NEurope
Charlie

Final Fantasy XIII

EDIT: Mundi, just rent it so then you won't be hounded like you are now

Wish I could, there are no real rental services on this backwater island

30hrs in and it's starting to drag a bit, I feel like it's outstaying its welcome. I'm sure it'll pick up again soon but I've started playing Revenant Wings on the DS and that's actually more fun!

30hrs in and it's starting to drag a bit, I feel like it's outstaying its welcome. I'm sure it'll pick up again soon but I've started playing Revenant Wings on the DS and that's actually more fun!

I swear chapter 10 made me almost want to smash my controller, it was so painful, to know that through 10 chapters I had to go through one straight line after another. and 10 was incredibly the worst chapter, just to go through the same area, everything looked the same.

And Revenant Wings is a fun game, but haven't you heard? people prefer animu storyline over fun gameplay nowadays

Yahtzee favorite JRPG games

Yahtzee vs. the JRPG

Is it worth keeping this game? Any tips on improving the enjoyment of this game?

I am only abit in but I find it really boring. It just seems like an endless dungeon crawl.

Alot of people say its good but I honestly just cant see it.

Any tips on improving the enjoyment of this game?

Imagine it's a PS3 exclusive.

Imagine it's a PS3 exclusive.

Well a shit game is shit. I am just wondering if thats the case. Since you mention PS3 exclusive, I think Versus will be the same, worse as its a side game like X-2.

Looking at other comments here. I guess I should sell this and use that cash to resub and continue Warcraft.

I might push on but its not grabbing me at all. The battle system seems rather dull. You dont do much in battles. There are also alot of pointless cutscenes that were not needed and just take you out of the flow of the game. The last thing I want is spend/waste 10 hours and then give up anyway.

Alot of the people who like this game probably have never played Western RPG's and their infinitely better game systems and especially combat. The past years have not been so kind to FF which has not moved forward at all. Infact this seems like step backwards. I really should give this more of a go but right now i am tempted to play a real RPG.

edit: speaking to someone i'll keep at it. But i have to say this is probably the worst start of a RPG I have ever played. Paper Mario is the best JRPG of the last couple years :p

Edited by Choze

This is just stupid. Inventing poor excuses why people like a game you don't. Maybe people just like it okay? I have played western rpgs and I can't say many positive words about them, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with either the games or people playing them.

Anyway, I'm almost got Platinum trophy. I spent considerably more time than H-O-T, I'm at 99 hours with the accessory/weapon trophy left. Think I need about 10 hours more to get it.

Alot of the people who like this game probably have never played Western RPG's and their infinitely better game systems and especially combat. The past years have not been so kind to FF which has not moved forward at all. Infact this seems like step backwards. I really should give this more of a go but right now i am tempted to play a real RPG.

edit: speaking to someone i'll keep at it. But i have to say this is probably the worst start of a RPG I have ever played. Paper Mario is the best JRPG of the last couple years :p

I believe you already get 'put down' enough on this forum when you comment, flaming others for liking final fantasy 13 will do you no favours.

Just because you state something doesn't make it fact, let otherwise have an opinion on a game they enjoy and go back to WoW.

Well a shit game is shit. I am just wondering if thats the case. Since you mention PS3 exclusive, I think Versus will be the same, worse as its a side game like X-2.

Looking at other comments here. I guess I should sell this and use that cash to resub and continue Warcraft.

I might push on but its not grabbing me at all. The battle system seems rather dull. You dont do much in battles. There are also alot of pointless cutscenes that were not needed and just take you out of the flow of the game. The last thing I want is spend/waste 10 hours and then give up anyway.

What the fuck are you on. It's got your high-end graphics; you should be 100% satisfied.

What the fuck are you on. It's got your high-end graphics; you should be 100% satisfied.

I was gonna complain about the open world textures, but then I remembered Killzone 2 doesn't have better textures.

After the amazingly slow start the game has picked up quite abit. Seems like the battle system could work well( especially once i have all the features unlocked). I like the cutscenes and even the characters seem more interesting.

There are ofcourse always annoyances but in a sense the linear gameplay isnt always a bad thing as you are moving towards the next goal in an open ended game anyway. Unlike most RPG i dont have that lingering worry that i missed stuff and need to go back.

Artwork is brilliant and the scenery is actually quite nice. Graphics are lovely. Alot less dungeon esque once you pass the starting areas. Yes it repeats but it looks nice and feels like you are part of the world now, not just floating platforms with a backdrop.

