NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ocelot

One MAJOR thing thing that worries me about Wii, and could be its downfall...

Woah, Ani I don't like this thread either but chill man, he's not worth your typing time. Plus I like you so don't get banned k?

One game with a possible great storyline is "Sadness" it's set in the 1920's and is pure horror, so potential there, and also Suda 51's "Heroes." If Heroes has the same level of storytelling as "Killer7" then I will be pleased.

Whats the Natural Disaster game called again......?? Dammit I cant think.....

Thats gotta have a good storyline to it?

And Mario will have (the same) story to it! Rescue the Princess.

Rayman will have a wacky but (probably) brilliant storyline to it.

I cant think anymore, my brain feels like it has a melon skewered inside it.....ouch.....:cry:

I agree that the title of the thread doesn't reflect what you say you were wanting to ask, but whatever;

I can't really see how you can say the Wii hasn't got any games what so ever with a great story, because there are many of them!!

There are games with a great story, games with great gameplay and games with great gameplay and a great story!!

The Wii is win win in that respect IMO!

Looking at the games that I want on Playstation 3 I realised that they were all story driven games.

What worries me is that gameplay is all nice and lovely, but without a good storyline to back it up, it will seem like an empty shell, well that's my opinion.

I believe game franchises like; Metal Gear Solid, Jak and Daxter and Half Life sell so well is not just the gameplay but the story as well.

So far there isn't one game for the Wii which has a kick ass storyline, this to me could be the downfall of the console.

Opinions?

BEHOLD:

tetris.jpg

Personally, I thought the storyline in the original metroid prime was shit. It was almost non-existent. The game focused too much on just walking back and forth and getting powerups. Seriously, that's all the objective of the game was. collecting all the power-ups. Personally, I prefer to have a bit more depth in a story. Sure there was a storyline, but it was pretty weak if you ask me, and it didn't feel like Samus' true mission. I mean, you go and get a power-up, and then you wonder round 4 a short while, and then u get a location on the map. And it was yet another power-up. Prime 2 did have a far superior storyline, but again, the exploration thing ruins it for me.

That's because the primes are gaidens, and were only made because they needed a new metroid game and the story has practically killed itself already, most people thought it was fun because of the gameplay, not the story, and it is rated as one of the best games for gamecube still.

The title of the thread is bit dramatic.

But i beleive people notice gameplay over Story

you all smell.

anyway, seeing as ive just got into the mood of this whole thread (which is just a slanderfest unto itself.) im gonna tell you what gives me the incentive to get games.

a) fun

hmmm.. i think that concludes my list.

but seriously. i love a good story. but there that doesnt matter if the game doesnt suit my taste.

examples (little bit random)

==============================================

+project hammer.+

even if this game is injected with an awesome storyline (which it might well have already... i dont know), hammer swinging game aint my favourite.

+eternal darkness+

this game has got a good storyline. but lets get real, the game is friggen basic! i mean, if the sanity system wasnt in the game, i dont think i ever would have enjoyed it.

+mario sunshine/mario64+

both have same general story.

princess gets captured, mario comes in for the save.

BUT MARIO64 IS SUPERIOR!!!!! it just has a certain charm that the other doesnt.

+killer 7+

story = wtf?

gameplay = use A button to run. shoot 'smiles'.

art - very cool.

+starfox adventures+

good story, good graphics. good gameplay.... but why dont i like it??? grrrr.

+chrono trigger+

good everything. best game ever created

===================================================

so anyway. that probably doesnt help my cause at all, because most of what i have said is very contradictory.

but it all boils down to 'different games are charming for different reasons'. you dont need a story for a good game (eg. tetris, mariokart, smash bros). and you clearly dont need awesome graphics.

not all of the wii titles will be 'silly fun games'. there will be stories for those who are concerned.

First of all, saying Wii won't be a success, based on the fact that, you 'think' Wii won't have any (or many) games with deep storylines is just absurd.

Second of all, this comment is just ridiculous...

- Originally Posted by Ocelot...

So far there isn't one game for the Wii which has a kick ass storyline, this to me could be the downfall of the console.

I mean, how do you know Wii won't have any or many games with great story?

