NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

New "twin" Worlds Found

A pair of strange new worlds that blur the boundaries between planets and stars have been discovered beyond our Solar System.

A few dozen such objects have been identified in recent years but this is the first set of "twins".

Dubbed "planemos", they circle each other rather than orbiting a star.

Their existence challenges current theories about the formation of planets and stars, astronomers report in the journal Science.

"This is a truly remarkable pair of twins - each having only about 1% the mass of our Sun," said Ray Jayawardhana of the University of Toronto, co-author of the Science paper.

"Its mere existence is a surprise, and its origin and fate a bit of a mystery."

Source:BBC

Alright, i admit it. Space is one of only things in the world that completely astounds me. It puzzles me to think that there's still a lot in the Universe that we don't know, or that we'll never know.

Yeah me to, When i think about it for too long it does my head in... Like whats beyond space and whats the point of it all and why and why and arghhhh

Weird, they orbit each other and not a star like normal planets... well, normal for us at least.

This is really quite awesome. I too am astounded by space, one of the true great mysteries that remain about our world (ya know, the world we live in encompasses the universe I suppose). Will we ever know everything about our universe?

Great stuff.

Quite amazing, I knew you find two stars orbiting each other, but planets. Weird.

So they finally found Twinrova from Meteos? Interesting... :p

Wow this is quite amazing,makes you wonder what else there is.And the fact that they circle each other is pretty cool.Hope they investigate it more sometime,maybe there's life on it o.O

Be cool to live on a planert like that :)

Good find!

Will we ever know everything about our universe?

Not until you and I have been dead for probably a million years :p

love it, what next? two black holes orbiting each other??

planets orbiting 2 suns in a figure of 8 stylee??

Interestingly, Wikipedia cites the definition of a planemo (as defined by one Gibor Basri, Professor of Astronomy at the University of California, Berkeley) as "an object [rounded by self-gravity] that does not achieve core fusion during its lifetime".

Which would include Earth and all the other planets and moons in our Solar System.

It follows that Basri defines a planet as a "a planemo that orbits a fusor", eg. a sun.

Also, according to Space.com, "[Oph1622]'s connection is so tenuous ... that a passing star or brown dwarf could permanently separate the two objects".

Best Friends 4 Ever IDST!

This is interesting. I'm sure New Scientist will ahve something more in depth about it next issue.

Wooooah, it'll be like Aether and Dark Aether!! Awesome!

I was considering mentioning that. But since it's a plain copy of A Link To The Past I didn't. Regular and Dark Hyrule, 'For the win'...

Wooooah, it'll be like Aether and Dark Aether!! Awesome!

Was waiting for that ;)

I would love for them to find something a bit more, mysterious or unexplained than that, like inter dimensional portals or something. It would just completely shatter the mythos that, basically the universe is not a simple or basic thing, if you understand what i mean, something to make people believe, if you like....

It would just completely shatter the mythos that, basically the universe is not a simple or basic thing, if you understand what i mean, something to make people believe, if you like....

I dont know anyone who believes the universe to be a simple and basic thing.

I dont know anyone who believes the universe to be a simple and basic thing.

I couldnt put it in a better more understandable way because even i cant get get a firm idea of what would take peoples mythos of the universe one step further...

I guess thats kindof a better explaination:heh:

So if they orbit each other and not a star does that mean there's no light on them?

Yeah there would be no light on them or next to none which severly damages life being on it like shadowv7 had suggested.

Well judgeing by their size, they are gas giants, an pretty large ones. So no life. I'm guessing there still too small to start emitting light, hence they aren't stars. So no, no light, except starlight.

They arn't actually that mysterious or wierd. The sun and planets formed for the condensing of a nebulae (one caused by a supernova, sol is a second of third generation star, due to the presence of heavy elements like lead and uranium). If a slightly smaller nebulae condensed I dont know why two objects smaller than stars shouldn't exist. It's just their hard to detect as they don't give off light.

I'm pretty sure they found 2 (or more) Black holes that orbit each other. Theres no reason why they shouldn't, although due to the fact both are gaining mass its more of a spiraling into each other. They'll eventually become one black hole, well according to theory. Also there are systems with three suns orbiting each other. Due to the size of the universe (its not infinite), there'll probably be the odd sytem with even more stars, although the chances of them not destroying each other eventually is quite slim, but possible.

Technically, light isnt need for life. water and hydrocarbons seem to be the main factors.

Ooooo I heard about this the other day. Some freaky shizzle, especially how they orbit each other and not a star...Weird...

Ooooo I heard about this the other day. Some freaky shizzle, especially how they orbit each other and not a star...Weird...

Well, some planet(oid)s orbit each other AND a star, like Pluto and Charon (their barycenter is in between both of the planets, in space).

This is just the same thing happening, but with no star. It doesn't seem that weird to me

I didnt know that they was pictures of them. Anyone got a link.

I know light isnt needed for life but im sure that theirs more likely a chance if there is light and water.