NEurope
Charlie

Final Fantasy XIII

Big plus on the amount of save points early on. With my Xbox prone to Disc Read Errors it could be a life saver.

Played the game for nearly 12 hours yesterday. They weren't kidding when they said it was linear. Anyway, I loved almost every moment of it so far. The battle system is fun, and even though auto-battle picks the best attacks for you it's still challenging. Think I have died about 8-10 times, three times against the same boss in less than 15 seconds before I figured out what I had to do to simply survive. And every now and then I lost against random, though numerous, enemies because I was being careless and forgot to pay attention to the hp. Lightning and Shaz or whatever his name is are awesome. I loved how yin and yang they were in the beginning. Lightning does super jumbs while Shaz climbs down, holds with both hands at the edge of the cliff, then falls. Not very fond of Vanille and Hope. Hope I can deal with but Vanille's behaviour is just too extreme. No one can be that cheery.

Edited by Tales
Automerged Doublepost

Big plus on the amount of save points early on. With my Xbox prone to Disc Read Errors it could be a life saver.

My xbox also has that issue, if you have the disk space for it, installing the game to your HDD helps.

My xbox also has that issue, if you have the disk space for it, installing the game to your HDD helps.

I was going to do that, but I didn't know how that would work with disc swapping and what not. Plus I've got RB2 installed atm so I've got 1.2GB free. ;_;

*Reads Tales post*

Im glad to see im not the only one who has died a few times during regular battles. :)

I love the new battle system so much, its so fluid and some of the names are class like War & Peace and Ying & Yang. I've enjoyed creating my own set-ups aswell.

Great to see Odin back, loved the summoning cutscene, lets hope he doesn't get sliced in 2 this time!

Odin had me the first 2 times, then I remembered I could make my own Paridigm shifts so i just changed the all healing shift to one a healer one an attacker and boom, much easier.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

bout 11 hours in at mo loving it so far shame got work tomorrow and friday thou gah.

I've only ever played Tactics on the GBA and quite liked it. Should I lose my main series FF virginity to this or not? The jury seems divided.

Just buy and play FFVIII; it's the equivalent of Hotel by Tori Amos. When she finally sings in the deeper voice ["Where are the velvets when you crash down"], you're broken, but you're still alive.

You think it's going to be a normal game, and then becomes so stunning when jokes start happening. Technically really awkward to play, but the story feels lovely on my skin/lips when I bring it close.

[i cried when I realised the significance of the final GF being called "Eden". AD 1: I found a little plot of land.]

ALTHOUGH, most people will just tell you to play FFVII, and be done with it. FFX is stunning, but it doesn't feel like it properly conveys what FF is about.

FFVII is the most obvious one. It's like Cornflake Girl. Never fails to rouse you in the night and leave you cowering soft as chalk, but there's more senses-shattering things to experience elsewhere (ie. VI and IX, which tell me so many things). Or its like eating milk chocolate - tastes stunning, but you can experience more with dark.

Basically, they're all so worth it [EXCEPT XII (and X-2, but that feels fun to play, if you embrace how jokes Yuna is)], but VIII is my fave.

ff8_790screen001.jpg

Does Not Suffice

Or, you could play IV V or VI Tactics or Tactics Advanced 2.

VII isn't a bad starting point either....most current fans started with it anyways.

Just buy and play FFVIII

If you love dull boring characters, a shitty story and a flawed battle system then...yeah you will love it. plus side is that the music is good and the world ain't too bad either (Just ignore the history, that TOO is a joke)

Basically, they're all so worth it [EXCEPT XII

1rzuc9.gif

Or, you could play IV V or VI,XII, Tactics or Tactics advance 2.

Edited a bit for you Nolan :wink:

Everything this man speaks the truth though.

I enjoyed the gameplay and to an extent the story(moreso than most people I know) of XII, but most characters fall flat enough and the battles are different from normal that I don't readily recommend it.

The music in the game is really great. Along with the battle music my other favourites so far are Sunleth Waterscape and Lake Bresha tunes.

If you love dull boring characters, a shitty story and a flawed battle system then...yeah you will love it. plus side is that the music is good and the world ain't too bad either (Just ignore the history, that TOO is a joke)

Well you know someone has already lost it when they post an overused animated image to try convey what they want to say. FFVIII had pretty much the best characters to date.

What I will say is that the vast majority disagree with this guy, so you will probably enjoy it more likely than not. It is probably rated as joint second best Final Fantasy in terms of popularity, probably alongside X.

I was going to do that, but I didn't know how that would work with disc swapping and what not. Plus I've got RB2 installed atm so I've got 1.2GB free. ;_;
You could install one or all the disks, doesn't matter, could just install the one you're currently on, delete the install and install the next one when you change over. But... with 1.2GB free it's not even worth discussion :heh:

Why the hell does this thread keep getting derailed with talk of other FF games? Go to the retro board if you wanna argue for the 100th time about the best FF game and lets keep this topic about XIII!

Just finished chapter 7, awesome!

The cutscene, where Snow showed up and saved Hope and Lightning by using Shiva was fantastic, had a massive grin on my face when it happened.