Ok, fair enough, Zelda, MP and many other Nintendo-made franchises (story wise) are getting a bit boring. But what about the 3rd party companies, surly at least one company can make a game for Wii which has a deep and encapsulating story?

Here's my final verdict;

Games with a deep story are important, but it's not everybody's cup of tea, and saying that the console will fail because of this is ridiculous.

Most of my friends (who are mostly, pretty much all Playstation fans) don't like games with story (unless it's like an RTS or FPS game) because they would rather just turn on the console and start playing the game, instead of reading / listening to some game character rant on about the end of the world, etc etc...

Now i'm not saying the whole demograph of the games industry is based on my group of friends, but there are a lot of people who don't give a rats-arse about story lines, and there are just as many (if not more) people who would rather play the game (aka... PES, FIFA, Call of Duty, various sports games, etc...) for it's gameplay rather than it's story. Unless of course it's a game driven by a major story-line aka an RPG.

Anyway, Sorry for going on a bit, and I hope Wii is the console you are hoping for. :)

A story is very important in some games, but don't fool yourself into thinking a FPS like Red Steel will actually have a decent story. FPS's never do, there are very little exceptions, the only one that I can think of that has something like a story is the Halo series and that's still a very basic one.

I would have to agree and disagree to the story of a game making the games sell more. It's just that at the moment they haven't got games with good storylines, but in the future there may well be some. Also, people might by the game more, simply because they just like the game itself in general, without there being a storyline.

im gonna tell you what gives me the incentive to get games.

a) fun

hmmm.. i think that concludes my list.

In summary , amen to that.

Personally, I thought the storyline in the original metroid prime was shit. It was almost non-existent. The game focused too much on just walking back and forth and getting powerups ...

I really loved the story of Prime. The way you have to scan lots of stuff to make sense of what's going on is great I think

Storyline is about as important as graphics.

lol no without graphics there woulnt be no game,without story there would still be a game(tetris)

I would say like this, a game with a good story can still be rather worthless if it's gameplay sucks, a game with great gameplay can still be rather awsome even if it's story sucks.

Sure, sometimes a great combo is definatly the best.

lol no without graphics there woulnt be no game,without story there would still be a game(tetris)

Ha, wrong. Did you never play any text-based adventure games on pc?

I thought the comparison was quite accurate, actually. Some people only play games with good graphics/story, some think it's more or less irrelevant. But improvements in story/graphics will always be nice.

----

To anyone who thought Prime had a bad story, you probably didn't scan anything. But it isn't a traditional story really. Most games will present you with some dialogue to set the scene, then you fight someone, then you get more dialogue to advance the plot. Prime's story was far more immersive- the story was formed by the events happening to you.

I played games with story on my SNES. Oh and check the best selling games of all time, story isn't a common factor shared by those games.

Ha, wrong. Did you never play any text-based adventure games on pc?

Technically, text is a form of graphic..

To anyone who thought Prime had a bad story, you probably didn't scan anything. But it isn't a traditional story really. Most games will present you with some dialogue to set the scene, then you fight someone, then you get more dialogue to advance the plot. Prime's story was far more immersive- the story was formed by the events happening to you.

Well said, the Prime story was better and more immerse than most games.

Sure, that's why Super Mario Bros 3 was so brilliant game. :laughing:

"Fat plumber with red overalls runs around the world, trying to rescue princess from evil Koopa"

Ok, fair enough, Zelda, MP and many other Nintendo-made franchises (story wise) are getting a bit boring.

Well we can be assured that Mario will be running along to the right to save Princess again at some point in the future :heh:

Great story. :)

Not a lot of games actually have genuinly good stories to tell, and some of the ones that do don't sell all that great. There are a few, like Half-Life and a couple of the better Final Fantasy's, but otherwise most wouldn't stand up intact as a genuinly good novel or even film. If a good story alone made a good game, why didn't Eternal Darkness massively outstrip the pantomime antics of the Resident Evil series? Why did we ever care about Pokemon? Who plays Tetris anymore? Is there a deep politicial subtext in Mario Kart I'm missing? Why isn't Super Monkey Ball Adventure better then the original purely puzzle based game? And so on and so forth...

Sign in to follow this