Stocka

Football Season 2006/2007

My team of the season:

James

Carragher, Vidic, Terry, Shorey

Ronaldo, Gerrard, Scholes, Giggs

Drogba, Berbatov

Subs: Reina, Carvalho, Arteta, Rooney, Mccarthy

wtf has Gerrard done this season to be included above Essien, who has had a stonking season.

James

Finnan Vidic Dawson Evra

Ronaldo Essien Scholes Barry

Drogba McCarthy

Finnan in by default couldnt think of another right back who even had an average season. Was a tough call between Benni and Berbatov but scoring 18goals for Blackburn is impressive whatever way you look at it. Rest of the side picks itself imo.

Edit: Forgot subs: Reina, Agger, Berbatov, Tevez, Gerrard

Ronaldo - fair enough

Giggs - past it

Scholes - past it

Carrick - shit

Nani - unproven

Anderson - unproven

Park Ji-Sung - shit

Fletcher - shit

Hargreaves - shit

Richardson - shit

what are you on? carrick, hargreaves shit? they would walk into pretty much any midfield in the premiership and there is not a chance that Scholes is past it, he has been on the Prems best players this season, Giggs may be getting older and slower but he has lost none of his skill or his vision!

Ronaldo - Awesome

Giggs - Important Player

Scholes - Deadly Underrated, Most Important player in United Squad IMO

Carrick - Overrated...Not worth the money anyway

Nani - Can't Say Not Seen Him

Anderson - See Above

Park Ji-Sung - Half Decent

Fletcher - Shit

Hargreaves - Underrated

Richardson - shit

A much better view of them...agree with Carrick, whilst he is good, he was never worth the money they paid.

wtf has Gerrard done this season to be included above Essien, who has had a stonking season.

James

Finnan Vidic Dawson Evra

Ronaldo Essien Scholes Barry

Drogba McCarthy

Finnan in by default couldnt think of another right back who even had an average season. Was a tough call between Benni and Berbatov but scoring 18goals for Blackburn is impressive whatever way you look at it. Rest of the side picks itself imo.

Edit: Forgot subs: Reina, Agger, Berbatov, Tevez, Gerrard

Gerrard has done nothing in comparison compared to his other seasons, but has been one of the better players in that position none the less. Essien really never came to my mind.

Finnan howeve has been the most consistent performer in the Liverpool squad for the past 3 seasons. Ahead of Carra and Gerrard, Finnan is the man.

He has easily been the best RB in the league during that time and has only missed out due to his lack of goals, which in my view is not a problem because he more than make up for that, with his performances and reliablity in that position for such a long time.

Finnan is a legend!

My team of the season

James

Finnan Vidic Terry Evra

Ronaldo Essien Scholes Giggs

Drogba Berba

Subs: Reina, Rio, Barry, Taylor, Tevez

No mention of Toure, Gilberto, Clichy or Adebayor makes me sad. Surely one of them gets a sub shout?

No mention of Toure, Gilberto, Clichy or Adebayor makes me sad. Surely one of them gets a sub shout?

maybe next season :)

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=reds-threaten-baines-deal%26method=full%26objectid=19219616%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Reds threaten Baines dealMay 30 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United transfer target Leighton Baines could have his head turned by Liverpool after his boyhood heroes joined the race to sign him from Wigan Athletic.

The England Under-21 defender had told a close pal in football he’d love to be pulling on a black-and- white shirt next season and running out at St James’ Park after deciding his days were numbered at the Latics.

Left-back Baines, 22, would like to quit the JJB Stadium because his mentor Paul Jewell has left the club and he fears his international future hangs in the balance until he signs for a bigger club.

The Merseysider has been overlooked by Steve McClaren for recent senior squads with the player no longer eligible for the Under-21s after this summer’s European Championships in Holland.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

It’s no secret Newcastle are desperate for a new left-back at St James’ Park and Baines fits the bill after impressing Sam Allardyce when he was boss at Bolton.

But it’s also no secret that Baines supported Liverpool throughout his childhood before starting his career at the Liverpool Centre of Excellence and then moving on to Wigan.

That means he may find it hard to resist a move to Anfield, even though he would not be guaranteed a regular game under ‘tinkerman’ Rafa Benitez as he would at Newcastle.

Baines’ price is set at no lower than £5m but Liverpool’s interest has put another obstacle in front of Newcastle with Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton and Man United also keen.

The well-documented conflict between Sports Soccer tycoon Mike Ashley and Wigan chairman and JJB founder Dave Whelan also won’t help United’s bid to win his services.