Overall , yeah looks like there is alot of fun to be had. The first hours are shockingly dull gameplay wise but its worth putting up with.

Rather than create a new thread to post my impressions, i'll stick them in here.

So i'm about half way through the 3rd chapter and I can definitely see why some people don't like this game. It's starts of very linear and is basically nothing more than a button basher for the first little while. I'm just at the point where the whole magic system is introduced and after finally wrapping my head around it, I like it. I'm guessing it's gonna take a shit load of grinding to max out everybody and all their roles but I think I prefer it to the magic systems used in the past. Obviously the visuals in this game are pretty stunning, although the constant cut scenes can be a bit annoying. I love the black dude with the afro, tis a shame they didn't give him a reggae accent. I detest the whiney little emo kid who cries about everything and i've only played 3 chapters.

I'm quite enjoying it so far.

I'm currently playing it at the moment as well. I must admit the linear stuff didn't really bother me. I could see the problem, but then I thought that Final Fantasy X was just as "bad". I loved X so I love this. I've died so many times but I think its to be expected as it takes a bit of tactical knowledge learnt after fighting the first time.

The one thing that really gets me is the footsteps. Why so bloooooody loud all the time?!

So i've completed the main story earlier and it's come in just over 49 hours. It's amazing how the game changes up after chapter 11, more like the FF's of old. I spent a lot of time grinding, so I never really struggled during any fights. The platinum looks like it will be fun :(

I've had this game for ages, but only just got into it.

Now I'm stuck, Orphan just casts his Death spell on my leader before I can beat him.

I am using buffs and de-buffs, but just can't seem to drain his health quicky enough, it's getting annoying.

I may have to grind for exp, I think my team are not quite strong enough yet.

Great game though, thouroughly enjoyed it. As long as you don't mind a 20 hour introduction and training level, I would recommend it.

I've had this game for ages, but only just got into it.

Now I'm stuck, Orphan just casts his Death spell on my leader before I can beat him.

I am using buffs and de-buffs, but just can't seem to drain his health quicky enough, it's getting annoying.

I may have to grind for exp, I think my team are not quite strong enough yet.

Great game though, thouroughly enjoyed it. As long as you don't mind a 20 hour introduction and training level, I would recommend it.

If that's the battle i'm thinking of, then use

Poison

It makes it a lot easier.

I did it in the end.

Lightning/Vanille/Hope

Rav/Rav/Rav

Med/Med/Med

Com/Sab/Syn

I just used those paradigms. Buff/de-buff, then drove the chain guage up with the Ravagers. With bouts of healing with the Medics.

Just on to the fault warrens now in the hunt missions.

Vanille and Hope in the same party? That would drive me insane. It was bad enough having to listen to Vanille dribble all the time, the both of them would have sent me over the edge. Also the fact that if you're using both of them, you're gonna miss out on Fang or Lighting.

I don't normally use Vanille, but she is an excellent Saboteur, coupled with the weapon that gives you increased de-buffs (I forget the name), she can get the hurt on immediately.

Hope is pretty weak in HP, but his magic stats are insane

Lightning annoys me, but she's my Commando.

I have Snow as a level 5 Sentinel should the need arise, which it is doing now as I am reaching the later stages of the hunt missions.

I don't normally use Vanille, but she is an excellent Saboteur, coupled with the weapon that gives you increased de-buffs (I forget the name), she can get the hurt on immediately.

Hope is pretty weak in HP, but his magic stats are insane

Lightning annoys me, but she's my Commando.

I have Snow as a level 5 Sentinel should the need arise, which it is doing now as I am reaching the later stages of the hunt missions.

I used Hope until the end of the story missions and then changed to Vanille for her win Saboteur skills. My part almost entirely consisted of Lightning, Fang and Vanille, though I did use Snow for quite a while when it came to Turtle farming.

Glad to hear you beat it

I used Sazch, Lightning and Vanille pretty much the whole way through up until the final boss where Sazch became totally useless forcing me to add Fang.

Poor Sazch :(

Should I get this game and XIII-2?

After trying several FF games over the years, I decided it wasn't for me, as I don't like the battle system (the ATB thing). Do these game change things up a little? I remember comments on a FF game that did away with the traditional battle system, but I forgot which game that was.. According to wikipedia, this game still has the ATB system.

If you don't like the ATB system then don't get this one. I recommend either the Kingdom Hearts series or the new FF game (FFXV) whenever that comes out, as that's lacking the ATB.

FFXII also does away with the ATB, there is a good PC emulated version of that.