothing should have been taken away!

Anyway, alot of people are probably fed-up of waiting so all these rumours about dates was always going to happen!

August 23rd Nintendo, otherwise it's getting stupid!

Never have a company released Launch details 1 1/2- 2 months before release!

I think we need to be told now and put all these rumours to rest!

GC handheld? YES PLEASE if it's cheap! :-D

Whats the bettings they show us a new GBA but say 'You have to wait a little longer for Wii launch details!'

PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I rather have the Wii details!

A PSP style handheld wouldn't be bad. the thing is, they WOULD need an angle that made it stand out.

if it was basically a GBA+ then I wouldn't get it, it would have to offer something the DS doesn't, and it would have o do it well, and the added feature would have to be compelling.

Nintendo has no presence at TGS. No booth, no keynote. Nada. Zip. Nothing.

Really? I'm surprised about that seeing as Nintendo unveiled the controller there last year.

Coming to think of it, I can't believe that was 11 months ago, it seems so much closer.

why are they so long in releasing the release date!

if they had released the price at e3 then they would have completely trashed sony!

Well to be fair they couldnt release a concrete price, given Nintendo's past history of chucking in a few extra gimmicks into the consoles at the last miniute. Kudos to them for releasing a price boundary however, its just as effective.

why are they so long in releasing the release date!

if they had released the price at e3 then they would have completely trashed sony!

They did trash sony anyway. Anyway, i'm refusig to believe all unsourced information at the moment. Its only like 20 days until everything will/should be revealed.

Everyone seems to be rumour mongering to get hits on their site. whats th best way to add validity to a rumour? remove it, and everyone instantly things its true.

I've been thinking about this for a while...

I really reckon the Portable gamecube will be the next Gameboy.

Think about it... Nintendo spent a long time saying "DS is not the new Game Boy." and why? maybe because the game boy has always gone down a traditional gaming route... it's always been about upgrades to graphics and sounds, not really to gameplay.

The other thing is... why would nintendo spend so much time and effort making the Wii backwards compatible? AND in such a special way? They have made the world's first multi-sized-disc slot-loading drive, and it's only there to support a pretty-much failed console?? I somehow doubt it. Nintendo were the one company who didn't need to support backwards compatibility... unless... ...

If they make the next Gameboy a portable gamecube, then people will be able to play the new games on the Wii as well... increasing the amount of games available for the home console, and also making it super-easy for developers due to their previous gamecube experience. Basically... people will keep making (and buying) Gamecube games. Didn't Nintendo say they wanted gamecube to continue through the Wii's lifetime?

PLUS... get this, If the DS can handle online gameplay, a new handheld gamecube will. What if New Gameboy/Portable Gamecube games are supported by Wifi Connection AND are Wii/PortableGamecube compatible? So you can play awesome quality games at home and on the move, against anyone, anywhere.

If you ask me, this just seems like too good an opportunity for old Ninty to miss... Especially as the Cube discs are already portble sized (It's like they were planning it all along!!!).

Honestly though... if there is another secret to the Nintendo Wii... I hope this is it.

As for the price and release date? yeah, kinda expecting November for uk, at a Gamecube pricepoint (£129 - £179)

they said they'd give out all info about the wii before september

yes. correct.:horse:

and ONM magazine a while back said that leipzig was the time for information.

(how many threads can i say this in???)

leipzig = august23rd, which is a week before september.

This part is just for Pedro and the other techies:

A new 750 CL line is good, that means they have put more work in it than overclocking the old Gekko. The cache distribution is a bit strange though. 256k L1 and 512k L2 is very good, but there seems to be a lot of L1 compared to L2... The division is 2:1 while usually it's 4:1 or 8:1. Oh well I suppose they have a reason for that.

Shouldn't that be 1:2 or 4:1? I mean 1 x 256 = 2 x 256 (aka 512). Furthermore I doubt that it will be a PowerPC CL - that CPU is too rare if it has been indeed built at all (IBM doesn not list it and a Google search only shows 2 sites - so I really doubt it). I thought it has only been announced by IBM but never made it into production.

A thing I wonder about is why would IBM put a 180nm outdated CPU again in production but with a 90nm SOI process? They would not need that for this CPU and the assumed clockspeed.

I still believe that Broadway will be much closer to a PowerPC 970FX:

- easy to achieve 800 - 2GHz

- good yields

- proven design

- compatibility with older PowerPC architecture

- needs only 11W at 1GHz

- Sillicon on Insulator

- 90um process

IBM and Nintendo would be stupid to use a 750 xx again.

