NEurope
Helmsly

Sonic And The Secret Rings

The jury's still out for me on this one.. I wanted to like it so much, but I'm yet to get over the initial stages of slowness and awkward control. The look of the game is mesmerisingly gorgeous at times.. I'm particularly taken with Levitated Ruin! Wish the music had been more in the vein of classic Sonic - something with a bit more character and intricacy, and more tailored to the fairytale setting would have been preferable. Comically-generic 'angst-rock' really isn't my thing.

Finished the Last chapter last night.

Quite a nice game in general. Visually great looking, very nice art direction, the gameplay while heavily flawed is still engaging and fun and despite seeming like an odd addition to a Sonic game the customisation works very well, though it does present the problem of not giving the best game control until later into the game, meaning a lot of people could be turned off by initial impressions. Music I actually liked although as a whole the soundtrack was nothing outstanding.

Overall I'd rate it like 7.5 to 8, certainly better than recent tripe, although I did definitely enjoy Sonic Rush more.

The fire boss was graphically on par with some 360 games I thought by the way, that utterly shocked me when playing it.

This game seriously annoys me... I got it on Friday and played it for the second time yesterday. I was on the dinosaur world where you had to run away from the triceratops at the start. Why the hell do they turn the f*cking camera to face you when you're trying to run AWAY? I couldn't see where I was going and I just ended up slowing down and getting trampled by them a few times.

The camera angles in some parts of the stages really annoy me and usually when they switch to a reverse or side view it takes all the control away, all you do is sit there for 20 seconds while sonic runs around on his own.

You're supposed to watch the triceratops. The one that wobbles will attack you. There's nothing in front of you in that section unless you run to the extreme right or left.

Give the game time, all of those things is stuff you'll figure out eventually. Unlike previous Sonic games there's nothing in here that deliberately fucks you up unfairly or without reason.

The fact that Sonic does a lot of stuff on his own.. well, I agree, and that's part of why this can't be the ultimate Sonic game for me. Even with the huuugely improved camera in Sonic The Hedgehog, people had diffiiculty adjusting it properly, so this is prolly the only way to give everyone a solid chance at getting good at the game.

UK Charts

1 1 FINAL FANTASY XII SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

2 2 CRACKDOWN REALTIME WORLDS MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

- 3 THE SIMS 2: SEASONS MAXIS EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

3 4 FIFA 07 EA CANADA EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

- 5 SONIC AND THE SECRET RINGS SONIC TEAM SEGA SEGA

Wahey!

Yay in the Top 5 :D

Well done Sonic Team!

It deserves it aswell.

Sonic Games:

SEGA Studios USA (ie: Sonic Team USA)

-Sonic Adventure 2/Battle (DC/GC) 2001

-Sonic Heroes (GC/PS2/XB) 2003

-Shadow the Hedgehog (GC/PS2/XB) 2004

-Sonic the Hedgehog (360/PS3) 2006

SEGA General R&D Dept. 1 (ie: ex-UGA staff)

-Sonic Riders (GC/PS2/XB) 2005

-Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) 2007

Dimps Co. (ie: ex-SNK staff)

-Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure (NGPC) 2000

-Sonic Advance (GBA) 2001

-Sonic Advance 2 (GBA) 2002

-Sonic Advance 3 (GBA) 2004

-Sonic Rush (DS) 2005

Backbone Entertainment (ie: ex-Digital Eclipse staff)

-Sonic Rivals (PSP) 2006

It is welldone SEGA General R&D Dept. 1.

Sonic Games:

SEGA General R&D Dept. 1 (ie: ex-UGA staff)

-Sonic Riders (GC/PS2/XB) 2005

-Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) 2007

I take it SEGA General R&D Dept 1 is the same as Global Entertainment R&D Dept.#1

Well done to Global Entertainment R&D Dept.#1 :heh:

What is the multiplayer like? Does it remain smooth and fluid or does it slow down and become unplayable like in Excite Truck?