Im happy that Hope has finally got things sorted with Snow although I wasn't happy he got Snow injured in the process. I was sure Hope was gonna get his Eidolon when he started kicking off and then when he protected Snow but both times nothing appeared. :(

Alot of intresting stuff is starting to happen, Fang & Vanille being former crystals, Vanille having a hand in Sazh's son becoming a l'Cie. The plot thickens...

Time to grab some lunch and head then back on it.

Just finished chapter 7, awesome!

The cutscene, where Snow showed up and saved Hope and Lightning by using Shiva was fantastic, had a massive grin on my face when it happened.

Im happy that Hope has finally got things sorted with Snow although I wasn't happy he got Snow injured in the process. I was sure Hope was gonna get his Eidolon when he started kicking off and then when he protected Snow but both times nothing appeared. :(

Alot of intresting stuff is starting to happen, Fang & Vanille being former crystals, Vanille having a hand in Sazh's son becoming a l'Cie. The plot thickens...

I am around the same area as you :heh:

I am the reverse, I am glad Hope almost killed Snow, it brought him back to reality, fuck Snow was irritating through the game so far, hopefully he turns a new leaf now and might be better in his character. +1 for Hope for me (Wow, I can't believe I am giving thumbs up to the character I thought I was going to hate the most.)

Battle system is meh, music is still very bland and the story is well...a story, it ain't awful, but it ain't OMG IT'S SO TOUCHING AND IN-DEPTH, kind of like FFVII story. Speaking of FFVII...(I am not trying to derail H-O-T :heh:) But to me, FFXIII really feels like Squares answer to people wanting a FFVII type of game, don't ask me why I feel that, but what FFXIII is in my eyes is what Zelda:TP is too OOT if that makes sense.

I thought they were going for that in XIII?

At least wayback, I remember reading about someone connected to the development or something was told that the main character was supposed to be a female Cloud.

Which is funny if you look at it all "Freud" like.

Then I could be talking bull.

Just reached the first city. I love how I can just walk up to people and they will start talking with voices. No button pressing and having to read page after page of monolouges. It's so much easier and more fun this way.

Whenever I hear some woman sing, is that Leona Lewis or are there other singers as well?

Another thumbs up from me with a part of this game...FUCKING SKIP BUTTON!!!

I am so shocked that S-E would give us the freedom to skip shitty FF scenes, so wish once again that FFX had it[/QUOTE]

Why? the scenes in FFX were pretty damn good! FFX-2 was debatable because alot of the scenes were singing..

I've yet to get my copy, lets face it I can't afford it, I'm sorely tempted to go back and play FFX, its been too long!

.Whenever I hear some woman sing, is that Leona Lewis or are there other singers as well?

I think thats someone else, its quite a nice and relaxing tune, reminds me of that wifey who sang the songs on Endless Ocean.

I think its time I started getting my head around the weapon levelling system as I haven't touched it yet. It took me 20 mins to bring down the boss at the end of chapter 9 as my weapons did so little damage, it was quite a fight. :)

Haven't posted in a while but i'll give my views on FF13 as i'm currently at chapter 12, about 33 hours in.

Pros:

- Loving the characters, especially Szach he's awesome, (Vanille not so much...)

- Graphics and cutscenes are amazing obviously, loving the story in this one.

- New battle system is exciting, though one bad factor which i will mention

- It's nice knowing clearly where to go all the time

- All characters get crystal points after a battle, even those your not using

- Auto-healed after every battle, if you die you restart in front of the monster you died at and there's plenty of save points, (might seem too easy but it's defnately fair in this installment)

Cons:

- I don't have a problem with linear corridors, but some are just too long and too samey, only some though

- Controlling only one member, the downfall being if you die you all die...what? The biggest flaw with the system in my opinion

- The Doom spell, simply put when you encounter it there's no way to dodge it and if the enemy isn't dead your screwed

- Bosses Hit Points are stupidly high and they can hit stupidly hard

But yeah it's good, definately worth a play, just be prepared to die a LOT.

Edited by Arnieboy

I played the game for about 16 hours straight on the very first day, the hours just seemed to melt away. The first couple of hours were a bit boring but then things started to pick up. As everyone else has mentioned, its so far very very linear but thats not a bad thing. Battle system is very good but I feel that the gambit system in 12 offered more flexability but I suppose 13 requires you to be a little bit more strategic? Either way I like it.

I think Snow is pretty cool; hated vanille in the beginning but

once the game explains the reason why she is too happy; trying to forget the past, before her crystal state, the killing etc etc etc then I can kinda understand where she is coming from

so I've moved her from 'hate' to 'not-like' - a very difficult and time consuming procedure which cost the tax payer billions.

I'm on chapter 9 - 25 hours into the game.

Edited by Sooj

You could have written the chapter in spoiler tag. I was thinking "oh 16 hours, he's on chapter 7" and read the spoiler.

You could have written the chapter in spoiler tag. I was thinking "oh 16 hours, he's on chapter 7" and read the spoiler.

Haha. Sorry. Changed.

Chapter 11 has been kicking my butt, even regular enemies are taking some beating. I checked the G-Faqs message boards and read that the difficulty does seem to spike dramatically at this point.

I've spent the last hour level grinding at a sweet spot and will continue to do so tomorrow so I can power my way through! :)