Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2006/2007

Stocka

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a feeling today would be one of those frustrating days, and it pretty much turned out that way.

We just didn't see enough of the ball. I think it's fair to say that most of the pressure was on Arsenal, and, for that reason, they just seemed to want it more. Well done, you deserve it.

I'm a bit annoyed we didn't bring Carrick and Solskjaer on earlier. We instantly played better when they arrived. Evra should have started right from the beginning. Grrr.

Well I made a statement on another forum this morning saying "If adebayor stays away from the squad line up, we may win". Oh how those words come back and slap me in the face and thankfully so. Just what we needed, a win, three points without Henry, bit of bragging rights, and for a Utd vs Arsenal match not too much aggro.

Good win for us, tainted by the so-called "'appy ammers" who I've previously always had a lot of respect for

From MediaWatch

http://www.football365.com/mediawatch/0,17033,8755,00.html

It's A Funny Old Game

"I apologise if I upset the West Ham fans. I apologise to anyone with anything to do with West Ham. The last thing I wanted to do on my return to Upton Park was to cause a riot or anything like that."

So said Glenn Roeder after watching his side beat West Ham, demonstrating once again just how crazy football is.

Roeder had endured 80 minutes of West Ham fans singing about his family and his past health problems, before applauding the travelling Newcastle fans - many of whom were just halfway through a 550 mile round-trip on a Sunday afternoon to support their side - when they sang his name in a more complimentary way than their chirpy cockney counterparts.

Roeder owes West Ham's fans very little. While he did get them relegated - on a record 42 points, mind - the unsavoury incidents that surrounded his last months at the club more than levelled the score. Few things in football have left as nasty a taste in the mouth as angry Hammers fans smashing the windows of Roeder's family home as he was recovering from life-saving brain surgery.

It's probably important to clarify here that Mediawatch does not refer to that incident as typical of West Ham fans. Every club has an undesirable element amongst its fans.

The reaction to Roeder's actions, though, suggests that about 30,000 of West Ham's undesirable element were in Upton Park on Saturday.

Worryingly, that is symptomatic of football in recent years.

It now seems to be the case that it's fine for players or managers to be the subject of 90 minutes of abuse, but any response - even one as comical as Gary Neville's celebration of ManYoo's victory over Liverpool last season - is enough to, in Roeder's words, "cause a riot".

Still, at least the Newcastle manager has had the good sense to apologise before the idiots at the FA charge him for bringing the game into disrepute or something equally ridiculous.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!