NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Blackfox

National Service.. Good/Bad?

Just watched some of this Bad Lad's Army - for those who don't know its a TV show where social devients and miscrents are put through national service - 1950s style..

Anyway, it got me thinking.. would mational service improve this country? What about forcing criminals to do national service?

There are good points and bad point:

The pros are that it would teach these little shits how to look after themselves, gives them a trade (in some circumstances), and teaches them self respect and to basically behave. It gets people fit - eating the right food and taking care of their bodies which will hopefully stop the wave of obesity in times to come. It also ensures that criminals could be properly rehabilitated, puts something back into the country and gives someof the most disadvantaged a chance to shine and do well - giving them a job for life.

The cons - 6 weeks of being taking away from your friends and family forcing you to do something that you don't necessaraly want to do. It trains people to be killers which some people would hate. Also, the very real chance of being called out to war and death.

Im pretty divided over this - I thnk it would be great to clean the streets of chavs and the such and hopefully transform them into respectable people. Although it is unfair to make people do someting they don't want to do. I would probably be in favour of making criminals do say, 3 years, of national service instead of prison.

Anyway, what do you think?

I really do think those with ASBO's should be put into this, but knowing the retards in this country, they wont learn anything.

Well I wouldn't want it. And it may train some criminals how to kill people more efficiently.

But yeah the criminals who were deemed "appropriate." Send them, seems like a good punishment to me.

What about forcing criminals to do national service?

No. No, no, no.

No more soldiers.

I wouldnt mind it personally, due to the Pros that you listed, however, it should always be a choice. And frankly i dont want to go fight in a war, especially one i wouldnt agree with.

Just send them to Iraq/Afghanistan/Lebanon WITHOUT training, use them as cannon fodder.

Bad - you can get taken to war for something you don't believe in even when you had no wish to join the army!

I can't go to Iran because they'd throw me in National Service. Even though I'm a British Citizen, it's happened to my Dad's friend's son!

Hey, I spent 12 months (362 days) in the service. What's six weeks compared to that? The basic training period was longer than that. Although this might be seen stupid as this country is not fighting any wars. But it's basically compulsorary for men here to do that (well there's a couple of options but I won't get into details). And women can go if they want to.

And I have to say that it does every pro that blackfox listed.

But the closest thing to any real 'action' for me would come if I went on to UN's peacekeeping forces.

I dunno pros and cons. I am thinking about either becoming a chaplian in the army, or just jioning the TA.

I always used to think TA stood for "The Army" :/

I guess it's good overall, they usually come out good

I find the entire idea to be a joke. You don't live in a free country if you're forced into service.

As punishment for their crimes, they should be made the endure training to become a SOLDIER. But then as a bonus, not forgetting the bread and butter soldiers we all enjoyed as kids, they should be hung upside down and dunked into a giant, boiling hot, runny egg.

If there was such thing as respawn, war would be awesome :P

Unforch, we don't have that.... ;)

I wouldnt mind 6 months national service, If it were compulsery then they wouldnt be able to take you out the country in that period, ie no real fighting, (unless england was being invaded). I think it would do all the pros that blackfox raised, and eliminates the major con. Alot of teenagers today need a bit of discipline, and offenders and such usually feel at home in the army as it gives them the dicipline they need. People who do well or enjoy it would be able to continue after that time. It gives people the option if they wanted.

People would complain at first but they'd get used to it. I'd prsonally like it as it would have given me something useful to do between A-level and uni (good time to do it, or after GCSE's if people drop out). It would solve alot of social problems that england is facing today, aswell as eliminate some unemployment.

So yea, im all in favour of it, as long as you couldnt be called to fight, or put in a conflict area in the compulsory time.

I think different people respond differently to this sort of thing. Would the "general" response be good? I really don't know.

I'm a firm believer that all problems in our society is a result of the rest of our society. Invisible complex links and many degrees of separation make all of us responsible for the problems of our society, in ways that are often too deep for most of us to realise. Because of this, I've always believed that the ultimate cure for crimes/wars/poverty etc is to change not criminals, but the attitude of those of us who are supposedly "good" and "law-abiding". Obviously, we need to implement short-term goals too, which would involve reforming criminals. But to me, this is nothing but sweeping the whole issue under the carpet.

I have a good reason to believe that this is hard to realise for most of us as we are by nature short-termists. And so the history is bound to repeat itself as we all repeat the same errors.

The only real con I see is it being against liberties. But if you gave a criminal a choice you could get rid of that con and hopefully make him an ex con! sorry.

I think it's an excellent idea, and personally I would love to have the chance to do something like this.

I think it's an excellent idea, and personally I would love to have the chance to do something like this.

Join the Air Cadets then. I did it when I was 13, and I liked it. You get to fly light aircraft like the Grob Tutor, shoot on firing ranges, stay at RAF bases, do the Duke of Edinburgh's Award, and know that you kick the shit out of the Army Cadets.

I think National Service should be compulsory. If it was it might stop the nations of the world breeding FAT men. 6 months compulsory service would mean shit hard training drills. If youwere fat going in you'd be fit coming out.

I think every boy should have to do it once they turn 18 for at least 6 months if not 2 years.

Since im too old to be for it I think its a great idea, will get those wee shits off the streets.

Sign in to follow this