N-Europe

College/University Exams

conzer16

Im not in college this year (taking a year out.......long story:( )

But look at what my exam timetable is like........ouch!!

All me poor mates getting ready for a Biotech exam at 2 o'clock today!!

th_ExamTimetable.jpg

(Click to enlarge - its only a thumb)

What about everyone else? How are yours going or have you started yet?

Best of luck eitherways!

Exams here officially started today, but my first one isn't until wednesday. I'm not sure if that's good or not, I'd rather get it over with. I have 5 in total, I'm fairly confident on them all except physical geography, but since I pretty much nailed the summative essays, I can afford to do badly on the exam and still pass the module. And of course first year marks don't count towards your degree :yay:

I had that crazy General Studies shit this afternoon. I gave short, clever, but pretty silly answers. I just can't get motivated about something that literally NO ONE recognises. Well, no one on my radar.

Hey but seems that there's lots of physics and chemistry related stuff. Dont know about you but I find those pretty interesting. Exactly how in depth are those electro magnetics and thermal physichs? Because I've done courses on them in a school similar to your sixth form.

basically the path of education here: basic school (9 years)-->vocational/sixth form(finnish lukio) (3-4years)-->polytechnic/uni (? years) And basically the final step can only be uni if you have studied in the finnish lukio.

Note: I have no idea what a sixth form is. I just read somewhere that it's the closest in comparison.

In england.

Compulsory:

"Primary school" 7 Years ages 4-11

"Secondary School" 5 years ages 11-16

Optional:

"Sixth form, or College" 2 years ages 16-18

Then University 3+ years ages 18-21+

I'm currently in my first year at uni, 4 year course. When i'm finished i will have been in full time education for 18 years... but its fun!

I have maths, thermodynamics, geotechnics, fluid dynamics, geology, properties of materials, structural engineering.

ahhhh!

My University's teaching staff are taking industrial action, so pretty much all my exams got cancelled. I get the credits to get into second year too, which is awesome.

Wow, really? Most exams will have been writted before the AUT started its 'action short of a strike', so they can be sat as normal. They just won't be marked until then situation is resolved. But yours are cancelled completely? You lucky, lucky bastard (what uni is this by the way?).

In england.

Compulsory:

"Primary school" 7 Years ages 4-11

"Secondary School" 5 years ages 11-16

Optional:

"Sixth form, or College" 2 years ages 16-18

Then University 3+ years ages 18-21+

In Ireland

Compulsory:

Primary School: Age 4-11

Junior Certificate: Age 12-15

Optional: (Note: Junior+Leaving Cert+ Transition = Secondary School)

Transition Year: Age 16

Leaving Certificate:Age 17-18

College = University: Age >17/18

I'm currently in my first year at uni, 4 year course. When i'm finished i will have been in full time education for 18 years... but its fun!

I have maths, thermodynamics, geotechnics, fluid dynamics, geology, properties of materials, structural engineering.

ahhhh!

I do 4 of those!! (Maths, Thermo, Fluids and Materials!)

Oh the joy of engineering!!:cry:

Thanks for clearing that up. The compulsorary school seems to be a bit longer there, as it starts earlier. Here it starts on the year you'll turn seven.

I'm still undecided on if I'll go for uni or polytechnic. I'm a greedy bastard so I went through vocational school and lukio at the same time. That lasted 3.5 years. So basically it means I can apply for an university and I have a profession as well.

And yes engineering is fun. Chemistry and physics have always been my favorite subjects.

Im doing A level first year. It's going ok so far.

I had my French oral exam last week Friday which went really good, i made no mistakes during my speech, i couldn't believe i went through the conversation part of the exam 6 minutes of non-stop french. Thank god its over.

My next exams are:

ICT next week Thursday

French, listening, reading and wrinting next week Friday

Business Studies on June 12

Bah, physical exam on Thursday. :( Let's hope there's some questions on glaciation and Quaternary environmental change, they're about the only bits I'm good on. And I just realised I have an exam on a saturday, how shit is that?

I have 3 exams for my final year of university.

27th May : Computer Networks

30th May: Database Design

6th June: Information retrival and natural language processing

The only one to be affected by striking is the database one. But today the uni have got all hard ass on striking lecturers by saying if they dont resume marking they will be docked 15% pay. And also if we dont graduate because of strikes the students are entitled to sue the university and the university has said that it will charge any payment fees to lectureres.

So I think it will be sorted pretty soon, although in my 3 years here ive had about 2 lecturers tops who I believe deserve a pay rise.

Linkage if you care.

Thanks for clearing that up. The compulsorary school seems to be a bit longer there, as it starts earlier. Here it starts on the year you'll turn seven.

I'm still undecided on if I'll go for uni or polytechnic. I'm a greedy bastard so I went through vocational school and lukio at the same time. That lasted 3.5 years. So basically it means I can apply for an university and I have a profession as well.

And yes engineering is fun. Chemistry and physics have always been my favorite subjects.

i have read a bit about the finnish education system, it sounds very different though it does produce good results.

See, i was at school, properly (as in 9-3 5 days a week) since i was 4 years old. This is quite common in england, we start school so early i barely have any memories that were before school.

I can't imagine being at home till seven years old... it would seem weird. Do you learn to read before you go to school?

Well there is a sort of "kindergarten" that I went to twice a week when I was 3-6. And on the last year there was "pre-school". Nothing really hard, just learning the numbers and letters.

And now that I think about it, it does feel strange that I learned to read when I was seven. Then I started learning english two years after that. But I have pretty much aced every english test/exam without studying for them (Thanks to cartoons :D) And that's the reason my grammar sucks...

The pre school stuff isn't compulsorary (or at least I think it isn't...) But basically it helps alot in preparing you for school. Some learn to read before school some don't. I didn't. I remember when I was on first grade I started reading a book, and got stuck on every word containing "h" as that letter hadn't been taught to me yet :laughing:

Well the difficulty curve ramps up pretty quickly on e.g maths. On sixth grade there's basic geometry. And on the 7-9 grades there comes trigonometry, pythagoras , basic functions and equations/inequalities(is that the right word?). And basic chemistry/physics start on the seventh grade.

Vectors, differential/integral calculus, statistics/probabilities, analytic geometry etc comes in the lukio.