NEurope
Ashley

Wii Hardware Discussion

Meh, depends. They couldn't really base it on a R520 without really messing with the design to ensure GameCube backwards compability. The chips ATI would have ready for the Wii, X1600 (benchmarks say not really a good gaming chip) and the X1800 (too expensive) aren't really made for a console anyway.

It's probably a way smarter move to make a special chip. If it implements all new technology ATi can deliver combined with the good old Flipper, graphics will be great.

Ya... since the flipper was such an odd chip they must have had to scale it's design. A unique chip will be much more efficient as well :)

Everyone should stop hoping for amazing graphics though. Nintendo clearly stated that they're not taking that route. If you can't live without 100000 poly count buy a 360 or a ps3 (i wonder how you survived until now), if it doesn't bother you get a wii. Well made GC games still fill my eyes with candy and I'm sure Wii will too, specially from the 2nd gen of games and after. TP is looking better and prettier than any game I've seen so far anyway.

hey guys i was just pondering and wondering if anyone could answer this question. i just got broadband and i want to connect my ds 2 the net, but i dont have any money to buy a dongle or a wireless router plus i only have mario kart so im not in the biggest rush to get 1 but i do plan on saving for a Wii. now the reason i state this is if u have a lan network setup between ur Wii and computer via usb, could u then, with the ds connectivity, connect the ds to wifi through the Wii? hope that not to complicated

@phez: I don't think you can network with your pc directly through usb. You would require a USB lan adapter for the wii which plugs into a LAN card on you PC... the lan adaptor would probably have to be made or supported by nintendo plus a PC LAN card will cost you..

Best bet is to use a wireless lan adapter on your pc similar in form to the nintendo adaptor. These can cost about £10 - £20. Then set your computer to share internet connection. Probably not so straight forward but can be done.

I'd just buy a wireless router... £35- £50... and be done with it or stick to the dongle.

Phez regardless of any gaming you should have a router. It just makes setting up computers at your house to go online so much easier :)

That and you can hold lan parties >.>

hmmmm thanx guys, the main reason i asked was coz i was just browsing article and i saw one that must have assumed u can connect it by usb to the internet. dont have a link but thanx for sorting that all out for me

@phez: I don't think you can network with your pc directly through usb. You would require a USB lan adapter for the wii which plugs into a LAN card on you PC... the lan adaptor would probably have to be made or supported by nintendo plus a PC LAN card will cost you..

Best bet is to use a wireless lan adapter on your pc similar in form to the nintendo adaptor. These can cost about £10 - £20. Then set your computer to share internet connection. Probably not so straight forward but can be done.

I'd just buy a wireless router... £35- £50... and be done with it or stick to the dongle.

the best way is to get a wireless router! otherwise your pc must be on(takes time!) sucks up power and is noisy!

hmm i just got a YSB to ethernet adaptor. im wondering if i can use my ethernet cable running from my 360 and plug it into this converter thing and use one of the USB on the back of the Wii to get on the internet. i dont have wifi at hom so i need to dongle to play ds online. so that means if i use my dongle with the Wii i would have to have my pc on, and theres no point in having the pc with internet capabitilities being on and my Wii which will have internet capabilities which i wanted to use i hope that would work.

USB is a general purpose port. The computer, xobox or wii must be setup with drivers to use the usb periphrel. Just because the plug fits means nothing.

If you actually read the link you'd know that the guy saw them putting the CD in the Wii and turning it on.

If you actually read the link you'd know that the guy saw them putting the CD in the Wii and turning it on.

oww, didn't read it.. well, hope they polish it up a little bit then.. Will buy it anyway. Love that game

oww, didn't read it.. well, hope they polish it up a little bit then.. Will buy it anyway. Love that game

You should read what is given then give a judgement/statement.Wonder what the final grahics will be like :)

Or you could just go to wii.nintendo.com, click on "hardware", and read the bit at "communication" and be enlightened : Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor.

There's no need to guess all the time : Nintendo does provide some information.

MP3 graphics are pretty good. Like I said to pedrocasilva in a conversation, there's not much to improve upon in Metroid, it's already amazing and very well made. With higher poly counts, better, AI, better textures,bigger areas, more enemies,etc this Metroid Prime 3 impressed me a lot. Of course that they could put some neat tricks in order to people say "Wow", but they are totally unnecessary.

You should read what is given then give a judgement/statement.Wonder what the final grahics will be like :)

absolutely right about that! It's just so many words:o

absolutely right about that! It's just so many words:o

I know what you mean,done that a couple of times myself in the past.

I know what you mean,done that a couple of times myself in the past.

well, the graphics are so cube-like that i could imagine the game was running on cube hardware. It;s not that the Metroid 3 graphics are up to parrrr with the hardware at this point in time..

I'm gonna have to say people aren't really getting what they're doing with Metroid Prime 3. It seems instead of making the visuals drastically different, instead they're focusing on making the areas themselves bigger and full of more objects and enemies. Both of those things take a lot more power so naturally if they're doing that too they can only make small refinements to the actual visuals, hence why most changes are just stuff like better lighting and fancier beam effects. The reality is though, a Prime game with much bigger areas, much more enemies and running in a higher resolution (16:9 is a bit higher) couldn't be done on GC, so this could be very representative of the game's Wii visuals.

Or you could just go to wii.nintendo.com, click on "hardware", and read the bit at "communication" and be enlightened : Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor.

There's no need to guess all the time : Nintendo does provide some information.

ahhhh i c, and not knowing much about routing and what not what would b the cheapest option?

I'm gonna have to say people aren't really getting what they're doing with Metroid Prime 3. It seems instead of making the visuals drastically different, instead they're focusing on making the areas themselves bigger and full of more objects and enemies. Both of those things take a lot more power so naturally if they're doing that too they can only make small refinements to the actual visuals, hence why most changes are just stuff like better lighting and fancier beam effects. The reality is though, a Prime game with much bigger areas, much more enemies and running in a higher resolution (16:9 is a bit higher) couldn't be done on GC, so this could be very representative of the game's Wii visuals.

One interesting thing the guys from Retro said was that they were working on lots of light effects but in the next game maybe their focus would be on slightly different things. Makes it sound like they are trying to persue the same path for this game graphically as the others to try and keep the style across the trilogy. Also it means that the next game is probably gonna be visually quite different.

cubed3 says: Quick News - In a financial report for Nintendo, it was been revealed the Japanese price for the Wii will be 25,000 Yen or less (~$250, £150) and it seems 6 million units will ship, alongside 17 million software units.

source

To be fair they have been developing it since 2004 and had most likely been using Cube systems or modified Cube systems.