Whelan once reportedly cautioned his business rival Ashley and said: “There’s a club in the North, son, and you're not part of it.”

And a close friend of Baines said: “He is keen on Newcastle but feels that there could be issues between two of the main figures at the respective clubs.”

Personally I Would love Baines at Liverpool, It would surely give us the best defence in the premiership now

Finnan Carra Agger Baines

Maybe it's late, but can somebody tell me why Manchester United needs Anderson, Hargreaves and Nani?

Yeah, I understand Anderson, and Nani is fair enough, but I really feel getting Owen Hargreaves is like saying 'Wow, check out the amount of money we have!'. Reckon he'll be right back most of the time, he's not better than Carrick.

Yeah, I understand Anderson, and Nani is fair enough, but I really feel getting Owen Hargreaves is like saying 'Wow, check out the amount of money we have!'. Reckon he'll be right back most of the time, he's not better than Carrick.

Hes much better than Carrick.

Evra Rio Vidic Neville >>>>> that defence

replace Evra with Heinze and you may have a point, Evra is woeful defensively

As well as being a completly different type of player to Carrick.

Carrick is a Pirlo esq player, someone capable of sitting back and being able to start attacks by making pinpoint passes all over the pitch. Haregreaves on the other hand is very much a Gattuso/ Makelelelelelelele type player the one who stops the oppositions attack before it gets to the defence. Basicaly with they signings they've made I wouldn't be suprised to see United play a 4-5-1 next season.

------- VDS

Neville Rio Vidic Evra

-Carrick Haregreaves

-------Scholes

Ronaldo--------Nani

--------Rooney

layout wont have worked but you get the idea.

ok maybe I was a bit harsh with the woeful part, but he isn't very good defensively.

In my opinion though Man Utd should be signing a striker who can stay fit for most of the season and who can score 20+ goals, rather than doing what Spurs did a few years back and having 3 midfields worth of players :)

The Mancs are fucking desperate for some strikers, Slur Alex would be mad not to buy any this summer.

no we are not "desperate" fields...

we definetly need to bring somebody in eventually up top as ruuds replacement cos rooney isnt an out & out striker, but when you look at the two fresh faced attacking players we just bought in - our formation can definetly cope for another year, without another striker and still be a winning formula...

only strikers that have a slight chance of arriving are darren bent or huntleear...

because they are both under 10 mill in price

Baptista is on the market, if you want him. :P :)

no we are not "desperate" fields...

we definetly need to bring somebody in eventually up top as ruuds replacement cos rooney isnt an out & out striker, but when you look at the two fresh faced attacking players we just bought in - our formation can definetly cope for another year, without another striker and still be a winning formula...

only strikers that have a slight chance of arriving are darren bent or huntleear...

because they are both under 10 mill in price

No way will Huntleaar be under 10 million, 15 at the least.

As well as being a completly different type of player to Carrick.

Carrick is a Pirlo esq player, someone capable of sitting back and being able to start attacks by making pinpoint passes all over the pitch. Haregreaves on the other hand is very much a Gattuso/ Makelelelelelelele type player the one who stops the oppositions attack before it gets to the defence. Basicaly with they signings they've made I wouldn't be suprised to see United play a 4-5-1 next season.

------- VDS

Neville Rio Vidic Evra

-Carrick Haregreaves

-------Scholes

Ronaldo--------Nani

--------Rooney

layout wont have worked but you get the idea.

I agree with what you are saying but I dont think rooney can handle it up front on his own. We need a ruud type player up there.

Evra Rio Vidic Neville >>>>> that defence

Vidic you may have a point but the rest, no way on this planet, Rio Ferdinand is badly ovverated and has been poor for two seasons, the only reason he is continuously in the Ing-er-lund squad is because of the London press.

Evra is poor and Neville is clocking on, Baines looks a real prospect..

Finnan Carra Agger Baines, Any Day

how ur gonna overrate an unproven agger is hilarious...

stats dont lie - our defence > urs

Rio Ferdinand was the best defender at the world cup but what does that prove? Trevor Sinclair was pele in Korea and Japan? It means nothing if you don't win anything in it.

And Agger is going to be one of Liverpool's crucial players for years to come, and is in my view one of the best CB's in the league. It's a compliment within itself that he can continously keep Hyypia out of the squad, and come up with the odd goal or two (Something Carra cann't do itself)

Carragher will never be picked for England as long as Woodgate and Ferdinand are their, everyone knows the London press pick the England team.