Launch details won't be announced at leipzig, if they are i'll be hugely surprised!

In the newest ONM they state that 'September' is the month the Wii launch details will be unveiled and we still won't be told 'everything'.

Perhaps Nintendo are just going to tell us out of the blue? In....October or something....

I wouldn't get too exicted! August 23rd for Wii launch date, price and launch list? I doubt it.....i really do.

So Nintendo go all out to say

"We can't just make hardware that's more powerful than the last generation every time, we have to innovate, simplify the interface and reach out to a broader audience."

and then they're going to add

"Oh, and also, here's the next Game Boy, it's like the old Game Boy but more powerful and with a more complicated interface."

I doubt it. I think Nintendo have almost painted themselves into a corner with the whole DS/Wii generation because they can't release something that's just a more powerful version of anything they've previously released without being hypocritical to the whole Wii ethos.

But at the same time, you can't complain that if Nintendo stick to their guns, they are forced to innovate all the time and produce truly original hardware every generation.

Shouldn't that be 1:2 or 4:1? I mean 1 x 256 = 2 x 256 (aka 512). Furthermore I doubt that it will be a PowerPC CL - that CPU is too rare if it has been indeed built at all (IBM doesn not list it and a Google search only shows 2 sites - so I really doubt it). I thought it has only been announced by IBM but never made it into production.

A thing I wonder about is why would IBM put a 180nm outdated CPU again in production but with a 90nm SOI process? They would not need that for this CPU and the assumed clockspeed.

I still believe that Broadway will be much closer to a PowerPC 970FX:

- easy to achieve 800 - 2GHz

- good yields

- proven design

- compatibility with older PowerPC architecture

- needs only 11W at 1GHz

- Sillicon on Insulator

- 90um process

IBM and Nintendo would be stupid to use a 750 xx again.

The division I was talking about was L2:L1 - so that makes it 512:256 or 2:1. I bet Nintendo's gone for a relatively small L2 cache size because the 1T-SRAM has been said to work as L3 cache (in the Cube anyway), so that means they don't really need L2 cache that much. The L1 portion is pretty huge though.

Anyway what they're saying is that they've made a redesign in the 750 series (that's why IBM doesn't list it) probably so that they could retain the properties of the Gekko chip easily. IBM could probably fix a good CPU of that line still. I'm not surprised if it passes the 1 GHz barrier.

In the newest ONM they state that 'September' is the month the Wii launch details will be unveiled and we still won't be told 'everything'.

Perhaps Nintendo are just going to tell us out of the blue? In....October or something....

I wouldn't get too exicted! August 23rd for Wii launch date, price and launch list? I doubt it.....i really do.

They told us at E3 it was "by" September....

So Nintendo go all out to say

"We can't just make hardware that's more powerful than the last generation every time, we have to innovate, simplify the interface and reach out to a broader audience."

and then they're going to add

"Oh, and also, here's the next Game Boy, it's like the old Game Boy but more powerful and with a more complicated interface."

I doubt it. I think Nintendo have almost painted themselves into a corner with the whole DS/Wii generation because they can't release something that's just a more powerful version of anything they've previously released without being hypocritical to the whole Wii ethos.

But at the same time, you can't complain that if Nintendo stick to their guns, they are forced to innovate all the time and produce truly original hardware every generation.

I reckon they've already got plans for the system after Wii and even more incredible innovations up their sleeve.

there is not gonna be a gc portable, it goes against everything nintendo stand for right now! they've chosen a different path since announcing work on a new game boy a year or two ago, they're not gonna go back now! and as far as the ds being the third pillar, remember they also said that they only expected around 10% of gamers to "get" what they were doing with the DS. it's now taken off so well they're completely changing their outlook on the games industry.

and i think when the latest issue of ONM was written (couple of weeks ago remember) the german show wasn't confirmed as a big deal yet with the "wii prove our promise" statement, so the magazine was going by what it knew at the time. they are incredibly accurate but u gotta remember it's been out since last week and it takes time before that to go thru publishing and distribution.

They told us at E3 it was "by" September....

Yeah i agree, but now they are saying 'in September'

I really don't understand the hold up now! (except for Sony supposadely changing their price to compete with the Wii which they won't be able to do....)

Yeah i agree, but now they are saying 'in September'

I really don't understand the hold up now! (except for Sony supposadely changing their price to compete with the Wii which they won't be able to do....)

Where did they actually say "in September"? I know people have been saying it for a while but I haven't actually seen the source.