NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan

Sony's lies strike again!

Sony throws party for Vaios, fakes Blu-ray demo

Posted May 16th 2006 3:25PM by Ryan Block

Who'd you think you were fooling, Sony? You go throw some big huge party celebrating the 10 year birthday of the Vaio and the launch of the Vaio UX Micro PC and your new flagship Blu-ray playing AR series 17-inch powerhouse laptop, replete with demo of early Blu-ray title House of Flying Daggers. And then you get done caught red-handed by a meddling reporter who discovered the Blu-ray playback is actually coming straight off a typical, normal old DVD+R. It's a sham, Sony, the whole thing's a sham! How are you gonna make a case for your laptop -- let alone Blu-ray as a format -- now that you tried to pawn off a DVD as a Blu-ray tech demo to a room full of industry professionals? We hope at least it was playing back a high def trailer, or something; now go to your room, you're gonna have some serious alone time, little mister.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/16/sony-throws-party-for-vaios-fakes-blu-ray-demo

Oh dear Sony...

You can probably fit 20-30 minutes of decent quality high-def footage on a regular dvd so I don't really see the problem in showing the video. Surely it's the quality of the video and the comps ability to play it at decent speed that they're showing off and not the physical media?

You can probably fit 20-30 minutes of decent quality high-def footage on a regular dvd so I don't really see the problem in showing the video. Surely it's the quality of the video and the comps ability to play it at decent speed that they're showing off and not the physical media?

Thats the thing, they basically showed the DVD. Not even a high res trailer or something.

Well that's pretty bad getting caught red handed.That's bad but funny to read.

Nice...

Almost as bad as the whole PS£ being 4D thing...

And them claiming the PS£ controller was easy to use while the guy playing it gave the impretion he was actually a drunk monkey using an old DuelShock2...

And them saying this game was using real historical Japanese battles, which perfectly explained the giant enemy crab with a weak point...

And remember, when it comes to Sony...Riiiiiiiiiiiidge Racerrrrr!!!

Nice one Sony. Seems they really have problems with their blu-ray drives but showing faked material won't help them.

The article was update:

Update: To be honest, we never thought this one would take off the way it has, but it looks like we underestimated the forensic skills of the collective. The latest word is that someone claiming to be from Sony has posted a comment on Gearlog saying that there were two laptops, one with the DVD-R of "House of Flying Daggers," and the other with the Blu-ray version, so that folks could make a side-by-side comparison. Gearlog's reporter apparently popped the latch on the DVD version, and didn't check the Blu-ray one. We have no way to independently verify this version (or Gearlog's original take), though Notebook Review does have some pics clearly showing two laptops on display at the Sony shindig. All of this leads us to one conclusion: Next time, Sony should just invite us to their parties, and we'll get it straight. And we may even like the tinfoil-flavored cake, too.

I don't quite believe this update, shouldn't there be an official press release from Sony in such a case.

I really want to believe the original article, but I'm leaning more towards the update. It sounds more plausable that they would compare the DVD footage to the Bluray footage.

well there has been nothing official and since i hate sony i will believe the first till the day i die. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ROFL. Sony caught red handed. Priceless.

Sums up exactly what I was thinking.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sign in to follow this