Finnan bleeds class, it's saying something that Rafa rests him when he rests other big players like Carra, Gerrard, Alonso etc etc

Stats Don't Indeed Lie

Premiership Goals Conceded 06/07

Liverpool 27

Man Utd 27

Considering we pissed about the last 3 games and our best defence didn't play, I stand by my claim

Premiership Goals Conceded 05/06

Liverpool 25

Man Utd 34

We have the best defence in the league, and it just got better, well hopefully

Imo united should go after a striker. Torres ftw!

it's great buying midfielders and playing rooney upfront on his own but he's not a natural striker.

Premiership Goals Conceded 06/07

Liverpool 27

Man Utd 27

Considering we pissed about the last 3 games and our best defence didn't play, I stand by my claim

Considering we had our first choice back 4 all out at some point in the season and for a few weeks they were all all out together I think we done pretty damn good to only concede 27.

with that said, yes indeed ur defence is amongst the best in the league... but to basically slag off the defence of the premiership champions with such silly "gossipy" claims as the english press decide the england team or neville is old so he isnt good anymore - is stupid....

ferdinand pound for pound is a better all round player then jamie carragher... he has an undisputed defensive record for both club and country & has consistently performed well for both... how you can say playing well in a world cup means nothing is beyond me, the greatest competition in the world - u perform on that stage and ur some one... sure you can now comeback with the claims that senegal did well at the world cup, is diouf world class etc... but theres a big difference, rio has been great for his country and consistently club wise in europe & the best league in the world...

the lad can get forward and score goals, has a great pass completion rate, is faster then carragher, has a great defensive brain in reading situations and always shows up in the big games...

carragher lacks many of the qualities rio has and although very good for club, imo isnt good enough to start in a fully fit england squad...

It's not silly "gossipy" claims it is true The London Press pick the England Squad, hence the reason why I don't watch England much.

Carragher is priceless, and has been awesome for over 3 Seasons, as I said he will never play for England consistantly, and this is where the London press come in, remember when Carra was nailed on for a start v France, and the papers suddenly chant the name of Ledley King and he starts? Weird Huh?

I don't care much wether he will play for England or not, since when did playing for England nowadays mean anything in reguards to talent Look at Michael Ricketts the other season, Darius Vassel etc etc The whole ING-ER-LUND thing is an absolute Joke.

Now I'm not be-littling Rio's achievements but I still would not have him over Carragher. Carra has been with us since day one and has given more then Rio could ever do worth his £30mil price tag.

Carra has been a part of the best defence in England for 2 Years and has established himself as a world class defender for a very long time.

The Italian Press said

If Carragher was Italian, We would build dynstanys around him

He doesn't bottle out of challenges, wears his heart on his sleeve and above all saved my fucking english teacher : peace:

Considering we had our first choice back 4 all out at some point in the season and for a few weeks they were all all out together I think we done pretty damn good to only concede 27.

True but for Champions pretty strange?

Anyway I honestly think, we have our defence sussed and we have to fill in the following gaps if we are to seriously challenge for the league.

If we can get proven quality this season which I think we will, Maybe Just maybe we can do it

???? ?????

???? Gerrard Mascherano ????

Baines Carra Agger Finnan

Reina

We've conceded too many goals this season. But, bare in mind, at one stage in the season, our ENTIRE starting backfour were out. Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra were all out injured.

When our whole backline are playing, imo, it's the best in the league. Neville is aging, but he is experienced. With age comes wisdom, and he is not a reckless player, he's a player who thinks with his head.

Ferdinand is one of the best defenders in the country. Again, not reckless. He's usually somebody you can rely on. Vidic is pretty damn awesome in the air, and he even goes upfield and scores a few from time to time. He's getting better and better and is forming a solid partnership with Ferdinand.

Evra has been one of my players of the season. Great going forward and a good tackler. Player with pace. He will improve defensively in time, so I have faith in him.

Just last week, you had that youtube video of those Liverpool fans saying you had the best midfield in the world. You have neither the best midfield nor the best defence in the Premier League. There's no doubting you have excellent players, but whether they are the best defence or best midfield or not remains to be seen.

Regarding whether or not United need another striker. It would be great to bring in someone new. However, we had calls of this last season, and we went on to win the league, get in the FA Cup final (to lose in extra time) and to get into the Champions League Semi Final. Our season for a while. As long as you can get goals from somewhere, then it's ok. This United team is full of players who can score. I have faith in my team.

Our team is just getting stronger. Hopefully these new players we're bringing in will usher in a new era at Old Trafford. We've gone through some dark times, but now we're at the point where new, young and exciting players want to come to our club, and we have the money to bring them in. It's very exciting.