LukeLee

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

words i dont like the sound of:

moist

But it's moist....Mmmmmm moist *drool*

I don't have any I like really, but I hate words that should be uncommon but Americans like to use non-stop, such as:

Lactose-Intolerant

Hyper-ventilating

I also hate "Couch" and hate the termanology: "Blowing someone off" when used in the American-Austrailian sence since it means something COMPLETELY different over here and also makes more sence.

There are also words like "Bifidus Digestivum", "Exfoliate", "Micro Dermabrasion" and all other termanoligy used on adverts aimed at females in order to sound smart; though everyone knows they made un "Bifidus Digestivum" in a couple of seconds.

Haha I was wondering what the fascination was with us or the Scottish saying "film", I didn't realise we pronounced it differently to the Brits! So do you say "filllmm" and we say "fil-emm"?

Some Northern English accents say it too ;)

Great thread! I agree with Conzer, my favourite word is an Irish word:

Féileacán (fayle-a-kaan)

It means butterfly :) aww. He'd probably pronounce it differently to me because he lives in Wexford and I live in Belfast, so I speak Ulster Irish (obviously the canúint is fearr in Éirinn - isn't that right Conzer? :grin:)

I like crystal and sparkling as well.

Hmmmm well i will concede go bhfuil Canúint na nUladh álainn ar fad, (ach b'fhéidir go bhfuil sé saghas deacair a thuiscint!), but no I would pronounce féileacán the same way!

What I hate about the Ulster dialect is way ye pronounce "Rugadh" (rug-oo!!) or similar "-adh" words!

Hmmmm well i will concede go bhfuil Canúint na nUladh álainn ar fad, (ach b'fhéidir go bhfuil sé saghas deacair a thuiscint!), but no I would pronounce féileacán the same way!

What I hate about the Ulster dialect is way ye pronounce "Rugadh" (rug-oo!!) or similar "-adh" words!

Ugh, don't get me started on dialectic differences! I prefer the Ulster pronunciation of -adh words, I have to say. But the best is how we pronounce roghnaigh and todhchaí - yes technically it should be something like "raownee(g)" and "taowkee" but we say "rain-yee" and "taya-hee". Lol gotta love it. Donegal speakers are the best for it, I don't think Munster or Connacht speakers would have a clue if they tried staying in the Donegal Gaeltacht!

Guest Stefkov

hippopotomonstrosesquipedeliaphobia

fear of long words

also anyone know why phonietically isnt spelt fonetically? even phonetical isnt spelt fonetically.

Just co-incidence that the pronounciation of phonetically has to have a 'ph' starting else with an 'f' it would sound different i.e. fone-etically, the 'ph' takes away that extra 'e' so it sounds like fon-etically. Thats what i think anyway. It is silly though. And we wonder why Enlgish is the hardest language to learn!