IT seems like many Wii games everyone has a totally different opinion, especially on the controls. Makes it very confusing.

What is the multiplayer like? Does it remain smooth and fluid or does it slow down and become unplayable like in Excite Truck?

It's totally seperate to the main game.

IT seems like many Wii games everyone has a totally different opinion, especially on the controls. Makes it very confusing.

Why do people keep saying the Excite Truck multiplayer's unplayable?!?! :wtf:

It's FINE!!!

Just got the game, I'm not very far ahead but it's very fun. This is what Sonic should be about running ahead. The stop jumping takes awhile to get used to, but after that it's pretty cool. I also like the RPG elements and love the cutscene. I also like the fact that Sonic talks with Shahara throughout the level.

I also like the fact that Sonic talks with Shahara throughout the level.

You actually like that? That's one of my gripes with this game, it's something that's carried over from the other recent 3d Sonic's which most people find annoying, endless chatter with absolutely nonsense dialouge and horrible timing so half the time Sonic is saying "whoa!" before something has even happened.

It'd be fine if it was occasional but she repeats like the same damn instructions throughout half the game....and how many times do I need to hear "Erazor's henchmen!"?

It's one of those things, like people thinking Navi is bothersome and Tingle a horrible character. I don't agree with any of those.

Game definately gets better after a while and gets really fun though I still think jumping is an absolute joke, so flawed it's crazy. Worlds are very colourful and detailed.

Party mode is pretty cool. The trasure hunt one is quite a nice idea.

Cutscenes in storyboard fashion seem like a cheap/quick way of getting around the need to move the story along.

Also, "Erazor Djinn"?? LOL, nice name. Not helped by the fact that Shahara says it around three times in pretty much every cutscene.

Oh and there are a fair few levels that are still completely pointless, and I still don't know who Uhu is I keep racing in every world.

The various ways of transport that Sonic are quite refreshing most of the time.

I miss the way in Sonic 1 and 2 every time you got hit your rings would fly out from you and you were able to pick them up again. It was a nifty little animation.

Time break is awesome, speed break less so. You shouldn't have to use up all your soul metre by pressing the button once, it should be on/off depending on how long you keep the button pressed.

Still haven't figured out how to do a turbo start, or a backwards jump.

Time break is awesome, speed break less so. You shouldn't have to use up all your soul metre by pressing the button once, it should be on/off depending on how long you keep the button pressed.
You press once to start speed (or time) break and again to stop it.

Still haven't figured out how to do a turbo start, or a backwards jump.
Push forward like you do for a homing attack between "1" and "Go" for a turbo start.

Backwards jump is done by turning the wiimote upsidedown and pressing 2.

You need the relevant skills equipt on your ring of course.

I found turning the speech to Jap and leaving English subtitles made the voices infinitely better, a lot of the random lines & "whooaa"s, etc make more sense when it sounds more like a crazy anime episode.

I don't know if anyone has posted this already, can't see it but Nintendo World Report (formly Planet Gamecube) reviewed it:

Score

Graphics 9.0

Sound 6.5

Control 5.0

Gameplay 3.5

Lastability 8.5

Final 5.0

yep just a five.

Guys, In your opinions is this game as good, better or worse than Excite Truck...cos' I like Excite Truck.

Guys, In your opinions is this game as good, better or worse than Excite Truck...cos' I like Excite Truck.

Yeah I've been wondering this too. Only to those who have both, which is better? I can't really afford either but I must get one of them!

I had more fun playing Excite Truck. I couldn't put the Wii remote down for that but with Sonic I find I get bored after about 20 minutes (then maybe go back to it an hour later)

Having said that there's a hell of a lot more stuff to do in Sonic and it's like a big adventure, whereas Excite Truck is a pick up and play arcade racer.

It's close, but overall I would say Sonic. It's longer, more fun and looks nicer.